6 days too long for Amsterdam?

Jul 21st, 2007, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

6 days too long for Amsterdam?

Would you break up your trip and head somewhere else as well? Even for the day? How far is Brussels from Amsterdam? Suggestions?
Jul 21st, 2007, 03:39 AM

It's been some time since I visited Amsterdam, but some things are universal:
-- are you a city person as a rule, or would you find yourself needing a change of pace after three or four days? This is me: it doesn't matter if it is Amsterdam or Paris or whatever; six days in any city would be a long time.
-- what are your goals for the trip as a whole? For Amsterdam?
-- are you a sports-minded person, and would you be content to pursue such activities as can be done in the city or on daytrips?
-- It is a three hour trip from Amsterdam to Brussels by rail. While people go between Paris and London for the day (and by Eurostar it takes almost that amount of time) it would not be my idea of a daytrip (three hours round-trip, maybe, but not each way.)
Jul 21st, 2007, 04:01 AM
sjj

My wife and I love Amsterdam, but unless you're deeply into art six days is a little long. Rather than go to Brussels, I'd suggest Antwerp or Brugges. Antwerp is a day trip, and Brugges is an overnighter.
Jul 21st, 2007, 04:10 AM

My daughter and I spent a week in A'dam with a day trip to Brussels. We loved both cities. Great train ride spotting windmills.
Have a good trip!
sal
Jul 21st, 2007, 04:13 AM

Take a train out to the large art gallery in the middle of the enormous park to the North East. Name????
Jul 21st, 2007, 04:17 AM

The park is Hoge Veluwe the museum the Kroller Muller.
There is far more to the Netherlands than Amsterdam! In 6 days you can also visit the Hague, which has plenty to see and do, go up to ENkhuizen to the open air museum there, or go to the Delta works near Rotterdam. Or Utrecht, Maastricht, or Groningen. Plenty of cities to visit and lovely countryside too. Hire bikes and ride out to Marken. Visit Zaanse Schans or Kinderdijk. Haarlem.
Stacks to do - 6 days won't be enough
Jul 21st, 2007, 04:20 AM

it depends how adventurous you feel I would suppose. Amsterdam is, I find, best experienced when completely lost! wandering down back alley streets is perhaps not the most wise thing for a tourist to do, but if you keep yourself from looking conspicuous (ie, leave bulky cameras, and things that give you away as a tourist, in a deposit box in the hotel) and see the city from it's underbelly... perhaps it won't be quite as clean, pristine and tourist friendly as the mainstreets, but you'll certainly have something to write home about!

Exploring places you usually wouldnt go could prolong the trip by several weeks, let alone a few extra days!

but thats just my 2cents!
Jul 21st, 2007, 04:23 AM

I think 6 days in Amsterdam is too long unless you want to visit every museum in detail.

You can reduce it by at least 2 days.

I would spend 2 days in Brugges. It has got to be the most beautiful small city anywhere.

Last year we were in Brugges for 2 days and Amsterdam for 3. Brugges is just beautiful. On the 2nd day we rented bikes and drove to the edge of the city and around a bike path stopping at the windmills.

You can see our photos at:
www.travelwalks.com

Select the 2006 trip to Prague, Budapest, Brugges and Amsterdam.

Unfortunately you'll have to look at Prague and Budapest first.

Jul 21st, 2007, 04:58 AM
DAX

Only if you can peel your son away from the coffee shops to discover other highs in life. Most of us are too old to give credible advice to your 22 year old son. You should ask the same question on the lonely planet board where he can better relate/listen.

The most difficult part is that he's joining a group tour exploring Europe after his 6 day stay in Amsterdam.
Jul 21st, 2007, 07:39 AM

6 days is NOT too long. First of all, Amsterdam is a great base for a dozen or more day trips all within an hour or so by inexpensive train. Haarlem, Delft, Ekhusien, Hoorn, Alkmaar, Apeldoorn (for the Royal Palace, Het Loo), Den Haag, and Rotterdam just to name a few. And then each day you return to Amsterdam for the nightlife and restaurants.
Jul 21st, 2007, 08:07 AM

It's not too long. I've been there three times...once for a week...the last time for five nights. There's plenty to do and day trips to take. That being said, if it was my first time in that area, I would break up the trip with four nights in Amsterdam and two nights in Brugge, Belgium. You could fly into Amsterdam and out of Brussels.
Jul 21st, 2007, 08:15 AM

I don't think it's too long at all. I spent 5 days there solo, had a great time, and felt I'd barely scratched the surface. And, no, I didn't spend all my time in museums! What time of year is the trip (I'm wondering about the weather)? If summer, places like Vondelpark are great to see.
Jul 22nd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

DAX...dead on...but his sister did recommend Brugges for a visit as she loved it! Sue...yes, I was vague..there will be 3 university grads spending time there before my son heads off with contiki. He mentionned going to Brugges on her recommendation..will research that..thanks to all for the great responses..I have been out of town for the weekend so could not respond earlier.
Jul 22nd, 2007, 09:01 AM

Young people might prefer Antwerp to Brugge; beautiful though Brugge is, they might find it a bit boring. Very full with tourists most of the year.

You could do Antwerp as a daytrip from Amsterdam, but staying over one night would be more fun.
Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Antwerp, eh? Will google it..thanks!