Search

Norway or Germany

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2023, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norway or Germany

Hello,

I'm trying to decide between a 2-week trip to Germany or Norway from the middle to the end of October. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 02:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the two countries are very different.

Norway is very wealthy and the population density is very low, you could easily avoid meeting a person in Norway in a two week holiday, this means that you will probably just get to see the few population centres which are very clean with long distances apart. Norway has no history of colonialism (except see Vikings and their work in Iceland/UK/Ireland/Sweden) so the museums tend to be small and will a high focus on Norweigen life

Germany is only wealthy with a much higher population density and a history of colonialism, expansion/contraction/warfare. So, much larger and more cities with big museums and, away from the WW2 bomb paths, some very old cities which have been well restored.

October is a good time to come to Germany, the wines are still fermenting the onion tart is in the kitchen and public transport is pretty good.

But really, to offer good advice, we need to know about you. Fit, active, vegetarian might want different things from indoor loving, meat eating opera lover.

Last edited by bilboburgler; Dec 16th, 2023 at 02:59 AM.
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 07:06 AM

Norway has fewer indoor possibilities and being farther north, may have a greater likelihood of inclement weather. For that season I would choose Germany.
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 02:40 PM

I would also pick Germany at that time of year. The leaves are turning and you get harvest festivals and the new wine. It is the last month before you get wintery weather. I have only been to Norway in the peak of winter but I can appreciate that even in October Germany will have the better weather.

Lavandula
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 04:38 PM
mjs

Very different countries but since this is October, Germany would be my choice.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 06:02 AM

What kind of trip? What do you like to do, or plan to do? Without any information it's close to impossible to give any usable recommendation.

One comment about the weather, though: Norway is a long country, and the distance from north to south is 1,100 miles (1,750 km). The weather varies, just like in Germany.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
the two countries are very different.

Norway is very wealthy and the population density is very low, you could easily avoid meeting a person in Norway in a two week holiday, this means that you will probably just get to see the few population centres which are very clean with long distances apart. Norway has no history of colonialism (except see Vikings and their work in Iceland/UK/Ireland/Sweden) so the museums tend to be small and will a high focus on Norweigen life

Germany is only wealthy with a much higher population density and a history of colonialism, expansion/contraction/warfare. So, much larger and more cities with big museums and, away from the WW2 bomb paths, some very old cities which have been well restored.

October is a good time to come to Germany, the wines are still fermenting the onion tart is in the kitchen and public transport is pretty good.

But really, to offer good advice, we need to know about you. Fit, active, vegetarian might want different things from indoor loving, meat eating opera lover.
Norway colonizes the Saami up north to this day. Again there is a legal battle around the extension of mining in North Norway, destroying the Saami way of life.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 08:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by menachem
Norway colonizes the Saami up north to this day. Again there is a legal battle around the extension of mining in North Norway, destroying the Saami way of life.
good point, but they are allowed to vote, stand for election etc and any museum will be small and in the middle of nowhere
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 09:58 AM

Visit Norway (I can't post the link) has a nice overview of museums on their website. The National Museum and the Munch museums in Oslo may be the biggest, along with the Viking ship museum and "Folkemuseet" (the Norwegian Museum of Cultural History). There are lots more in Oslo, and of course also in the rest of the country.