9 days in Budapest....?

Search

9 days in Budapest....?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 days in Budapest....?

I know this is a lot to ask, but if someone were able to quickly put a list together for us, it would be most appreciated. Just a couple highlights. We are not the type to pound the pavement the moment we get off the plane, as some other itineraries have suggested (I had to take a nap after reading them). We are in our 40's/50's, very active (I run every day and hubby referees ice hockey a few times a week) so we aren't slackers or disabled; however, we don't like to have something planned every single minute of the day! You know, the type of vacations were people have to come home and rest from? Yes, I realize we may never be in Budapest again, but we want to thoroughly enjoy it and not be a flash in the pan. Afterwards, we are spending 4 nights in Amsterdam. It will be a long flight to Budapest from California, so the first day should be very minimal. Breakfast is included in our Hotel every morning, so we don't need much emphasis (or none really) on a good breakfast. We are staying in the Castle District.

I have heard great things about Bela Lukas ([email protected]) but he/she may be out of business because I haven't rec'd a reply.

We are not "tour" folks (not that we are antisocial, we just prefer it be the two of us w/tour guide so we can stay somewhere longer if we choose, or leave if we want to), so any private tour guides that you may be able to refer would be appreciated.

Also, we will celebrating our 16th wedding anniversary. Without spending TOO much, any recommendations for a romantic dinner where we can just wear a nice pair of pants/dockers? We can't bring suits/tuxes this trip because we have to really scale back on luggage, which is going to be a feat in and of itself. Ouch.

Thank you!!!!

Dawn
Roseville, CA
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:19 PM

Some of the things I did are recorded on my website: www.iol.ie/~draoi

There are lots of other good things to add, including:
House of Terror
Opera
Children's Railway
Baroque Palace at Godollo
Statue Park

Budapest is easy to navigate, and public transport is good and simple to use. Just make sure you get ticketing right, as inspection is rigorous. The weekly pass at 3600 HUF is a bargain.

If you want to run, Margaret Island is the place to go.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 12:51 PM

When are you going?

My daughter and I were there for 4 nights in July. We toured the opera house but wish we could have attended a performance there. I can only imagine that it is very special.

We toured the National Gallery, but not the history museum next door. It was our first day and we were a bit jet lagged.

I would have liked to go to the gallery of foreign art, but we didn't make it. We also missed out on the tour of the Basilica which was unfortunate.

We appreciated the Great Synagogue and would definitely suggest you see the memorial in the courtyard...very moving.

It is a lovely city. We stayed on the castle side as well and enjoyed the peace of it. The city is imminently walkable and friendly. Lots of people speak English and we felt very welcome everywhere we went.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 01:40 PM

For a nice place to stay, try the B&B Bellevue (they have a web site). The hosts are fluent in English and can give you all sorts of recommendations. The Decorative Arts museum is interesting, as is the main (only?) synagogue.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

We'll be there from Oct 27 - Nov 4, 2007. Even though it is probably not the "best" time to travel, I understand that the weather may be decent. We always travel that time of the year because of our anniversary so hopefully, the weather should be okay.

I'm still hoping for a really good private tour guide that won't be ridicuously expensive...but so far, those appear to very expensive.

We are staying at the Hilton in the Castle District, which is why we could afford First Class/Biz Class airline tickets from California. But there are quite a few perks as a Diamond member w/Hilton (booze in the lounge, afternoon snacks, breakfast every morning), so the hotel is a done deal.

My husband did tape a History Channel special about underground tunnels--it was something else. I wonder if there is a tour that takes commonfolk down there or if it is just too risky for the tour companies.

Anyway, a great romantic restaurant where a suit/tie is not required (nice shirt/dockers) would be great. Our anniversary is on Halloween...I wonder if they celebrate Halloween over there? I doubt it...that is probably an American thing.

Dawn
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We enjoyed this Hungarian buffet. Yes, I know, buffet = tepid, bland, tired food. BUT NOT HERE!!!
The thing we liked about it (we ate there our first night) was that we learned the Hungarian words for foods we liked (they didn't have anything we disliked). As it turned out, the food was delicious. And the meat or fish was cooked to order. I'm not a gourmand, but I still like good food. I'd give it a 9+ on a scale from 1-10.
The only downer is, it's not walking distance from the Hilton...you'd have to take a tram or a cab. But believe me, it's worth it.
http://www.trofeagrill.com/trofea-zu...lish/index.php
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:08 AM

Bagolyvar Etterem, near Heroes's Square: http://www.bagolyvar.com/angol/index.html

Don't hail cabs in Budapest. In general, the drivers don't cheat, but they are allowed charge a moderately high rate. Call a cab, and it will be noticeably cheaper for the same journey. City Cabs have English-speaking phone operatives (as have some other firms).