$850!! one week munich apartment??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$850 for a week apartment seems expensive to me. it's in the city...convenient, especially for biking. can you suggest an apartment that's more reasonable?
thanks.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 10:03 PM

Well, long term unfurnished appartments between 65 to 70 squaremeters rent at about $1200 per month. It will be more expensive only in the inner city but you won't find much cheaper offers in the suburbs. If it's actually in the inner city or in Schwabing, the price in not too bad.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 10:24 PM

Short-term rentals for travellers are always more expensive. These are offered for the specific purpose of generating income for the owners, taking advantage of the needs and requirements of those who prefer not to stay in a hotel or pension.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Wow! That does seem high, especially considering that we rented a vacation apartment just about an hour and a half away from Munich, near Berchtesgaden, for about 40 euro per night! It is a city, so I guess it should be more expensive, but we've rented apartments in the heart of Rome, near Piazza Navona, for less than half that amount. I personally would check around before settling on paying that.

Tracy
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 05:27 AM

$850 is about 644 Euros...and for one week, that comes to about 92Euros a night. In Muncih city, this does not seem that expensive to me. When you rent an apartment, you also pay for utilities, cleaning, and tax -- and *usually* (not always) these are already considered in the price.

It's been my experience that short term rentals -- or self catering flats (which you may want to search on) -- are far less expensive (and roomier) than hotel rooms.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 05:33 AM

Seems high to me too. I'd consider checking Priceline.com for a luxury hotel at that approx per night cost. At least you'd get a nice German breakfast included in the deal.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 06:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
there are apartments and then there are apartments. W/o knowing the size/location etc it is <u>totally impossible</u> to tell you if that is a lot, a bargain, or about right.

A studio just outside the city center is one thing, a 2 bd 2 bath on a posh central city street is an entirely different matter. A 3rd floor walk up or a modern bldg w/ an elevator - totally different.

So tell us more and we can tell you more. (I'd guess decent flats in Munich would run from about $500-$600 per week up to $2000 or more.)
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 06:35 AM
ira

Hi W,

That's only about 90E/night.

Old Dec 9th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Renting an apartment &quot;an hour and a half away&quot; from Munich cannot be used to compare prices for renting an apartment an hour and a half closer IMO.

You can look at bidding for travel to see what kinds or prices people have paid in Munich in the past and don't assume that with a priceline bid you are automatically going to gte breakfast included..read the fine print before you put any bids in.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 02:23 PM

are yoy staying in the city because that's where you want to do things, or are you using it as a base for day trips. If the latter is the case, then you might want to look in towns outside the city. How many are there in your party?
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 04:36 PM

Dukey, I wasn't implying that one should compare a small country village to a big city such as Munich. I was just mentioning it as I was thinking about the cost, as I still think the apartment sounds kind of high when compared to vacation apartment rentals in other European cities such as Paris or Rome. But I've only visited Munich a few times, and never stayed there.

Tracy
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 06:19 PM

I'm not sure how anyone can suggest that price seems high without seeing the apartment. There are apartments and there are apartments. I DO understand that willis is looking for a less expensive one. &quot;reasonable&quot; is not the same as &quot;cheap&quot;. If this apartment is in a great neighborhood and is nicely furnished then it is certainly &quot;reasonably priced&quot;. On the other hand if it is bare bones minimal and not in the best of areas, then maybe it isn't &quot;reasonably priced.
And for the record, it is not the least bit unusual to pay at least 622 euro per week -- generally a lot more, in fact -- for a &quot;nice&quot; apartment in Rome or Paris.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 06:51 PM

willis started another thread asking about a flat in Munich - but he still hasn't given us any details. As NeoPatrick and I both mentioned -- <b><u>there is absolutely no way</u></b> anyone can possibly say if $850 is too much or not.

Come on, willis, give us some help here . . . .
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 05:00 AM

janis, too funny. I somehow overlooked your post above. I can't believe we both used the same phrase, &quot;there are apartments and there are apartments.&quot; Great minds. . . huh?
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 05:35 AM

Of course you are both right. I obviously haven't seen the apartment and again, I'm not familiar with the costs of apartments in Munich as I've never actually stayed there.

I've stayed in apartments in Rome and researched apartments in Paris that were a lot less than that (althouth there are lots that are alot higher than that as well) which is why I made my statement above, but I also understand that one cannot make comparisons based on apartment prices in another city.

Tracy
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

ttt
thanks for all your comments. we're still searching for that illusive person who has rented an apt. they liked in munich. bob is diabetic and we want to eat breakfast/dinner in, rather than in restaurants. any help you give is appreciated.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 08:17 AM

willis - please help us out here. We really DO want to give you some suggestions. What is your budget? Tell us the location/description of the &quot;expensive&quot; flat, etc. (providing the url would be a BIG help)

Did you reag logos' post on your other thread about it not being that practical to use bikes to get around Munich?
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

.janisj: vrbo 60515. i included to cleaning charge of $50 in the price of the apt.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 01:21 PM

OK, willis - you did pick the most expensive of the 4 VRBO listings in Munich. It has a lot of extras including loaner bicycles and a garage -- both VERY unusual in a vacation apartment.

If budget is important, why not look at the others that cost less (but don't have bikes or a garage, terrace, dishwasher, garden or ice maker)

You do tend to get what you pay for.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 01:28 PM

If that includes cleaner, garage, free bikes etc in city centre then it sounds perfectly reasonable.