7 days in Montepulciano

Search

7 days in Montepulciano

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 days in Montepulciano

Thinking of 7 days in Montepulciano. Using Montepulciano as a base traveling to a few of the hilltop towns in the area. Suggestions would be much appreciated.on our stay. Spent time in Florence this year so interested in expericening Montepulciano and the area more thoroughly. Please make suggestions, we are interested in renting a 2 bedroom apt. within the walled city. Any suggestions on the apartment would also be appreciated. The trip would include my wife and I with kids coming and going.
Old Oct 8th, 2016, 03:51 PM

You dont say how old the kids are, but since they will be coming and going, it sounds like they are at least college age.

A week based in Montepulciano should be heavenly. Staying in the larger hilltown gives you the option of walking to dinner as much as you like and offering a nice variety of restaurants,

You will have time to visit about as many towns as you like. The general rule is no more than two per day. Takes in to account the long mid day closing and time for delicious lunches!

Definitely visit Pienza, Montalcino, maybe even a day trip to Siena. How about a cooking class? A visit to a olive oil / cheese farm? Wine tasting can be done in town at the enoteca, but if you want a tour and tasting these should be arranged in advance. I enjoyed Monte Olivetto for the scenic drive there and the famous frescos. Loved a visit to Sant' Antimo for the Gregorian chants and the simple beauty of the ancient abbey. Its been reported here that the four or five monks have now left, but its still a very beautiful and historical place. Some of the wineries have excellent restaurants, Castello di Brolio, La Badia di Coltibuono, and one of the major producers outside of Montalcino that I can't think of the name of at the moment. Reservations at these would be required.

Like gardens? Arrange a visit to La Foce, but find out their open days, as I understand they are open just a couple days a week. Something Im looking forward to doing on my next visit.

You will not run out of thigns to do! Buon viaggio
Old Oct 8th, 2016, 03:58 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...y-171368-2.cfm

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 8th, 2016, 03:59 PM

The Politan A
partments in Montepulciano are absolutely beautiful. We loved our stay there.
Old Oct 8th, 2016, 04:04 PM

I second www.Politian.com
Best value in Tuscany
Old Oct 8th, 2016, 04:34 PM

And I want to third the Politian apts. Lovely apts and great owners! I love Montepulciano, have been there twice to attend Il Sasso, the Italian language school. Eventhough I didnt have a car I did go to Cortona, also visited La Foce. Planning to go back next year, hopefully with a car so I'll be able to tour around more. Its really a little piece of heaven on Earth!

Bob the navigator, so nice to "see" you again, hope you're doing well! Recently I had the pleasure of meeting your son and daughter in law.
Old Oct 8th, 2016, 05:19 PM

Hi Bob! So good to see when you post. I hope you are doing well!
Old Oct 8th, 2016, 07:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have no idea what your interests are, but we very much enjoyed visiting Abbazia di Monte Oliveto Maggiore near Asciano, about an hour from Montepulciano. Note the open/closed hours.

http://www.monteolivetomaggiore.it/l...ing-hours.html

https://www.discovertuscany.com/what...-maggiore.html

There are towns known for handmade lace near Lago Trasimeno. Isola Maggiore, Tuoro, Panicale, Corciano.
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 01:34 AM

Hi Bob!!

In answer to Kirk's question, I can highly recommend the Sant'Antonio Country Resort, where we stayed a few years ago. It's not within the city walls, and you will need a car to get around, but the place is fantastic, and is located very close to the entrance to Montepulciano.
Here is the link:
http://www.santantonio.it/

It is a special place in the most beautiful part of Tuscany, and perfect for a week for a family.
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 02:23 AM

We also have stayed at San Antonio and loved it!