Reload this Page >

8 days between rome and florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2002, 07:32 PM
danilo

Planning on travelling in late August. Should we spend more days in Rome or in Florence/Tuscany?

Old May 31st, 2002, 10:47 PM
Leslie

danilo - do you have a total of 8 days for all of these places? If so, I would spend 3 days in Rome, 3 days in Florence and 2 days seeing what you can of Tuscany. Ideally, more time than this should be allotted for Rome and Tuscany. Three days in Florence is enough to see the major tourist sights and the three major art museums but not enough if you wish to see ALL the art museums.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 07:12 AM
danilo

Leslie, thanks for the insight. I do have only 8 days in total for Rome and Florence. I think I'm going to take your advice and split up my days that way. Do you have any other advice: wine tastings, museums, food, etc.? Thanks.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:49 AM
ed

At the coliseum, there are (what appear to be) american college students outside who will hit you up for a free tour of the outside. It is actually free and very interesting, altho you might think itis a scam. They have some neat stories about the history. The only thing they hit you for is to listen to their commercial at the end of the tour. They work for a company that does guided tours of Rome. Their commercial speil only lasts 2 or 3 min at the end, and they tell you this right at the beginning. Most people did tip the kid a few, whatever...and felt it was well worth it for a bit of history and funny stories.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:52 AM
Bruce

Danilo - I had the same amount of time to split between these two cities in late April. There are a few things to consider. When are you flying in and out and where will you be flying into. <BR> Personally, my girlfriend and I liked Florence better than Rome. Although, Rome is not to be missed. I agree with Leslie in that 3 days in Rome is sufficent. You may be a little rushed, and if you want a slower pace, plan on four days. You will be able to see Florence in 3 days, much more comfortably than Rome in 3 days. You will find that the majority of the museums are closed on Monday, so be sure to keep this in mind when planning your agenda. This may be a good day to drive through Tuscany, or travel from Rome to Florence. <BR> When traveling through Tuscany, be sure to see the Duomo in Sienna. This is the single most ornate building that I have ever been in. Also, be sure to climb to the top of the Museo de Opera(right next to the Duomo). The view is not to be missed. <BR> I have all kinds of information if you would like it, hotels, restraunts, what not to miss. We had a really great vacation and will defintely return to Italy.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:37 AM
nora

I personally would recomend more days in Rome and day trips, then Florence and daytrips to outside Tuscany. However, it all depends on your interest, and which time periods and areas you are more interested in. Which is calling you more from your interest in art, history, literature, etc. and then go from there.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:53 AM
Bob

Rome is not to be missed nor is Florence and Tuscany. One is crowded and rushed...Rome...and one is more relaxed...Tuscany and Florence. You have to pick what appeals to you.<BR><BR>Book your tours of the sites in Florence ahead of time so you can walk right in. August is hot and tends to not be as crowded as some months, but the advantage of having tickets ahead of time for the Accademia and Uffizi is fantastic....especially when you walk up and see all the people wasting time in line and you can walk right in. You can do this on the web.<BR><BR>Rome: Best way to see the city initially is to hit the high points by a bus tour, Grayline or Am Express. Take the day long tour on the bus and you will see quite a bit with minimum hassle as the traffic in Rome is terrible, even in August.<BR><BR>Be prepared for heat in August. We were there in early August, not late, and it was hot! Florence can be the same.<BR><BR>My vote: More Tuscany, Florence...less Rome for a more relaxing trip. Get a car and do Tuscany by traveling around with Siena or Florence as your base. Great area!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:13 AM
Ted

My vote would be for more Rome and less Florence, unless you're a serious art fan. I found Rome much less busy and much more pleasant than Florence. Florence is so crowded with tour groups and Vespas, and the streets are so narrow. Rome seems to accomodate the crowds much better. The locals in in Rome were friendlier than in Florence, as well.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:01 AM
cvd

Bob, you mention renting a car and we plan to that, but I have a question. We will fly into Rome for 4 days, take the train to Florence and spend 4 days, and then are booked into Siena for 3 nights. Would you recommend renting the car in Florence and driving to Siena, or waiting until we are in Siena to pick up the car? We have to then travel to Pisa for our return flight. thanks

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:34 PM
danilo

To everyone.<BR>Would going around on our own, meaning without the help of a tour guide, be a bad idea? By the way, Bruce, we will be there mid August. What's the best way to get to Sienna: car, bus, or train? Thanks.