Tuileries Garden or Luxembourg in Paris

Aug 24th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Tuileries Garden or Luxembourg in Paris

If you have a choice to pick one of them, which garden would you prefer?

Thank you,
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:27 AM

hi, arickson,

neither of these are Gardens in the true [ie english] sense, IMO. the nearest to a proper garden in paris is the bagatelle in the bois de boulogne.

if I had to pick between the two you mention, then the luxembourg is closer to the concept of a garden as i recognise it.

regards, ann
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Why would you choose a garden in the 'English' sense when you are in France? but I think I know what you mean. You're probably thinking about the beds of flowers vs. a more 'park-like' environment.

I love Jardin de Luxembourg because it seems to have such a variety - flowers, 'forests', fountains, open areas, woody areas, quiet corners, the boules court, etc. Tuileries is laid out in a more open way, whereas Lux. has more private pockets.
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:14 AM

I'd say Lux, because they are larger and because they are away from the hordes of people and traffic in that area of the 1st. For a quiet place to have lunch, read a book, Lux would be my choice. Someday I'll check out the puppet show at the Lux.
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:15 AM
ira

Hi A,

For what purpose do you wish to go to either?

From whence will you start?

Aug 24th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you y'all. I plan to do it on my first day in Paris just to relax and enjoy a beauty of a garden/park. I am coming from Gare Montparnasse.
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:56 AM

If you don't mind a little travel, I would recommend the Parc Monceau as a beautiful place to sit and watch the (somewhat privileged) world go by.
Aug 24th, 2007, 10:52 AM

I wondered what the goal was, also. I definitely prefer to "hang out" in Luxembourg, and it's not far from gare Montparnasse, anyway, so def. go there. I really do like the Bagatelle and some other parks (Monceau and MOntsouris are nice, and Batignolles). I don't really like the Tuileries at all except in a postcard, maybe.
Aug 24th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Many French "gardens" - esp those like the Tuilleries - are lot what Americans or British would call a garden - that is large green lawns, beautiful flowerbeds, groups of shrubs, wooded areas, etc.

Many French "gardens" consist of large areas of raked gravel with some trees, a lot of benches and a relatively few shrubs and a few very formal flower beds.
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:43 PM

For the purposes you describe, Id definitely go to the Jardin de Luxembourg. It's so lovely.
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Another choice could be the Parc de Bagatelle in the Bois. Th rose garden is subline and there's a lovely café.
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Many French "gardens" consist of large areas of raked gravel with some trees, a lot of benches and a relatively few shrubs and a few very formal flower beds.

My experience is that the formal flower beds are pretty much a thing of the past. The variety of flowers in the flower beds had very much improved.

See pictures 15 and 51 in the following:
http://tinyurl.com/34evao
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:44 PM

I am reminded of a visit to a garden in the dordogne - very heavy on the hedges and gravel, light on the trees and flowers.

the guide was happy to tell the assembled company, both French and english, that this was a "sensible" french garden - she didn't tell us what she thought of english ones, but the meaning was clear enough.

we now refer "en famille" to stupid english gardens, and prefer them too.

regards, ann
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Actually, I think the difference may be in what one calls gardens versus a park. I do think of the Tuileries and formal places like that as gardens, but for just relaxing and hanging out, parks are better. Montsouris is a park (as is Monceau). Batignolles which I like, and is like a park, seems just to be called Square des Batignolles on my map (but it't a large park, not a small street square with a tiny lawn and some flowers).

So if the idea is just to relax, I'd go to a park, but you can do it in some gardens, of course -- it's just not as relaxing (espec the Tuileries which doesn't have much shade, and the shade is really not the gardens, but some gravel under the trees).
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:17 PM

They aren't that far apart, why not see both?
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:54 PM

I'd go to the Square du Vert Galant, for the river view.

Search this Thread