Reload this Page >

7 day itinerary feedback, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 12:29 PM
Paco

We already have flights booked into and out-of Dublin; arrive on a Friday, leave the following Friday in early March. <BR><BR>Roughly considering Fri-Sat-Sun in Dublin; Monday in Kilkenny; Tues-Wed in Galway-area; Thursday back to Dublin. We are &quot;city people,&quot; who have 6 in our group, and so will not rent a van, but rather will use bus and trains. <BR><BR>Initial reactions to this tentative itinerary, please? Thanks!

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 12:49 PM
Karen

Paco: We flew into Dublin, picked up a car and drove to Galway. We stopped en route at Clonmonoich(?) an old monastery which was beautiful. It was an easy drive. I don't know the distance between Kilkenny and Dublin as we drove around the southern coast before heading back to Dublin. We then stayed in Dublin for several days before flying back which I greatly enjoyed because you can just rest and relax without worrying about getting there and making connections the next a.m. Kilkenny and Galway were great. I am sure you will have a wonderful trip!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 08:25 AM
Mary

Paco: While in Galway, I would highly recommend a trip to the Aran Islands. I have been to Ireland three times and the islands were a highlight to me.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 01:51 PM
David D.

Paco, Given your group is city-oriented, you'd be wise to spend the first three nights in dear old Dublin. Be sure to see the National Museum and Kilmainham Gaol (even if you're not passionate about Irish history, the latter is a fine take). In addition, you're likely to enjoy the Guinness Brewery tour, along with a night out at Temple Bar. The Chester Beatty Library is also a must-see, as it's one of Ireland's best museums.<BR><BR>Kilkenny City is about a 90-minute drive, via highway, from Dublin. But you'd be better served taking the byways rather than highways. The Wicklow-based Powerscourt and Glendalough would be very appealing side-trips en route to Kilkenny. Speaking of Kilkenny, do see the castle and the crafts shops across the street. The city also makes for enjoyable walking and has a first-rate bookshop a two-minute walk from the castle. If possible, spend some time in the Kilkenny countryside (Inistioge, Thomastown). The region is lovely.<BR><BR>You'll have a lengthy - about four-hour - drive from the southeast to Galway City. The city has a great buzz about it and that energy is infectious. En route try to drive through County Clare's the Burren which is striking. Also, get out to Connemara for at least a day, especially if the weather gods are smiling.<BR><BR>Finally, the ancient monastic site known as Clonmacnois is located in the midlands on the banks of the Shannon. It's a thought-provoking, fascinating place (the Pope conducted Mass there in the early 80s). It features a round towers, high crosses, and more. Plus, it's location makes it all the more enticing. Still, it may be too far out of your way given its inland location.<BR><BR>Best of luck.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:12 PM
David D.

Paco,<BR><BR>Upon further consideration, a trip to Clonmacnois wouldn't be out of you way, and would be well worth your time.<BR><BR>Another side-trip - one you shouldn't miss - is a visit to the Rock of Cashel, located in County Tipperary. It's one of Ireland's most visited historic sites, and deservedly so.<BR><BR>Finally, do know that the trip from Kilkenny to Galway is a long one. Stops along the way are advised, but be ready to get into Galway City quite late.