6 nites in Provence…Help pls

Old Jun 24th, 2022, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 nites in Provence…Help pls

Fist time poster, haven’t been lazy have been scoping the Provence forum,starting to need more clarity and need guidance.We are travelling as a couple to attend Anzac day ceremony (our Veterans Day)on 25 April 2023 at Villers-Brettonoux after spending 3 days at Amiens we head of to the Alsace wine villages for 4 nites.Have pretty much sorted our itinerary and must do’s and must see’s for that leg of our journey.(Any secret villages or areas please feel free to add on)

We have 6 nites to see as much as we can of Provence,we need to drop off car before we get to Barcelona.We would probably drop off at Perpignan.Nothing is set in stone yet we may shave some time off Barcelona as we have been there before which might stretch to 7 or 8 nites.

We both are early rises and bounce from one place to another rather quickly,we like villages with a difference,great vistas and are also foodies who love wines.
Have read split your time in St Remy and Aix and do road trips.We know we can’t do everything in a short time but we want to experience old France.A French coastal village would also be nice.We also read Stu Dudley French Alps guide it could help as we were thinking of going to Annency after Colmar.Some of those French alp villages look stunning.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 08:59 PM

Goodness! You're jumping about like a frog in a blender!

I'm planning a week in Nimes in September - its a good jumping off place for a number of towns around there.

Villers-Brettoneux is particularly moving - take plenty of tissues!
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 09:18 PM

Attached is my Provence, Cote d'Azur itinerary.

Stu Dudley
Attached Files
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Hi Stu,
Below is a recent extract from a reply to Provence to Annencey…..is the scenery in the Alps not to be missed and then proceed to the Provence region?

Two years ago, we drove from Provence to Annecy, through the Alps. It was breathtaking. It took us 4 days to get to Annecy, however, with stopovers in Embrum, Briancon, and another place before Annecy. We went over many of the routes the Tour de France typically uses. After the Alps, Annecy was a disappointment. We had been there twice before. IMHO, if Annecy was not in the Alps, it would only be an OK town. I can easily think of about 20 similar sized towns I've enjoyed more. It's a little too touristy for me. We usually spend 2 months vacationing in various regions of France each year.

If this was my trip, I would not try to see both Annecy & Avallon - too much driving and too much time on the freeway. 5 or so hrs on the freeway to Annecy would not be worth it just to see Annecy. Same with Avallon (have not been there in over 20 years - we'll be there for 2 weeks next year).

I would spend all the time in the Alps. Perhaps make it as far as Briancon the first day, then Annecy the next. When you get to Annecy, dump the car, and the next morning at 8:13 take the train to Paris. You will get there by noon - no train changes. There is a later train if you want to get into Annecy late in the day & leave mid-day.

When we returned to Paris from the Caromb area, we took the train from Avignon to Chambery & stayed overnight. Then on to Paris the next day. Chambery is one of the towns I enjoyed more than Annecy.

Stu Dudley
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 06:43 AM

How old was that post??? Perhaps 15 years??

Alps are fantastic - but so is other regions in France. Alps require quite a bit of "car time" & changing locations if you visit it the way you seem to like to travel. Since that post, we've spent 1 week in a gite near Mt Blanc, 1 week near Briancon, 2 weeks near Annecy, 1 week in St Jean-St Nicolas, and 1 week in Embrun.

See the attached Alps itinerary.

Stu Dudley
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Alps.doc (69.0 KB, 13 views)
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 10:37 AM

We've stayed several times at a house just south of Nimes. Day trips were: the classic fortress town, very nice, if very touristy, Aigues-Mortes; the sycamore tree shaded beautiful town of Uzes which has a great market; Nimes itself is a nice strolling place with a new fine museum plus Roman sites; lovely little Sommieres (with the running of the bulls if you hit the right date!); a drive through the Camargue to Ste. Marie de la Mere; beach and pleasant beach town vibe at Grau du Rois; Pont du Gard of course - - you can also take a canoe trip downriver and under the Pont, where you alight and the company takes the canoes back upriver; and then, definitely, Arles on market day, or any day. Branching out: Les Baux; St. Remy; Avignon; Lourmarin/Rousillon/Gordes. Over the years more traffic restrictions and lower speed limits between the towns, but it's all just super pleasant.
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Ty Stu for your Alps doc,we are ever changing the itinerary and the cook wants to see some of the pretty villages of the Alps.Leaving Annency heading south to Chambery on to Sassenge then arriving in Aix,trip lasting 3 days.With your vast knowledge,are their any other villages on or near this route to experience,and which road is the most scenic.
Anyone else feel free to add your knowledge.
ty
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Would you go to Briancon to Embrun then onto A51 to Aix,which are your favourites.Fromm Annency to Aix via the Alps.If it’s a worthy trip, this might help others as well as there is no travel blogs for this route anywhere on the net.
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

Stu ty for the Alps doc,the asterisk beside some of the towns you have mentioned what is the relevance pls