7 days in Turkey planning

Jan 19th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

7 days in Turkey planning

We will be in Turkey from Feb 26 to March 5 and looking for ideas and timing. 3 adults. Wonder about the amount of time in Istanbul and how much time for other sites. Also the best way to get to those sites.
Jan 19th, 2010, 04:39 AM

We have had some of the worst weather in Istanbul history during that period. So you can have snow, cold drizzle, thunderstorms, but even warmish Spring days.

You say adults, meaning 18/21 to 99 years old?

Your interests are also cloaked in mystery, "sites:, meaning what, geological formations, botanical, bird life, neolithic, hittite, assyrian, lydian, frygian, karian, lycian, roman, byzantine, seljuki, ottoman, natural, man made, waterfalls, canyons, rafting, boating, architectural, religious (jewish, moslem, sufi, zoroastrian, catholic, orthodox, Suriany christian), shoping, antiques, carpets, food, arts, belly dancing, music, books, islands.......
Jan 19th, 2010, 04:50 PM

Are you actually in Turkey from the 26th to the 5th or does that include your travel days?

If you really want to see Istanbul, you'll need a minimum of four days in my opinion. If you have all those days in Turkey, I'd divide my time between Istanbul and Cappadocia. If you have fewer days, substitute Ephesus for Cappadocia. It really also depends on what you're interested in, as otherchelebi said.

Ellen
Jan 22nd, 2010, 05:28 AM

Please come back after your trip and post how the weather was!!! We are planning to be in Istanbul from the 13th to the 20th.
Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

We arrive on the morning of the 26th from the middle east so the jet lag is not a problem. We depart IST on the 5th in the evening. I am looking for suggestions on things to see or do, we are 3 adults of age 55 to 65.
Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:25 AM

Not a lot of time. Istanbul is fascinating. Two other popular locations are Cappadocia and Ephesus. You could fly to either one. Ephesus could be a ~1 day visit, Cappa would be a couple.
We stayed in Goreme for Cappadocia, did the main ruins at Ephesus on our way back to Istanbul (driving).
Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:52 AM

dear ignutah, please check some of the many weather web sites starting from about ten days before you come to turkey. you will get 14 day forecasts plus monthly and even daily averages in terms of temperatures and pecipitation for any major cities you will be visiting.

dear Bobesi, there are at least thirty major and famous interesting sites besides Istanbul. My wife, 50, would like a luxury AI hotel in Bodrum or a luxury ski resort at Uludag, bursa where she can mix with the rich and the famous. I.65, would like to hike slowly in the macahel region, near Georgia in brisk cold weather, visiting waterfalls, and eating wild honey. a good friend would want to go to a golf resort in belek, antalya. Another friend would like to visit the antique sites of Aizanoi, Euromos and Herakleia. Someone would love to spend the time visiting the major restaurants at the different regions of turkey, to taste the incredubly varied food.

So, what is your wish?

if it is 'to do what most people do when they come to Turkey', then you should probably take a tour, and join the crowds.
Jan 26th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Dear otherchelebi,

I would love to visit a golf resort, my wife and friend have ruled this out. We like local food, local shops and things to remember the trip. The hotel does not have to be 5 star, just clean, reasonable for the area and hopefully convenient to the things we want to do and see. I would hope that the people that have been or know the area would have suggestions that are not so tour oriented that all we see are other tourist.
We do not want to spend our days lounging around a lux resort, more interested in a see and do type visit. Some walking is OK but to join you on a long hike might be a challenge because of walking problems with one on my traveling companions.

Now, based on that, do you have any real suggestions that you think are worth seeing.
Jan 27th, 2010, 12:14 AM

Bobesi, OK, you do not want to share what your interests are. You just want "clean hotel, local food, local shops and not a touristy area." So here are some very general recommendations for a first time visitor to Istanbul, and Turkey, late Feb. early March:

- The time is not suitable for visits to resorts and historic sites in the country, because it would be cold or cool, possibly rainy and would require walking.

- It makes good sense for you to spend the time in Istanbul, with easy day trips to environs.

- since you do not like being with large groups of tourists all the time, you should not stay at a hotel at the historic peninsula, i.e. Sultanahmet, Sirkeci, Beyazit.

- If you stay at Taksim area, it will be crowded with locals but you will enjoy a very lively day and night time atmosphere. Lots of cafes, restaurants, shops, pedestrian only streets, bars, clubs.

- Cihangir area, just off Taksim, is more bohemian and intellectual. smaller area with again many cafes, restaurants and antique dealers.

- Nisantasi, Tesvikiye area. Upscale, more expensive cafes, restaurants, bars, shopping. Good for people watching.

- Day trips: Ferry boat to Prince's Islands (Buyukada, Heybeli or Burgaz) for horse carriage ride and fish lunch.

- Bosphorus cruise

- Possibly a day or overnight to Iznik (Nicea) if weather is good.

You cannot do a less than three day trip to very cold Cappadocia, which requires a great deal of walking.

Selcuk, Ephesus also requires quite a bit of walking but can be done as a long day trip, flying to Izmir on early morning flight and comming back with a late flight.