6 nights in Sorrento -- too much?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're hoping to be able to Italy (3rd trip) next year, probably October. We've never been to Amalfi Coast. We have enough Hilton points to stay free at the Hilton Sorrento. What I was thinking was if we flew into Naples (or if it's a lot cheaper, Rome) then train or bus into Sorrento.

We'd do day trips (Pompeii, Capri, boat trips to other small towns, etc.) We'd also like to enjoy some afternoons relaxing.

After Sorrento, I'd love to head to Tuscany for a few days, but haven't even begun to figure out that part.

Do you think 6 nights in Sorrento is too many?
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 08:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
No, I stayed 5 nights last year at the Hilton there and could have used a couple more nights!

You'll love the Hilton... great hotel, wonderful staff, and beautiful views of Mt. Vesuvius. And, a free big bottle of Limoncello as your welcome gift!
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 08:06 AM

I do think 6 nights is too much in Sorrento, especially if the weather is not good (rainy/damp). I loved Sorrento when the sun was shining but didn't find much to keep me busy when it rained. I also prefer not to be near the water when it's damp or rainy as it seems so much colder.

You can relax just as well in Tuscany and if the weather is off you can visit museums in Florence or Siena. I would devote more time to Tuscany and less to Sorrento.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 08:17 AM

We spent 8 nights in Sorrento in July and it was great. Just right. We did do day trips most days - one each to Capri, Naples, Pompeii, Amalfi/Positano by bus, Amalfi/Ravello by boat/bus. That gave us two final days just in Sorrento so you could do what we did in 6, but we still had two more weeks of our trip and it was nice to have those two relatively quiet days. I loved Sorrento. Many people prefer to stay in Positano or Capri, etc but I was very happy we based in Sorrento and saw the others as day trips.

Here's my trip report with links to my photos http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rful-weeks.cfm
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 08:37 AM
cw

We stayed seven nights in a villa in Sorrento. We also took day trips--Pompeii, Capri, Naples, nearby small towns and a beach, and a trip down the coast to Paestum. We never made it to Herculaneum nor Ravello. So I feel as though we would have plenty to do when we return. So six nights means five or even four full days. Not too long at all.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 08:44 AM

We spent 3 nights in Positano and could have easily filled a week. 6 nights would be great.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input! Will be back to ask more questions later.