Favorite Tour in Bath, Edinburgh, York

Jul 14th, 2001, 11:05 AM
christy

Favorite Tour in Bath, Edinburgh, York

We will be in London,Stratford-Upon-Avon, York, Bath, Edinburgh, Glasgow on a trip in July. We are especially interested in history, Shakeaspear and celtic music.

Do you have a favorite tour company for these cities? I've read the Good Friday Tours give good overviews but I'd also like a tour with some emphasis on history.

Thanks,
Christy

Jul 14th, 2001, 11:36 AM
janis

Christy - it's Guide Friday. They have good general hop-on-hop-off tours in Bath, Stratford, York and Edinburgh (and many other UK towns).

There are many other tours - both walking and by coach - everyplace you will be. The tourist information office should be your first stop. They have tours for any interest. There are great "ghost" tours and pub crawls in Edinburgh, most everything in Stratford is geared around Shakespeare, and in York there are nighttime and day tours.

So let the TI staff make recommendations - most tours are only given on certain days of the week.

Jul 14th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Gwen

If you like walking tours, in London consider The Original London Walks (web site at www.walks.com). Lots of very good walking tours to choose from, a number of which have an emphasis on history. I have been on several of their walks and have enjoyed them all, but my absolute favourite was "Christopher Wren's London" - I think sometimes they also call this one "Samuel Pepys' London") - lots of very interesting historical information about London in the mid to late 1600's, including the Plague of 1665, the Great Fire of 1666, and the churches Wren was commissioned to build following the fire. As well, the tour guide, Molly, read relevant bits from Pepys' diary along the way. You say you are interested in Shakespeare, according to my brochure (from last year) they also have one called "Shakespeare's London", though I haven't been on it.

Also for London - not a tour but in my opinion the most fascinating overview of London's history from pre-Roman times right up to the present - is the Museum of London. I love this museum and have been back several times.

For an emphasis on history York, there is a free 2 hour city walking tour that we really enjoyed - last March it was offered at 10:15 am from Exhibition Square (across from TI). It is guided by local residents who are interested in history, and includes details about the history of York, info about the Roman & subsequent medieval walls, and included a walk along the part of the wall behind the Minster. I think during summer months they also offer this tour in the afternoon & maybe even evening.

In Bath the Guide Friday tour was pretty good, but I don't recall it having an emphasis on history. I actually wished we had taken the free walking tour from in front of the Pump Room instead, as my sister has been on it said it was excellent with lots of historical information. Check with TI in Bath for times, my 2 yr old guide book says they are daily at 10:30, and sometimes 2 pm & 7 pm during high season.

Have fun!

Jul 14th, 2001, 12:48 PM
lois

I have made rewservations with astral Travels>co.uk and booked the tour called stones and bones leaves at 8am and returns at 6pm. It includes Salsibury avebury and stone Henge Plus a lunch sounds like a good deal to me as it is hard to see all this without a car Let me know if you need any other info

Jul 14th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Linda

York also has fantastic ghost tours. Highly recommend them. (I've been on three--all were great--with many different stories.)

Jul 17th, 2001, 04:53 PM
Ed

If you are in Edinburgh on a Monday night, go in to the Fiddlers Arms - usually a couple of fiddlers playing and a good 'craic'. Or pick up a copy of 'the list' and see whats on.