Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

6 week driving tour in Ireland including golf

Old Mar 20th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are traveling to Ireland for 6 weeks. We plan to circle Ireland staying in small inexpensive housing along the way. We'll fly in and out of Dublin, rent a car and possibly head counter clockwise since we'll be arriving the middle of August and the north will be warmer at that time. We'll be traveling in the southwest, south and southeast in Sept when it's cooler. What villages and sights are worth the stop. I need mostly the north and southeast since we've been the the touristy southwest on previous trips.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 08:53 AM

One possibility, since you are travelling in early September,is to consider playing in the West Coast Challenge, a 4-course Stableford tourney in Donegal. Google the website if you want more info. You can stay in Sligo or Bundoran and easily communte to the courses (Donegal (Murvagh), Strandhill, Bundoran & Enniscrone). The tourney is great fun, cheap (125 euros for the four rounds) and you'll meet wonderful people. I have played in it 5 times and am going back next year. Also consider going out of your way to the Rosapenna Hotel near Carrigart in northern Donegal and playing the two fabulous courses there. Ballyliffin is a nice village with two great links courses. The most Western course in Ireland (Carne) has the best 9 consecutives holes I've played (10-18). Hole #16 is the subject of an entire book (it's a good read about a guy who stays in Belmullet and tries to play two balls, 9 times on the hole and shoot 90. Sorry, I forget the name of the book). I am envious of your trip. Enjoy.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 09:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
" . . . possibly head counter clockwise since we'll be arriving the middle of August and the north will be warmer at that time. We'll be traveling in the southwest, south and southeast in Sept when it's cooler."

Not really a valid consideration. The difference in weather will be negligible. Could be cooler/wetter up north, or warmer/drier, or identical, or any combo. Instead of planning based on totally unknowable weather conditions - plan based on local festivals, or the golf tournament jeff mentions, or just about anything else.

Also - w/ 6 weeks I'd definitely check into weekly cottage rentals in 2 or 3 locations -- A few one-week bases interspersed w/ B&B touring in between.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 05:21 PM

I am troubled by what you mean when you say the "touristy southwest". Where exactly have you been. If its just Killarney, Kenmare, Blarney or Kinsale then you have been to the touristy southwest but is you haven't been out on the the Sheepshead, beara or Mizen peninsuals then you haven't see the southwest. Tell us wWhere have you been and I can recomend one or two nice golf courses along the coast that are not expensive and easy to get on. Have fun
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 06:08 PM

I noticed that a last minute golf booking service has started for Ireland, in the past I've used it for the US.

www.golfnow.com/ireland

As its new for Ireland and currently its winter, I cannot say if they offer good discounts for the time you are there, but it gives you the opportunity to book good courses last minute, with discounts, so it can help you decide when and where you play (weather forecasts, change of travel plans, etc)
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's comments. We are definitely putting the West Coast Challenge on our list and could possibly change dates of travel to accommodate the event. Other course planned are:

Tralee Waterville, The European, Rosses Point Royal Portrush (Dunluce) Royal County Down, Ballyliffin (glashedy)

Any comments on these courses and areas to stay?

Places we've been previously Dingle, Beara, Ring of Kerry, Kinsale, Dublin, Westport, Galway, Ballybaughn, Cliffs of Moher, Bantry Dublin. We are trying to do the north and northwest and also southeast. We were inspired by the book A Course Called Ireland and are attempting the do the same but with a car. We have one golfer and one not golfer so need a balance