Reload this Page >

$899 roundtrip, business class, Indiana/Michigan to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 01:36 PM
Rex

I don't know what to make of the fact that this post <BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/messages.cfm?fid=2&amp;tid=1286498&amp;numresponse s=3<BR><BR>"Comparing Rome hotels: Pantheon, Domus Aventina, Internazionale or Manfredi"<BR><BR>didn't attract more attention - - perhaps because the news is not really related to the header of the post - - but as "bashful" explains, Northwest has an incredible sale on business class seats for their nonstop flight from Detroit to Rome (minimum two seats) for departures through May 15.<BR><BR>A search on Expedia for these same seats, same dates, a price of $6195.62, as of today.<BR><BR>Now that I've grabbed my six at the sale price, (May 3-11), I wanted the entire rest of the Fodorite community to take a next shot at these seats. Maybe we'll see some blue ribbons across the aisle, huh?<BR><BR>Oh - - and the URL for the sale, now that we can post such things...<BR><BR>http://www.nwa.com/features/italy.shtml <BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 05:10 AM
Rex

to the top, for Beth Anderson<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 07:41 AM
Diane

Excellent deal -- if only it weren't Northwest. But at that price it would be worth the risk!

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 07:49 AM
arjay

OK, here's a stupid question....coming from someone who unfortunately travels steerage only...what IS business class? When I get on a plane, I see the first class seats....and then the rest of the squished together ones in coach. Does Business Class mean you get a lst class seat...but no one speaks to you and there's no wine?? Or...?? Thanks for educating a peon.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 09:43 AM
Curt

Arjay<BR>On planes that have Business Class there are three cabins, First, Business, and Coach. Business is much like First, the seats are bigger, more leg room, fewer seats across the cabin, better food, unlimited free drinks, etc, etc. It is not quite as roomy as First, the meals are not quite as good, but it is much better than coach. Some airlines have done away with First and combined the First and Business into something called by whatever name they want (TWA for example calls theirs TransWorld One). Most still offer three classes of service on international flights, but most domestic flights offer only First and Coach (some coast to coast flights offer all three). Cost of Business is between First and Coach, and is usually very expensive compared to coach (at least at "sticker" prices).<BR><BR>On some planes when you enter the door you actually walk through Business cabin to get to Coach, as First is in the very front of the plane and you would have to turn left to get to it rather than right. Maybe that explains why you have not noticed the three cabins on international flights.<BR><BR>Hope this helps. Happy flying.

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 09:44 AM
zz-top

whoa! if you can get a cheap flight to Detroit, this is an excellent price to fly to Rome in the comfort of the business class section.<BR>Price is good until April 10th.

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Caitlin

Actually, the difference between business and first can be less than Curt implies. The seats in business aren't quite as roomy as in first (but a hell of a lot roomier than in coach), and you may get less constant attention, but on a lot of airlines, that's really it. You still get leather seats with leg rests, free entertainment and booze and lots of attention, including drinks and snacks before you even take off and whenever you want, etc. (BTW, my only experiences have been when I was unexpectedly bumped up!) As for food, all can say is once on American we were bumped up and during the meal service, they ran out of the entree that we both rquested. The flight atendant told me to hang on, and came back a minute later with the same entree from the first-class service. His was in a china version of the square plastic container the coach meals come in, while mine was on a regular china plate. The flight attendant pointed this out and said, "now you know the difference between first and business class." In other words, a few more inches of seat space.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Rex

Asked about this today.<BR><BR>Note that I no longer use this hotmail e-mail address. And that this is one year old news.<BR>