9-10 days in Paris too much?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I silly, or would it be ok to spend our entire 9-10 day April 2007 vacation in Paris w/o going to Burgundy? Maybe a day trip? This is our second trip, but last time we went for 6 days and while I had a fab time, I felt that because we had to hit all of the major first time "must sees," we only had a small amount of time to explore neighborhoods. While there are some places we will to visit again (like the Rodin, which I think may be the most romantic spot I have ever been!), I really want this trip to be less hectic and more about relaxing at a cafe or bistro soaking in the ambiance, or walking around and visiting shops and the like.

I guess my American, Clark Griswald mentality is kicking in and I feel that if we have 9-10 days we should explore more of France, but I FELL IN LOVE with Paris our last visit.

What do you all think?
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Base yourself in Paris for the entire time. If you get bored , you can take easy day trips to Chartres, Vaux Le Vicomte, Giverny, to name just a few places, via train.

It's OK to love Paris so much that you return over and over again ...ask me how I know!

A great way to discover and explore new neighborhoods, is to buy a weekly Carte Orange and hope on and off of buses if you see something that looks interesting. We've discovered some great areas that way.

We've been to Paris umpteen times for stays ranging from two weeks to five weeks. People (not good friends or 'people in the know') always say 'you've been there, why are you going again". We answer -'because --- we've been there".

Nina

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Most of my visits have been 10 days, and I still find myself "needing" to go back the next year. There's always enough to fill the time.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:03 PM
wug

Well said Nina, we have also been to Paris umpteen times. I've lived there back in the mid 80s. I like your answer to the question "you've been there... why are you going again?" Yes!..... It's because you've been there!

We recently spent five days there. It was actually a trip to the Greek Islands where we stayed two weeks. We just couldn't go all the way across the pond and not go to Paris! This time we did nothing touristy, we just went with no agenda and wandered. It was WONDERFUL!!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:07 PM

I spent 2 weeks in paris last year and I felt like I didnt even scratch the surface! I'm going back for a few days in october to catch some of the things I missed. I don't see anything wrong with spending 9-10 days in Paris...it's a big city...and big cities like new york (where i live) and paris need loads of exploration in order to feel like you've really BEEN there.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! I don't know why I was feeling guilty about spending the entire trip in Paris!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Is Dijon a doable day trip from Paris? Have heard it's a great city, and that might take care of our Burgundy fix, for now Are there any places to taste wine there?
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:24 PM
ira

Hi IL,

>...would it be ok to spend our entire 9-10 day April 2007 vacation in Paris w/o going to Burgundy? <

Absolutely, definitely, totally, utterly, perfectly, entirely.

Should Paris, somehow pall, you can always get on a train to somewhere for a day.

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:41 PM

ilovelabs - yes Dijon is a doable day trip. We took an early morning TGV, less than two hours, spent the day enjoying this marvelous little city, had a wonderful dinner, and got back to Paris about 11:30 or Midnight.

Never feel guilty about staying in Paris - feel privileged.

Nina
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 09:58 AM

I jsut returned from my first visit to Paris (9 days) and no, it was not enough time. That said, a day trip to Chartres was a wonderful complement to Paris. I can't wait to return!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Even a lifetime isn't enough time for Paris.