8 nights in Croatia in September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After years of talking about it, I'm finally going.

I enjoyed the Backroads - Norway hiking adventure of last July so much I am going with that tour company again. I made some nice friends on that trip and one couple travels at every opportunity - every US holiday finds them somewhere - and after back and forth emails we settled on the Dalmatian Coast hiking trip to meet up.

This will be 8 nights, of which three are on my own. The tour starts in Dubrovnik and I'll be landing one day early to wander off my jetlag, there... and ends in Split which means the last two nights will be in Split - the tour with Backroads ends Friday at lunch and then two nights on my own/with friends before an early flight Sunday morning.

Dubrovnik/Konvale first day including hike
Peljesac Peninsula for a hike second day
Korcula/Vela Luka the next day (hike) and boat to Hvar where we sleep.
Two nights in Hvar including at least one hike along the coast
Brac Island the final night (more hiking)
Travel to Split final morning before we disburse.

This will mean 1.5 days in Split to do whatever. Diocletian's palace Friday afternoon for certain. In my shoes, would you just stay and explore Split all day Saturday or would you attempt anything else outside of Split on Saturday? What would be the top things you'd want to see in Split after the palace?

I think Plitvice Lakes will be out of the question, that's just too much travel time. I'd have to stay an extra day to do that, and even then it would be a hike.

No matter what, this will mean many more photos!

Thanks.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 11:48 AM

I know that I will get beaten up about this BUT I don't think you should cry in your beer about missing Plitvice.
My opinion is that it is just nice. I read so much about the waterfalls. Well. Go to Niagara Falls. That is a waterfall.
Just my opinion.
But the rest of your trip sounds lovely. And I know the pictures will be.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 12:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I will agree to disagree with Sher's assessment of Plitvice:

http://www.travelswithmaitaitom.com/...0_Entry_1.html

Old Mar 29th, 2012, 03:50 PM
kja

There is a LOT to see in Split itself and nearby Trogir (which is easily reached by local bus) is also worth a half day or more. Much as I loved the Plitvice Lakes (and I did love them, but wouldn't try to compare them to Niagara Falls, which is a very different beast), I'm glad I had about 2 days for Split and Trogir and believe I would have enjoyed another day there. The top things to see depend on your interests. Any good guide book to the area should give you information on which to make your choices.

It's a beautiful part of the world - enjoy!
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 12:06 AM

I agree that there are plenty of things to do in Split. If you cycle at all, there is a very lovely ride out to Marjan Hill that takes a few hours and can include a swim. You might like to read the details on http://www.aussieinfrance.com/2011/1...ng-in-croatia/.
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. With the short time I think I'll stick with Split (maybe Trogir?) and leave Plitvice for another trip.

I'm reeling with the good travel news - I found out, barely an hour after I posted, that our planned departmental conference in Santiago is going to include an optional excursion to Easter Island after it ends (on our own dime, naturally). Croatia and Easter Island in one year, crikey! Talk about blasting through the bucket list.