7 Days in Prague

Jul 5th, 2001, 02:08 AM
Suwannee

7 Days in Prague

Hi. Can anyone please advise if 7 days in Prague, Aug 8 - 15 is too long? Would appreciate if somebody could suggest a budget program and hotel for me(how about Cloister Inn?) Thank you so much. Suwannee

Jul 5th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Art

Hi Suwanee, you can easily do 7 days in Prague with a couple of day trips. You could do 2 days in Czeshy Krumlov, a day in Karlow Vary. There is a chapel fully decorated with human bones (that I didn't get to see while there) that rose out of the ground supposidly people that died from the black plague in the 13th centry. There is a vidio, probably in your Lobrary about the Czech Republic that has a lot of good ideas. It is a charming city. There is a great museum of Technology and Industry that you could easily spend 1/2 day in. I didn't find the national museum to great but the area around it is worth wandering around. The old city square is worth just wandering around. Sit at one of the outdoor cafe's and people watch. There are numerious music presentations in the evenings.
Hope this helps you.
Regards,
Art

Jul 5th, 2001, 10:27 AM
amg

Suwannee,

I would highly recommend the Cloister Inn. I stayed there in May. We had a triple room. Which was clean and roomy and it had a modern bathroom. The location is good. It is about a 15 minute walk across the bridge and up a hill to the castle and it is 10 minutes in the other direction to the other tourist area. They also provide a large varied breakfast.
We only spent 2 1/2 days in Prague. I think seven would be long unless you are going to do a few day trips out of the city. We went to Cesky Krumlov
for 1 full day two nights by car. It is a pretty town. I think you should be able to do a day long bus trip. There are also several closer sites you may be able to do by car or train. I am listing some web sites that we used for ideas of places to visit - they are for tours - we did not take any. But it may be useful if you do not want to drive.
http://pha.comp.cz./pwalks/
http://www.rainbowtravel.cz/
I loved Prague, I hope you do to.
Have fun!
Aileen

Jul 5th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Lina

Try to visit the Prague castle and the gardens, also Lorreta - it was a convent and has amaising wall paintings. The Jewish section of the city is very interesting.
Enjoy your trip.

Jul 6th, 2001, 05:14 PM
Mese

I was in Prague in May and LOVED it!! Definitely see the castle and walk the Charles Bridge to Old Town. Best shopping is in old town. The Czech Republic is known for it's Bohemian hand cut crystal and garnets. If you are interested in them, there are (2) reputable stores in Old Town.....Rott and the other is Esgret (spelling?)...you can't miss them, they are right near the Astronomical Clock. Their products are genuine and CHEAP!! I bought (5) garnet pendants ranging from $13 to $22...and a ring for my daughter for $52....beautiful jewelry...wish I had bought more! The Three Ostriches hotel is supposed to be really nice and it is right at the Charles Bridge....would be easy to walk just about anywhere from there. I didn't stay there but several people have raved about it on the message boards. Have a GREAT trip!!

Jul 12th, 2001, 12:21 AM
Suwannee

Thank you everyone for your help. My flight itinerary is 5 nights in Athens (perhaps 2 nights in Island?) then 6 nights in Prague. While in Prague, should I take a train to Vienna and stay a couple of nights there? Is train the best way to travel? Should I book now and pay extra to my agent or is it quite ok to buy at the station when I am there in Sept? Your advice on the most budget itinerary for an unexperience traveller like me would be very much appreciated. Thanks. Suwannee

Jul 12th, 2001, 03:03 AM
s.fowler

Thanks for the urls amg. They are very useful. The Rainbow Travel one has a page of links to many hotels with websites -- I've saved this one for the next trip to Prague!

Jul 17th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Tony

AMG,
How was driving? I was thinking of taking 3 or 4 days to drive to maybe Cesky Krumlov and Kutna Hora or other towns. Any advice on cost, where to rent, where to go, and how much time it takes to get around. Thanks. Planning on going in March.
Tony

Jul 17th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Linda

I think the chapel with bones (unless more than one) is in Kutna Hora. Buy the tickets there as cheaper if you travel anywhere. Check nethotels.com for good hotels/pensions in Prague & Vienna.