Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you find this transportation to be efficient for my Italy vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason, I thought traveling within Italy would be easier that our first trip to Europe. (we spanned three countries) I was wrong. There are a lot of logistics to figure out. Here are the places we are visiting:

ROME, AMALFI COAST (Positano), and TUSCANY

1) Fly into Rome and spend 5 nights in Rome

2) Train from Rome to Naples and hydrofoil (fast boat) from Naples to Positano. Cost: About 42 Euro and under 4 hours.

3) Positano to Sorrento via hydrofoil (only 25 minutes) and then rent a car from Sorrento to Tuscany (about a 4.75 hour drive) Cost: about 100 Euro.

4) Siena to Rome on a direct bus and then train to airport. Cost: Only 10 Euro! and about 3.75 hours...

It was really hard figuring all this out and spent almost my whole weekend researching the most efficient ways of travel without breaking the bank.

Thoughts? Do you think I am taking the most efficient routes while watching my dollars?
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 05:32 PM

Renting a car from Sorrento to Tuscany makes sense only if you are spending time there in the countryside. You don;t say how many days you have or where you will be staying.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 05:52 PM

You are trading off low cost and speed, so it is up to you if it is worth it. For example you can take the SITA bus from Positano to Sorrento for only a couple euro vs the 100 you mention above, but you only save a half hour or so. Or do you mean including the rental car it is 100 euro? Either way, you could easily train to some city in Tusany and rent a car once you get there. That approach will likely save you lots of money and not add that much time. Plus, it is more relaxing.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 05:57 PM

I'm unclear . . . do you plan to travel by bus from Siena to Rome on the same day you need to get to the airport? If yes, this would make me nervous.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

nytraveler - I haven't decided where we are staying in Tuscany. What do you suggest as far as my transportation from Positano to Tuscany? (this was the hardest part to plan so I am definitely open to suggestions)

The total trip is 16 or 17 nights. 5 nights in Rome, 6/7 in Amalfi Coast, and 4 nights in Tuscany.

Krgustn - Including the rental car it is 100 Euro. For a train from Naples to Siena was 5.5 hours plus 1.5 hours for a hydrofoil from Positano to Naples, so total travel time 7 hours. With a rental car, we should be there in 5 hours. Believe me, I would rather take a train. I am not a big fan of driving when I am on vacation. I wish there was an easier way to get from Positano to Siena. If you can think of anything else, I am open to hearing about it!
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Ellen - we haven't decided if we plan on traveling from Siena to Rome the same day of our flight or arrive in Rome the night before. The safest bet is to arrive the night before. I just hate the thought of cutting my vacation short.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Jill, that is a tough one. No matter how you cut it, Positano to Siena is a long day. What is your full itinerary, ie are you planning to stay in Siena the whole time in Tuscany?

If it were me, upon arrival I would either head immediately to Amalfi Coast then up to Tuscany (or vice-versa) then end the trip in Rome. Less moving around this way.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Krgystn - We are planning on staying in one place the whole time we are in Tuscany.

I know what you are saying about ending in Rome. It does tempt me because I know it will be easy to leave from there. However, I have a mental thing about wanting to end my vacation with the most relaxing, scenic place. I know it sounds emotional and a little absurd. However, I just love starting my vacations out with the busiest (most sightseeing) places because my enthusiam and energy is at its peak...
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:20 PM

Hello, Jill Davis, I am not sure if you have booked your airline tickets yet or not. If not, what do you think about flying into Naples, going on to Positano and than to Tuscany and than spend your last days/night in Rome where you will depart for home.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:21 PM

And of course I meant last days/nights in Rome.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:22 PM

Jill, it will not be a relaxing last 2 days if you have to get to Rome just to overnight.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:24 PM

btw, Loveitaly's idea is a good one about flying into one airport and out of another
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly - yes, that is a great idea. (we haven't booked our tickets yet) Actually, bobthenavigator also suggested that and it would be the most ideal situation. I wanted to fly home from Naples, but from Naples to Orlando, I don't have many good options. I have two connections and very long flight/airport layovers times. Plus, I think it was a few hundred more. I actually wouldn't have minded paying a few hundred dollars more if it would have been more efficient....
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Krgystn - we are going to do 4 days in Tuscany and then on the 5th day head to Rome. So, we will have almost 4 full days there. I wish we could have more there!

I wish Naples had better connections into Orlando! I am a big fan of flying into one airport and home from another.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:28 PM

Jill, another option to consider if Naples does not have good connections is to fly in or out of Tuscany. Check Florence or Pisa airports.
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

I did check on the pisa and florence airports and they had 2 connections as well...
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 07:00 PM

Jill, I understand your desire to wind down a trip. But, for me, that last day or two would be "wasted" because I would spend so much time worrying about whether our transportation would work out back to that far airport.

Please remember, train/bus/transporation strikes happen fairly regularly in Italy. Would you be prepared if the day you were to head back to Rome, the trains and buses were not running?

This is why, when I have to fly in/out of Rome, I land in Rome and head straight to my furthest destination. Then work my way back to Rome and end my trip there.

SO, if you ARE going to fly out of Pisa/Florence/Venice, then you might want to actually spend the last 3/4 days of your trip there "winding down".

(Of course, I think there are many "winding down" activities I can do in Rome, most of which include lots of wine. )

Buon viaggio!
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Very good point...
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 08:06 PM

fly into Naples...hop on the bus to the port...fastferry to Positano. then ferry back to Naples, train to Rome portion OR shorter ferry from Positano to Salerno where you can catch the train to Rome..then train to Florence for your Tuscany portion..fly out of Florence or Pisa.
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Believe me - I want to fly into Naples or Pisa but the connections to Orlando are very bad. I would have two connections and long layovers...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -