8-9 days family vacation through Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2023, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, we’re planning a family vacation for 17 days through Italy and Greece and while we’ve (more or less) decided on the Greek part, we’re still deciding the Italian portion. My wife and I visited Rome, Florence and Venice on our honeymoon 17 years ago (loved Venice), and are returning with our kids, 16 (f) and 14 (m). We were thinking maybe we’d fly into Rome, spend a couple days there and then go South since we missed the amalfi coast previously. But we also feel like the kids would love Venice. For some context, not the most outdoorsy of families, but love food (14 year old has become quite the foodie!), taking in new experiences/cultures, architecture, watching sunsets, beaches, shopping, excursions. So torn as to where to go. All thoughts welcome!
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 09:39 PM

When? You're not going to enjoy Amalfi off season when things are mostly closed. You might not like it during high season when the place is packed. If you're thinking about the beaches go look at what sort of beaches they are. It may not be your idea of beach or OTOH it might be exactly what you want.

Eight days including arrival and departure isn't a huge amount of time. If you've decided on Rome and think you want Venice I'd add at most one more short stop in between. Bologna would fit
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 10:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. Yes -- When is the most important bit. Month makes a HUGE difference.
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 09:30 AM

I’m figuring you are probably going when kids are out of school, so maybe next summer? South will be hot and I personally prefer Puglia region to amalfi coast. There will be slightly (or a lot) less tourists and I loved the countryside and coastal areas in Puglia. I also think that Venice is a great and unique place to bring your kids. It will be crowded but worth the trip. You might also look into the Ligurian coast which I find mush less touristed and enjoyable. We have stayed in Camolgi 3 or 4 times and liked it’s more laid back style than the amalfi coast. Your foodie 14 year old will enjoy all these regions and the great food that comes out of them. Watch Stanley Tucci’s Searching for Italy for a very tasty overview of Italy.
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 10:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For food I'd look at the Po valley, both peasant food but also meat based.

Venice, Ravena, Bologna would make a nice short holiday

August will be hot, all of Europe comes to Italy for a holiday. May would be much better
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 11:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless the trip is in winter, early spring or late autumn, it can be hot almost anywhere you go.

Just my personal opinions: I wouldn't go to the Amalfi Coast in high season. It's pretty hard to take now even in the shoulder seasons. If high season, and depending on your budget, you might even be late in getting the sort of accommodations you want where you want. (Quad room? Apartment?) I'd go to Venice for the contrast in experience to "Greece" and Rome, the total uniqueness of the place and the straightforward transportation from Rome. But, of course, it will be crowded too. I wouldn't add a third destination in Italy but instead possibly make one day trip from both Rome and Venice.

If you do decide on the AC and/or another place in southern Italy, you probably could fly into Naples or Bari and then end your trip in Rome. If you pick Venice, likewise you could fly to Venice and end your trip in Rome. For many travelers from the U.S. (if that's where you are), flying home from Venice can mean a painfully early departure and/or connections to reach your home airport.
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdc90291
Hi all, we’re planning a family vacation for 17 days through Italy and Greece and while we’ve (more or less) decided on the Greek part, we’re still deciding the Italian portion. My wife and I visited Rome, Florence and Venice on our honeymoon 17 years ago (loved Venice), and are returning with our kids, 16 (f) and 14 (m). We were thinking maybe we’d fly into Rome, spend a couple days there and then go South since we missed the amalfi coast previously. But we also feel like the kids would love Venice. For some context, not the most outdoorsy of families, but love food (14 year old has become quite the foodie!), taking in new experiences/cultures, architecture, watching sunsets, beaches, shopping, excursions. So torn as to where to go. All thoughts welcome!
. Addition: sorry All, going in late May
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your 8-9 days in Italy start to shrink when you consider that changing a location uses most of a day if you consider packing and leaving, getting to transport with a margin of safety not to miss the plane/train/donkey cart, transfer time, getting to next hotel/etc and eating. So with 9 days you lose one getting to Italy, one more leaving for home, and one more getting from Rome to Venice (skip the Amalfi area if you are wise). So you will have 6 touring days. Venice will take 2 days minimum, Rome requires infinite days to see everything, but 4 will do. Of course, since your Italy time must include at least one weekend, you will have to consider Sunday closings unless you can change locations on Sundays.