Kilkenny as a Home base?

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kilkenny as a Home base?

For 5 days in Ireland - we are planning on spending the first two nights in Dublin, then travelling on to Kilkenny for two more nights, then back to Dublin where we fly out.

Can we use Kilkenny for a home base to see much of SW Ireland? We were hoping to see Cork, Kinsale, Rock of Cashel, Mallow.... etc. Will Kilkenny be central enough to see all of these places on day-trips? Should we instead plan one night in Kilkenny & one night in Cork/Kinsale before we head back to Dublin?

Thank you for your advice!
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 10:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are going to spend 2 nights in Dublin, think about spending just the first and last nights there.

You can see Cashel in 3-4 hours. I would make it a stop either to or from Dublin, and spend 3 days in Kinsale. I would forget Cork altogether (another big industrial city), and if you must, shoot up on a day trip to kiss the Blarney Stone and stop to see Cobh.

Something like this:
Day 1 - Dublin
Day 2 - Kinsale. Drive to Kinsale (stop by Cashel)
Day 3 - Kinsale (Explore the city, fort, and area)
Day 4 - Kinsale (day trip to Blarney and the Mills, stopping by Cobh)
Day 5 - Drive to Dublin

Or any variation of the above/mix/match. You don't have a lot of time.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a similar itinerary last October.

I can't really address your main question about going to Cork and Kinsale because we didn't try to go that far on our short trip. Instead, we added Glendalough and the Wicklow mountains (sort of on the way to Kilkenny) and we went to Cahir castle which I highly recommend, and of course, Rock of Cashel, Kilkenny castle and Jerpoint abbey. The driving is quite slow there.

I loved Ireland so much that I am planning a trip to the west side this year.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you do end up using Kilkenny as a base, make sure your B&B provides parking. I also would get one at the edge of town. Parking is extremely limited in the town itself, and traffic is a nightmare. It's a great city to walk around, not drive.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We used Kilkenny for a 3 nite home base. Visited Waterford, Cashel and Kilkenny. There are excellent pubs and restaurants. We slso spent our first 2 nights in DUBLIN at the excellent Fitzwilliam hotel.