Reload this Page >

6 days in Amsterdam?

Search

6 days in Amsterdam?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:21 AM
sue

6 days in Amsterdam?

I may have the opportunity to spend a week in Amsterdam. I'm a single adult woman traveling solo. I plan to visit some of the more famous museums, and would like to take some day trips, although admittedly I haven't done my homework yet and don't know what to expect. I've spent a good deal of time in Italy and France, but for some reason, although I'm excited about going, I'm still undecided as to whether I will enjoy a whole week in Amsterdam. Opinions please.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:37 AM
JohnL

A search on this site will show up many things to do in Amsterdam. That said, 6 days in the city itself may be a little much. Plan side trips out to other locales and the time will be taken up nicely. The people are friendly and the atmosphere is casual. The city is easy to navigate; just watch out for the bicyclists who will not slow down for distracted tourists. We loved the city and you'll be glad you took the opportunity to visit. (Don't miss the Anne Frank house; go early.)

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:49 AM
Louise

Take a side trip to Bruges, Belgium. It is a very easy train trip, stay there one night, it is worth the extra expense (sounds like your trip is paid for?) You will see more beauty there than you can possibly imagine.<BR><BR>Do NOT miss Bruges. you are so close....<BR>you will love it!<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:38 PM
Julie

Sue, I too am a single adult woman who usually travels solo. In particular, I have been to Amsterdam several times (all solo) over the years, each trip ranging anywhere from 4-10 days and have always managed to find plenty to do. Although Amsterdam has a small-city feel, I still consider it to be very cosmopolitan. Plus Holland is a fairly small country and very easily travelled by train so day trips are very do-able. I think once you start doing your research/homework you'll find plenty to do in 6 days in and around Amsterdam. It's a fabulous city beyond the Red Light District although I admit I even found that fascinating to some degree. Enjoy!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 11:05 PM
Diane

You'll find plenty to do in a week. There are wonderful museums, the Anne Frank House, wandering the city and taking in the beautiful architecture. Take a canalboat ride; they are offered during the day and evening. There are many day trips to take. Bruge is a bit far but well worth the effort. You can visit Marken and Volendam in one day. I spent a week there in 1996 and never got bored.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 11:32 AM
karen

Sue, I traveled solo to Amsterdam last week and loved it! Stayed in the museum area, walked everywhere. Took a canal boat tour very first thing and became oriented to the city. Did find it helpful to do a lot of research prior to the trip, so that I would know which areas I wanted to focus on and which I wanted to avoid. The VanGogh Gauguin exhibit, the Anne Frank House, the Rijksmuseum, the Concertgebouw (wonderful acoustics if you like classical, and jazz concerts in the smaller hall), walking, walking, walking along the canals. Most of all, I found the Dutch people to be genuine, friendly, and very helpful. Discovered lots of interesting places on little side streets (like the patisserie Pompadour on huidenstraat 12--handmade chocolates to die for). 6 days(including the first "jet lag" one) was a perfect time frame for me. Karen<BR><BR>Karen <BR>