Reload this Page >

8 countries in 6 days?

Search

8 countries in 6 days?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 10:34 PM
bob

8 countries in 6 days?

OK, you'll all call me nuts, but my plan is to get a one week Eurail pass, spend every night on an overnight train, perhaps journey a bit during the day as well, and see as much of Europe as I can in a week.<BR><BR>Obviously, this means I'll need to spend each day many miles from the day before.<BR><BR>Any suggested itineraries?<BR><BR>Bob

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 10:57 PM
IMO

Why Bob, Why? Is this a new Olympic event? You'll see more of Europe staying in one little town in France, Italy, or Spain for a week then you will running from place to place to place....Don't be silly. Take a chill pill dude and land in one place and soak it in. You won't be sorry. You will be sorry if you do it the other way.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 11:07 PM
M. Giggle

No suggested itineraries, but a few tips: <BR><BR>1. Reserve your couchettes or sleepers well in advance, and of course make sure that there ARE sleeping cars on each of your planned routes.<BR><BR>2. Get first class sleepers unless you really want to rough it. At least some nights, you will want a shower.<BR><BR>3. Try an overnight train trip before you go, to check how you feel the next day. Then multiply that by a week. You will probably feel the movement of the train most of the time you are on solid ground, if you sleep on a train every night.<BR><BR>4. Take routes that will give you at least 9 hours on the train each night to prepare and sleep.<BR><BR>5. Spend your first night in Europe in a hotel or b&b, to recover from jet lag.<BR><BR>An interesting idea -- good luck!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 12:35 AM
heiii

sorry to ask you this, but...are you Japanese ? I mean it, because, that all that rush, sounds like a Japanese organized tour. Dozens of places in a couple of days, then you take loads of pictures, and then when you get home...you enjoy the pictures.<BR>Sorry mate...but I think that´s wrong

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 02:41 AM
Hiho

Sounds good for a lark, but I hope you have a chance to enjoy other European travels at a slower pace. (I do take it that you see it as a lark)

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 03:07 AM
Paige

Just fyi, a lot of train stations have showers. Where are you planning to start and end?

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 03:15 AM
Sue

There's a book out called the Eurail and Train Guide to Europe (and other similar ones) that sound perfect for you, since these books take the point of view that riding the train is part of the vacation, not just transportation. They often give suggested train routes, and even a brief rundown of sights near the stations you'll be pulling into.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:52 AM
video

Try to get a copy of If it's Tueday it must be Belgium-sometimes on TV.You will get the idea!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Vita

Where are you flying from and where when were you thinking of going?

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Whiskers

A truly dumb idea that will be executed by a truly stupid person.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:35 AM
jahoulih

How about Paris-Barcelona-Zurich (or Milan)-Vienna-Berlin-Amsterdam-Paris?<BR><BR>(Note that the Amsterdam-Paris night train doesn't start running until April 26.)<BR><BR>Start and end in whichever city you can get the cheapest flight to.<BR><BR>Be sure to look at this website:<BR><BR>http://www.twenj.net/tipsnighttrains.htm

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:43 AM
elvira

If you're dead serious (afterwards, you'll just be dead) about this, here's an itinerary that will cover most of western Europe:<BR>Land in London 8am Spend day. Take the overnight ferry to Oostend then train to<BR>Brussels Spend 1/2 day, train to Amsterdam 1/2 day overnight train to<BR>Munich Spend day overnight train to<BR>Rome Spend day overnight train to<BR>Paris Spend day overnight train to<BR>Barcelona Spend day <BR><BR>Seven countries, 6 days. You'll go through Austria or Switzerland at some point, which makes 8 countries, but you'll be asleep. <BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 02:59 PM
bob

Thanks to all, especially Whiskers.<BR><BR>Geez. <BR><BR>You're only young once, you know.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:01 PM
julie

This reminds me of the couple we met on the trolley in Vienna. We were taking the trolley that goes around the Vienna ring as an introduction to the city. We met a couple who had just come into the city from a train from Germany. They had the afternoon in Vienna and were planning to take the overnight train to Venice that night. They looked horrible, were terribly frazzled, and didn't get a chance to experience any city at its best. Don't do it. Assume that this is not a once in a lifetime trip and that you will return; narrow your focus. Plus, Europe is much more than large cities.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 07:02 PM
M. Giggle

Elvira, a good one! LOL ("afterwards, you'll just be dead.")<BR><BR>Bob, I am very glad (and not surprised) to hear that you are young. Young and healthy is the only way you'll get through this spree. <BR><BR>I'll be interested to see your report when you get back, after you have stopped vibrating. <BR><BR>I predict your next trip will consist of a long time in one place!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Keith Legg

I have only ever used an overnight train on continental Europe once - and never again! It was a six-person compartment with plastic covered beds (you know, the fake leather-looking stuff) which made you alternate between sticking and sliding. You will be shattered by the end of it and probably feel like you need another holiday just to recover!<BR><BR>That said, if this is what you really want to do then go for it. It's your trip, after all.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Paige

When I was in college I went to Europe for 6 weeks (I know, not 6 days) and regularly slept in the normal seats on the train, not even couchettes like the last poster mentioned. At the time, it was great and I loved it. Now, there's no way I'd do that and prefer private sleeper cars. <BR><BR>I would guess that Bob's a trooper, otherwise he wouldn't have come up with this plan. In which case, he'll probably have a great time.<BR><BR>Bob, what type of overnight car are you thinking of taking?

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Laura

Why?<BR><BR>

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 07:32 PM
bob

Ok, ok, ok. I think you've talked me out of it. <BR><BR>Instead, how about one city, 8 different country's restaurants, in 6 days?<BR><BR>I think I'll spend a week in San Francisco instead.