Search

9 days in Italy - help! :)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 days in Italy - help! :)

Hey All,

I just found out that my fiancé and I will be taking our first-ever trip to Italy! It's pretty short-notice, as we leave on Sept. 26 from Toronto, Canada.

Not sure how to best spend our 9 days there. We will likely be heading to the Amalfi Coast and are wondering how feasible it is to try and fit another destination in, as well? If we spent 4-5 days in a town(s) along the coast (suggestions welcomed!), where would be a good place to head for the duration of our trip (somewhere within reasonable distance to Naples, please)? Side-note: I wish Tuscany and/or Venice were closer, as I'm dying to visit both of those locations, as well. However, since we'll likely by flying into/out of Naples, I suppose T & V will have to wait until our next trip to Italy *sigh*

It would, after all, be crazy to attempt the Amalfi Coast AND Tuscany (or Venice) in a 9 day trip... right?! Right. Just checking

Chances are we won't get back to Italy for many years, so I'd like to make an effort to see as much as possible - within reason. That said, we also want to allow ourselves the chance to relax and enjoy and NOT be on the go the entire time.

Not enough time to see/do everything we'd like to in Italy... first-world problem?!

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Molly
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 11:41 PM

What are your interests? If you are into art / history at all, you may consider going as far up as Rome. Stay near piazza Navona and walk to all the wonderful old places. Just a suggestion! I would not go to Venice / Tuscany ... your time is too short to spend at least two half days on trains. Enjoy!
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response!

My fiancé and I are not huge history or museum buffs, so Rome is not at the top of our list, however, we're not completely opposed (but if somewhere else is a better fit, then we'd go there).

We love good music, great food and wine, relaxing on a beach, exploring neat places via foot or bicycle.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 03:14 AM

Hi Molly, trains are pretty cheap in Italy, and you can usually get a eurostar train between cities that gets you there in half the time. Verona is a great city to visit if you get the chance, theres great food, romeo and julietts balcony and a great amphitheater, all within walking distance of the station.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 05:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Rome, Rome Rome.

you don't have to be interested in art to enjoy it, there is so much to see and do, you surely wouldn't regret just a few days there.

{BTW i'd been to Italy about a dozen times before I got to Rome and I kick myself regularly for leaving it so long].
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 05:29 AM

It would be easier to manage if you flew into one city and out of another. For example, fly into Naples, spend 4-5 days, then take the train to Florence, Pisa, or Venice (you may need to change trains in Rome), then fly home from there. If you need to return to Naples it makes it much more difficult.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 07:06 AM

We based in Sorrento and found that to be a good base for exploring the Amalfi Coast. We had a car and went as far south as Paestum on a day trip, and took the train into Naples a couple of times. You can see Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri easily from Sorrento and explore Amalfi itself and some of the other towns along the coast.

Naples is a very interesting city on its own--just don't try to drive there. You can easily train in and then walk around. So I would just stay in the Naples area.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 08:08 AM

If you can fly open jaw (usually no more expensive), fly into Venice and out of Naples, or vice versa (some say flights out of Venice leave too early, but I've flown Delta out of Venice twice at or a bit after 1:00 p.m.).

Otherwise, you could do as others suggest and train to Rome.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 08:19 AM
ekc

With 9 days (including travel days?), I would stick to 2 destinations - Positano and Rome. I would divide it 5 days in Positano and 4 days in Rome - but I adore Positano. You can also see some of the Tuscan countryside by taking a daytrip via train from Rome to Florence.

Since Positano is actually ON the Amalfi Coast, it is a good base for seeing the other towns on the AC - via ferry, bus or driver.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 08:56 AM

Rome is the obvious choice, but not if that is not where you want to go. Though dispel the idea that you have to go into museums if you are not interested in that.
I would even argue that you could spend 9 days in the vicinity of Naples and the Amalfi coast and never be bored, as you could stay in Naples, and then stay in two different places on the AC or the AC and one of the islands.
There is also the option to head further south (a less known area comprised of Cilento National Park and some nice tiny towns). Or, head east to the Adriatic side. I have not visited this region yet, but there are lots of great posts here about Puglia.
Note that though the season is winding down, you should be searching for accommodations on the AC now.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 05:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>However, since we'll likely by flying into/out of Naples, I suppose T & V will have to wait until our next trip to Italy *sigh*<<<

If you haven't booked flights yet, then fly into Naples and home from Rome? Venice? Pisa?
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 06:55 PM

Definitely go to Rome in addition to the Amalfi coast. Perhaps stay in 2 towns in Amalfi. Sorrento and Poisitano. In Sorrento, I highly recommend the Grand Hotel Vesuvius and Hotel Il Nido. Hotel Il Nido is a nice reasonably priced hotel, if you are on a budget. Nice family atmosphere from the owner. Good breakfast and a complimentary shuttle that takes you in to town and the train station. Great view of Vesuvius from the room and dining room. Grand Hotel Vesuvius is also very nice, beautiful pool, a bit more expensive. Wonderful restaurant in town called La Lanterna. Definitely go to Rome. Even if you don't care for museums or Vatican, there is so much to see and do. It is an easy city to get around and lots to see. Perhaps got to Pompeii on the way to Rome.