9 Day Itinerary Andalusia, Spain

Dec 27th, 2016, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

9 Day Itinerary Andalusia, Spain

Hello Fellow Travelers!

I'm planning a 9 day trip to Andalusia Spain in March 2017. I'm considering two different itinerary/routes, and would love some input. My primary questions are 1) Which route is more efficient (or is there a better route?) 2) How do the allocation of days look between cities and 3) Should I do an overnight in Cordoba or Ronda?

I don't mind a fast-paced trip. I love historic sites, beautiful architecture, and cultural activities (e.g. shows, theater, museums, etc.).

Thanks in advance!

Option 1:

Day 1: Arrive in Granada in afternoon from Malaga
Day 2: Granada
Day 3: Granada
Day 4: Leave early for Cordoba (overnight in Cordoba)
Day 5: Sevilla
Day 6: Sevilla
Day 7: Day trip to Ronda
Day 8: Sevilla
Day 9: Sevilla to Malaga (Malaga overnight to catch flight)

Option 2:

Day 1: Arrive in Sevilla in afternoon from Malaga
Day 2: Sevilla
Day 3: Day trip to Cordoba
Day 4: Sevilla
Day 5: Seville to Ronda (overnight in Ronda)
Day 6: Granada
Day 7: Granada
Day 8: Granada
Day 9: Granada to Malaga (Malaga overnight to catch flight)
Dec 27th, 2016, 11:07 PM
kja

While it all depends on what YOU want to see and experience, I like option 1 better than option 2 -- but I will admit that I don't think it ideal. Here are some suggestions for your consideration:

- If your goal is to end in Malaga for a night before your flight (which I think is wise), then I would go from Sevilla to Ronda and from there to Malaga. IMO, Ronda isn't a good day trip from Sevilla; it would, I think, make sense as a place for a one-night stay between Sevilla and Malaga. Check rome2rio.com for information about your transportation options. (Do check anything you learn on that site elsewhere -- it's generally, but not universally, accurate IME).

- I am very glad that I spent 2 nights in Cordoba -- and I found more than enough to keep me fully occupied for 2 full days; many people visit it just as a day trip. Read up and decide what works for you.

If the question is really "in which direction should I make this circuit" then my answer would be a bit different -- in THAT case, I would encourage you to check opening hours and plot them against a calendar. Many things in Spain are closed on Monday, and often for all or part of Sundays too; and many things in Spain will also be closed daily for a very long mid-day break. I would want to know where those Mondays (and Sundays) fall before committing to any itinerary.

I trust you already know to reserve your day and night visits to the Alhambra as soon as you can.

Hope that helps!
Dec 27th, 2016, 11:16 PM

In option 2, make Ronda a stop on the drive from Malaga to Seville. We did that and it worked out great - just enough tie in ronda to see what there is to see.

Park underground in Av. Astein (dead-ends at the train station) and walk along the pedestrian alley called Espinel, gets you to where the action is.

Gives you a day to spend elsewhere.

Then drive from Seville to Cordoba, spend the night, and drive to Granada.
Dec 27th, 2016, 11:54 PM
kja

BTW -- no need for a car for either itinerary!
Dec 28th, 2016, 03:20 AM

Then see what's on in 3000 year old Málaga on your days there in the beginning and the end. Málaga is now Andalucía's "city of culture with its so-called 'mile of art' being compared to Madrid, and its dynamism and fine dining to Barcelona". https://www.lonelyplanet.com/spain/andalucia/malaga

A very ritch culture, theater and show scene in Málaga, here's a couple of always updated links to theater and concert events etc:
http://ocio.laopiniondemalaga.es/age...os-malaga.html
http://www.guiaflama.com/flamenco-en-malaga/

Málaga is a city of museums, and the recently opened art and archeological Museo de Málaga is the largest in Andalucía. From before you have have the Picasso and Thyssen museums, the Pompidou centre and the San Petersburg museum in the old tobacco factory, the Contemporary art museum by the river etc. etc: http://www.andalucia.com/cities/malaga/museums.htm
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-culture-spain

And you have of course the Roman theater, the Moorish Alcazaba Palace/fortress and the huge 16th century cathedral within a few hundred meters right in the city center: http://www.malagaturismo.com/en/tour...tro-romano/413
Dec 28th, 2016, 04:49 AM

I'm with the others that it makes most sense to go from Ronda on to Malaga than doubling back. Catch it on the way, and maybe catch a little bit of village life and lunch in towns like Grazalema or Zahara along the way. Option 2 might have one day too many in Granada IMO, The Alhambra is a day. The Cathedral and a walk around the Albaicín part of another. Not a fan of the market there, particularly. But again, the trip to Granada offers interesting towns to see on the way.
Dec 29th, 2016, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great advice! I think it makes sense to add Ronda en route to Malaga from Sevilla. I would also love to see the equestrian show in Jerez (not in my original post) which only happens on Tues/Thurs.

Considering this, I'm leaning toward the following itinerary. Ronda remains a day trip, but there is no backtracking now (thanks again for that suggestion).

Mon Day 0: Fly overnight
Tues Day 1: Arrive Malaga > Granada (PM)
Wed Day 2: Granada
Thur Day 3: Granada
Fri Day 4: Cordoba (AM)
Sat Day 5: Cordoba > Sevilla (PM)
Sun Day 6: Sevilla
Mon Day 7: Sevilla
Tues Day 8: Sevilla/Jerez (day trip)
Wed Day 9: Ronda > Malaga
Thur Day 10: Fly home

Also, thank you KJA for bringing up the valuable point that some sites may be closed Sun-Mon. I took a look and it's true that some are closed one of the days. I'll be sure the map them out so I don't miss anything!
Dec 29th, 2016, 11:00 PM
kja

This plan should, I think, work well for you! I'm glad the warning about timing helped.