Help with 10 day Italy Itinerary

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Help with 10 day Italy Itinerary

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are going to Italy for 10 days at the end of May, and I am wondering which itinerary we should do (we already have our plan tix which are roundtrip out of Rome):

No 1:
Rome
Rome
Rome (train to Venice)
Venice
Venice
Venice (train, perhaps overnight, to Naples)
Sorrento/Capri*
Sorrento/Capri (day trip to Pompeii)
Sorrento/Capri
Rome
*We're not that interested in staying in Naples so I thought we'd stay in Sorrento or Capri and do a day trip to Pompeii. The main draw for this part of Italy is Pompeii and Capri for the beaches.

No. 2:
Rome
Rome
Rome (train to Venice)
Venice
Venice
Venice (train to Florence)
Florence
Florence
Florence (train back to Rome)
Rome

Since Venice is so far from Rome and Naples, we thought it'd be less stressful to go to Florence instead of Sorrento/Capri. It doesn't even seem like the weather will be reliably warm enough to go to the beach at the end of May. We've never been to Italy so I think we'd enjoy either itinerary. I just wanted to get people's thoughts as to which was more realistic given the time and the distances. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 05:03 PM

You'll burn a lot more travel time on Trip 1, so I'd vote for Trip 2.

Does your 10 days include your arrival and departure days? If so, you really only have 8 days, as many people are too jet-lagged to get much out of arrival day, and departure day is taken up with ... departing.

Nonetheless, I vote for taking a day from Florence and adding it to Rome. Rome takes three full days at the bare minimum: one for ancient Rome, one for St Peter's and the Vatican Museum, and one for as much of everything else as you can cram in. I would also return to Rome on the evening of your last full day rather than allowing a sightseeing day in Rome at the end of your trip.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice.

No, the 10 days doesn't include travel time; it is 12 days with travel days. What do you think about the order of Itin 2?
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 06:08 PM

If you do #2, I'd head directly to Florence on arrival, then Venice, then put all the Rome days together at the end. You can be in Florence 3 hours after you plane lands at Rome airport--shuttle train from FCO airport to Roma Termini station (30 mins), then train from there to Florence (Firenze SMN) (90 mins).
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Consider extra time in Rome- worth 5+ days
Also, Tuscany is wonderful and along with Florence you could enjoy: Cortona, Siena, Arezzo. So I guess #2 is best when you consider time is a factor.
Overall, I question Venice? I feel that Rome, Serrento, Florence be be equally enjoyable with the time allowed. I agree: less Florence and MORE Rome, You'll love it!
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Very helpful.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 04:51 PM

ttt
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Cranberry,

What do you want to see in Italy? The places you are choosing between are so very different in every way, it would be a shame if you ended up spending a lot of time in urban Florence just because it is easy when you would rather be in car-free Venice or at the lemon-filled seaside or seeing farm country and vinyards.

You seem to be in a position to choose just about anything. So what do you enjoy? Florence is really for people wild about Renaissnce art. I love it, but will you?
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:59 AM

I would vote trip #2.
If it is your first trip to Italy I think Florence should be part of your itinerary. You could even considered half day in Pisa that is only 1h away by train.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 11:18 AM

This post is a year old.