Search

8 days in Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2017, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 days in Portugal

Dear Friends,

Me and my wife are planning a trip in July to Portugal. We are from Goa, India and would like to visit Portugal next year for a period of 8 days. Arrival and departure not included.

Lisbon will definately be on our itinerary. Can you please suggest some more options and a tentative itinerary.

We love to explore the place on our own, try local cuisine and experience the local culture. We also love medival cities and history.

Look forward to some suggestions please.

Thanks,
Nitish
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 06:38 AM

Split time between Lisbon and Porto -take train between. For lots of info on trains and where to to with the check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 06:43 AM

In addition to Lisbon, I would do a day trip to Sintra which is easily connected by train from Lisbon. Lots to see in Sintra (Pena palace, castle of the moors etc). Make sure you go to Sintra when its bright and sunny in Lisbon. Check the weather. Sintra has its own microclimate up on a hill and more likely than not if its cloudy in Lisbon it will be pouring rain in Sintra and you won't see a thing. Trip to Obidos a pretty white village from Lisbon is also highly recommeneded. We visited Tomar which we found less touristy and we specifically were impressed with the Convent of Christ. Coimbar a university is further north and nice for a day or two to take in the sights. You don't seem to be interested in wine so I wont recommend the Douro valley which is beautiful and quite an experience.
Also from Lisbon based on your interest I would recommend Evora. http://davidsbeenhere.com/2016/07/15...ngs-see-evora/
Lastly from Evora you can explore some of the little hilltop white washed villages like Monsaraz if you rent a car. The roads are excellent and driving in Portugal is easy.
I don't recommend Algarve because you don't seem to have an interst in beaches.
As you can see plenty to see and do over 8 days. Hope you have an excellent trip.

Here is a link to my trip report that details our trip

https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...ra-algarve.cfm
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 07:24 AM

Oporto and the Douro Valley (you can go by boat up to Pinhao) n.roteirododouro.com/douro-river-cruises?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiJ7P1b-b2AIVaLvtCh0NzALREAAYAyAAEgKuffD_BwE
and others.

Coimbra and it's old university

archeological site of Evora

small towns like Guarda, Castelo Branco, Covilha, Viseu, Aveiro, Guimaraes.....
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 07:27 AM

Obidos - stop between Lisbon and Porto?
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions. A few more questions please :

1) Is it possible to do the 10 days suggested by MNAG all by ourselves. We have seen Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands etc all by our own using public transport, since it is very convenient. Im not sure of Portugal though.

2) how expensive is Portugal...would we get a decent hotel in a nice location with breakfast for 80 euros per day

Thanks....
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 07:15 AM

2) how expensive is Portugal...would we get a decent hotel in a nice location with breakfast for 80 euros per day>

Check various hotel sites like hotels.com to see or guidebooks.

No 10 days would be too ambitious for that itinerary but Lisbon-Obidos-Coimbra-Porto would be.

Trains go to all those places.
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 08:45 AM

" Is it possible to do the 10 days suggested by MNAG all by ourselves?"
Why not? Concerning transport and accommodation, Portugal is not different from other Western European countries.