8 weeks in Europe

Jan 4th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

8 weeks in Europe

My husband, 20 yr old daughter and I are driving through Europe for 8 weeks in a lease car in April/May. Starting from Paris heading to Amsterdam, then into Germany. Staying with relatives near Hannover and then heading to Munich (more relatives. From there to Innsbruck, Salzburg, Vienna, Graz, Venice, Florence, Rome, Pisa, Nice, through parts of Switzerland and back to Paris. We don't want to drive into any big cities so were thinking of staying just outside Amsterdam,and Rome aand catching trains into the cities. Does anyone have any information they can help with on this. Also were thinking of maybe taking a one day train trip into Berlin from near Hannover. Somewhere where we can park the car easily and catch a fast train.
Also would like to know how long it takes to drive from Venice to Florence. Florence to Rome. Rome to Pisa. Pisa to Nice. Maybe some freeways but also scenic roads.
Any other accommodation advice would be good too. Probably stay pensions mostly. Sometimes triples sometimes double and single. Not to expensive but clean
Jan 5th, 2007, 12:46 AM

Staying outside Amsterdam makes sense. Train service is excellent, so there is no problem in getting into the city. But I would not consider a one day excursion to Berlin to be worthwhile, no more than staying in Florence and going to Rome for a day, or staying in Lyon and taking the TGV to Paris for a day.
Jan 5th, 2007, 01:06 AM

We are spending a similar time in Europe during the same months. This might help you in the Netherlands.
www.bedandbreakfast.nl/index.php?lang=en

Where in Switzerland are you going? I have just booked our accommodation but have not found any pensions but here are two sites that may help you. This is for budget hotels www.rooms.ch/ and this is for Bed and Breakfasts www.bnb.ch/index.php?m=1

Hope this gets you started. Might be a good idea to get your bookings done as soon as you can.

Jan 5th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for info so far. Have booked accommodation in Paris at the start of the trip and London for the end but not sure about the rest because we don't want to be too committed to times. Like spending a few days in Graz with relatives - if we get sick of them we will head of to Venice sooner and have more time there. Is it really necessary to book in April/May.
Switzerland we are coming into from Grenoble way and somehow working our way to Interlaken and then maybe Luzern and then Bern before heading towards Paris. My husband and I have seen quite a bit of Switzerland before (25 years ago) so its mostly to show our daughter. My husband and another daughter where in Switzerland in Nov and stayed in Bern, Interlaken and Zurich. They were pretty happy with their hotels and prices. Booked directly to hotels via internet. No depsits. Let me know if you want names
Jan 5th, 2007, 04:46 AM
ira

Hi L,

Driving directions and times are at www.viamichelin.com and www.mappy.com.

You will need a road tax sticker for Austria and another one for Switzerland.

You will need International Driver's Permits in Italy and Austria. See www.aaasouth.com/travel_drivers.asp#idp

Jan 5th, 2007, 08:23 AM

Another thought: why Nice? From Pisa you can go up to Milan and the lake region and pass into Switzerland. Nice is a long detour. Alternatively you could go to Nice and then follow the road closest to the French-Italina border to Chamonix and then Geneva. But if you do that, you might feel that you do not need Switzerland.