8 hours in Paris between planes

Jan 24th, 2002, 05:56 AM
julie

8 hours in Paris between planes

Help please! Our plane gets into CDG at 12:00. Next plane leaves from Orly at 20:00. We want to spend the afternoon in Paris exploring an interesting neighborhood and having a meal. We'll be there next month so we need an area where there would also be indoor options in case the weather is bad. Please help us with logistics. We'll each have one suitcase on wheels to deal with, and want to find a place to leave the suitcase while we explore for the afternoon. Using public transportation, what would be the best (and least confusing)way to get from to CGD to an area of the city where we could leave our suitcases, explore, and then find easy public transportation to Orly (we don't want to get lost and miss our plane)? We will also have 3 days in Paris at the end of our trip staying in the Latin Quarter, so this isn't our only shot at Paris. If you can help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Jan 24th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Mike

Being realistic, this 8 hours does not give you lots of time. Looks like you have two choices: go right into Paris from CDG and drag your bags everywhere you go, or go from CDG to Orly, check in for the other flight and leave bags (if possible) or store the bags in left luggage then go into Paris for a while.

The 2nd option will use lots of time. If you arrive at 12 by the time you deplane, clear customs, etc, it will likely be 1 by the time you get out of terminal. The travel time to Orly by Air France bus is 50 minutes, and they only leave every 30 minutes. You could take a cab to Orly. So lets say you get to Orly by 230 or so. Check in and leave bags, then travel back to Paris, another 30 minutes by Air France bus, which drops you off at Invalides which is only a short walk from Eiffel tower, and you could see tower and have bite to eat then take bus back to Orly. So now by the time you get into Paris it will be around 4, and you need to be back for 8 pm flight. Assuming you are already checked in then you will need to be back at Orly by 7, so you will have to leave Invalides at 6 and that means you will have about 2 hours maximum in Paris.

Is it worth the hassle? That is your call. Why not delay the second flight until the next day, spend the night in Paris and the next day and then go on?

For good info on airports in Paris go to this link:

http://www.adp.fr/webadp/a_cont01_an...Fhome?ReadForm

Jan 24th, 2002, 06:56 AM
bob

You might be able to store bags at Air France office at Invalides. Ride bus from CDG to Paris, then go to the Invalides office (the bus from CDG goes to another office) and store bags, will buy you some time.

Jan 24th, 2002, 08:33 AM
janis

This will be tough. You need to be at Orly 3 hours prior to your flight out. Assuming you land on time and don't spend 30 minutes out on the tarmac waiting for a gate and get your luggage and get through CDG in an hour - that still means you only have about 4 hours to get into Paris, see something, eat and get back out to Orly (which takes 30-45 minutes). You won't have any time to "explore".

So I second Mike's suggestion. Lay over one day and actually spend some time in the city.

Otherwise, I would skip going into the city and just transfer to Orly.

Jan 24th, 2002, 08:40 AM
kelly

Heres a thought... it's true you don't have a lot fo time. Jump in a taxi, with baggage to whatever area you want to see. Try and stop in a hotel and pay them a few euros to store the bags. I have done this is other cities, but not Paris, and I have never been refused. If you have reservations for when you get back to the city, you could also try your hotel who would likely be willing to keep the bags for you. Good luck!

Jan 24th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Christina

The problem is the luggage. I would go with the option of just going to Orly first from CDG and trying to leave your bags there. YOu can then travel freely by RER/metro into the city, at least Left Bank, and back to Orly. With the checkin times required now (I'm assuming your Orly flight is international), that doesn't leave you much time at all, but at least you'll know how much time you have to fill. The only caveat to all of this is that they may not allow you to leave any baggage at the airport in left luggage. I think they have closed down those facilities and they have been closed a long long time, even before Sept 01, at the airports. I think there used to be such things at the train stations but suspect they have again been closed. If the airline will let you check your bags that early (some won't), that's the thing to do.

I think Mike has the best plan, take the AF bus to Invalides; you can take navette from Orly to Antony RER stop and then go to Luxembourg stop around Sorbonne and the gardens, but if you don't know Paris and their transportation system, that will be trickier. Before planning anything, call AF and/or your airline and find out if you can leave bags at Orly, when you can check them, and if you can leave them at Invalides.

Jan 24th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Gretchen

There is no left luggage at the airports. If you can check your bags at Orly to your destination that would be best. So now it is probably about 2PM at least. The cab ride to the city and back is at least 1 1/2 hours (combined)--not counting the fact you will be returning to Orly at rush hour. So now it is theoretically 3:30PM. You have to be at Orly at least 2 hours, maybe 3 someone mentioned before your flight. That gives you just about 2 hours to do "something" in Paris. It just doesn't seem to work for me. Gare du Nord has a left luggage facility normally but Paris is under the heightened security regulations (can't remember the name)so it might not be operating. You could take a cab to the hotel you will use later and see if they will keep it. It is just so much "doing" and uncertainty.
I think there is a very nice hotel near CDG (not the airport hotels--about 15 miles from CDG). Maybe a nice lunch there would be more relaxing. Someone will know the place I am speaking of.

Jan 24th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Grasshopper

What a bunch of negativity! I'd go with Kelli's suggestion. While you won't be able to explore the area you can always have a fabulous lunch opposite Notre Dame. We did that one Mother's Day and it was very special.

Jan 24th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Juoie

Thanks, I guess?? Now, I'm even more confused. I thought this would work out fairly easily. I'm really surprised at the need for the early check-in. Icelandair (the carrier we are flying from the US0 told me that when we come back to the US we only need to check in 1 hour before the flight since we first stop in Iceland and that isn't really considered an international flight. When I made the reservations, Air France had told me they thought I could make it to Orly for a 3:00 plane (this is a flight within France)even though my plane from the US didn't land until 12:00 at CDG. We decided to skip that idea and go for the later plane. We decided that was cutting it too short and opted for the later flight. Now you are all telling me that a 2-3 hour early check in is the norm. I had 2 more ideas. Tell me if either one of them might work. How about going (with my suitcase) to the Orsay and leaving my suitcase at the coatcheck while I tour the museum, and then taking my suitcase to a restaurant with me? Or, are there any semi-interesting areas near either of the airports where we could easily walk a bit and then get a bite to eat? One more related question. Does this mean that throughout France we will not be able to take a train in, use a left luggage area while we sightsee for a few hours, and then continue on our train trip? Have all place closed their left luggage areas? I really appreciate all your help. Thanks so much.

Jan 24th, 2002, 10:03 PM
janis

Musee d'Orsay isn't an option unless you purchase the Paris Museum Pass before you get to the museum. Otherwise the line to get into the museum can easily be over an hour in length. With the pass you can walk right in - but the queue to get your bags out can take 15 to 20 minutes or more. You have to stand in the same line as those dropping things off and it takes forever. The same goes for the line for the audio guides - you have to leave eithet a credit card or passport for deposit and then have to wait is the same line to get your documents back - easily 15 or more minutes each time.

You can buy the Museum Pass at the airport or in a metro station - but you would be paying a lot to just get into one museum (albeit - my fav).

As for left luggage throughout France - it is a station to station question. Some do, some don't. You need to check on each individually.

As for your comments about how long you need for check-in at Orly. One thing to remember - the time needed may not have anything to do w/ Iceland Air. many airlines use the same terminals and the lines can be very loooong, or short. The trouble is you won't know which it is until you get there.

It would be a shame to miss your non-refundable flight because you couldn't get your luggage out of the museum in time or were stuck in a too long line at Orly.

Some folks may say "go for it" - be spontaneous. But the day you fly home is not the day to risk this trip into the city.

Search this Thread