7 days Reading and about

Search

7 days Reading and about

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 days Reading and about

We are going to Reading mid-October to visit our daughter who just moved there. I have read every post about the UK and have decided there will be more trips as we can’t possibly see everything in this short trip. Also, the weather to see some places seems to be questionable. Thanks for all of your suggestions, from which I have gleaned our possible itinerary. Please add to or delete. Interests, in order of importance: Music in cathedrals, great food, meeting people, anything with water, places that look like New England in the fall, lush scenery and history but not too many museums, hobbit-like houses. Not hectic, see-it-all but immersed in the surroundings and taking our time.

Wednesday – arrive Heathrow and take the train to Reading. Spend the day checking out Reading and stay two nights.
Thursday – explore more in the area, maybe a river/canal ride and/or trip to see Wimbledon since my husband is a tennis fan. We have been to Windsor castle. Our daughter will be working these two days so we will stay nearby and meet up for dinner in Reading.
Friday - So many readers love York and Bath. Can we see them both in three days, unrushed? Or should we stick to one area? Day trip from Reading or go from one to the other? Train or rent a car? I figure a trip to Stonehenge (special tour), Salisbury and Bath. Stay overnight in Bath.
Saturday - head to York (via Oxford?) for the day and night (evensong) Sunday - Back to Reading. Monday - Whatever is left, Hampton Court or maybe into London for the day.
I am a newbie - formerly relied on trip advisor but these comments have been more suited to our travel! Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:59 AM

York from Oxford could take longer than going into London to Kings Cross and taking the fast train to York in 2 hours

www.nationalrail.co.uk for schedules and Byzantine fare structure
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:11 AM

1. There's really isn't a train from LHR to Reading. Well, you can do the trip by train, changing all over the place,but the bus is the only way that makes sense
2. Is she really living in Reading? Or just has a Reading postal address? Because I realy wouldn't spend more than 10 minutes checking Reading out . But there's loads of nice countyside nearby, and Oxford's only 20 mins by train.
3. Reading-Salisbury-Stonehenge-Bath-York is doable by public transport (train except for getting to and from Stonehenge) But it's a fag. Hiring a car means you can easily see Avebury while at Stonehenge, and that's LOTS more fun.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:16 AM

For music in a cathedral, your closest is Wincehster Cathedral, which is about half an hour/40 minutes on the train from Reading. he catedral website lists upcoming recitals and concerts: http://www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk/new/events/4/

For Salisbury you'll need to change trains somewhere, and it's further overall. The cathedral website doesn't have details yet for October, but check it out closer to the time: http://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk...s.upcoming.php

Oxford's actually even closer than Winchester, now I think about it: http://www.concertartist.info/articles/chch.html

Reading itself isn't the greatest tourist destination, but there are definitely places to visit in the area (the Vyne near Basingstoke, Basildon Park, Mapledurham, etc), especially if you have a car, although by October some may have more restricted hours. If your daughter's there already, get her to pop into the tourist information office and pick up some leaflets for you.

It would be worth seeing if there's anything musical on at St Mary's, but I think you may be visiting in between choral evensongs: http://www.reading-minster-mid-week-choir.co.uk/

Bath is very easy by train - about two hours direct. York is a much longer journey - definitely not a daytrip, and I don't think you can realistically manage both in the time you have, although MMV on this.

One final point: at weekend, especially Sundays, the train service tends to get badly disrupted.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

That was quick! She is really living in Reading. This trip is to visit daughters abroad - one in Reading and one in Morocco. Just thought we'd get in some sightseeing as well as family time but need to stay close enough to see our daughter when she is working.
I thought I gathered all my info from comments i.e train from Heathrow to Reading. I imagine our daughter will give us this direction.
The music info is helpful and I will check that out. We usually like to travel on our own but sometimes guides give a great perspective.Our other daughter is a tourguide in Morocco! Did look at Mad Max for a tour out of Bath to see Stonehenge and Avebury and a village or two - looked good from comments and not too expensive.But I still need to gather info on the "special tour" to get in when crowds cannot.
If we made a day trip from Reading to Bath and then two days to York would that work? We can skip Salisbury. And due to traffic issues should we do York on Friday and Saturday and Bath on Sunday or vice versa? From all you experts and now that I have narrowed down my search to these two areas what would you do for three days - York and areas or Bath and areas?
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:53 PM

Direct trains from Reading to Bath take about one hour, not two. It's definitely doable as a day trip.

Near Bath is Bradford on Avon, easily reached by train from Bath.

Other places to while away some time include Henley on Thames (take the local train from Reading to Paddington one stop, Twyford, and change there), Marlow (reachable by bus from Reading or by train, changing in Maidenhead). Marlow has a very good gastropub right by the station (the Marlow Donkey) or a few good restaurants in town, including the Marlow Bar & Grill on High Street and the Hand & Flowers, which has a Michelin star.

In Reading itself, near the Oracle shopping center, our favorite restaurant is Prezzo. It's Italian, but they have the best rotisserie chicken to be found in that neck of the woods.

If you want upscale Indian, then come down to Maidenhead (15 mins. by train, then a 5-10 min. walk from the station)to the new restaurant Imlee (www.imlee.net). They're starting to offer live music on week-end nights--not just Indian music, but also jazz.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Nonconformist - I checked out cathedral music at the sites you gave and it looks like Oxford is best next to York. Thanks.
I think we decided on a trip to York and the Lake District for the three days. So I will focus on that and probably post a question or two if I can't find all I want already posted.