Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

6 day Paris itinerary - opinions please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I feel like I've done my research and perhaps I'm overdoing my days... but there is just SO MUCH I want to see!!! Posting this to all my fodorite friends to see what you think. Am I overly ambitious, or is it ok? I realize it will be impossible to stick to this, but we'll give it a try!

Day 1 - Mon 7/6 - arrive CDG Paris 6.30 a.m.
Check in at hotel- Marais district
(get Metro pass)
Marais neighborhood / Place des Vosges
Ile de la Cite/ Pont Neuf - just walk around
Lunch - Brasserie D'Ile St. Louis
Eiffel Tower, 7e - to the top! / Trocadero
early dinner/early to bed?

Day 2 - Tues 7/7 - Paris - *Bday Celebration!*
'Bike About' Tour 10am-2pm
Jardin de Luxembourg, 6e / picnic?
Montparnasse, 14e, cafes etc.
Catacombs, 14e
B'day Dinner - Les Ombres (7e)- 8pm

Day 3 - Weds 7/8 - (Get museum pass at St.Chappelle)
*Notre Dame (open everyday 10-6pm)
*La Sainte Chappelle, 4e
Walk Champs Elysee - Laduree Bakery
Place de Concorde / *Arc de Triomphe, 8e
Lunch at Café de l'Homme
Jardin des Tuileries
*Louvre, 1e - evening (open Weds/Fri evenings 6-10pm)

Day 4 - Thur 7/9 - Champagne region/Reims - train depart Gare de l'Est 8h57, arrive Reims 9h42
N.D. Cathedral in Reims / Village
visit Veuve Clicqout - tour from 2-3 p.m.
Pommery (tasting only), open 10-7pm
Depart Reims 7h24, arrive Paris 9h19

Day 5 - Fri 7/10
Montemarte/ Sacre Couer / Moulin Rouge - 18e
*L'Orangerie (1e)
Dinner - Le Florimand, 19 av de la Motte-Picquet (7.30ish?) - 7e
Night time cruise on Seine (1 hour, go at 9.30pm)

Day 6 - Sat 7/11 - Paris
Saxe-Bretuil Open Market - 7am-2pm (7e)
*Musee d'Orsay (7e)
*Les Invalides - Napoleon's tomb (7e)
St. Germain de Pres/ Latin Quarter - cafes (Cafe de Flore & Les Deux Magots- for drinks), 5e & 6e
Tour Montparnasse (to top) at night!, 14e

Day 7 - Sun 7/12 - Paris/Loire
Bastille Sunday Market (11e)
Pick up Rental car and head to Loire!

Any thoughts or opinions are much appreciated! Thanks. Can't wait for our trip!!
Should I post the 4-day Loire itinerary, too?
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 07:22 PM

You should indicate if you have been to Paris before.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 12:58 AM

You may find that the crowds in July restrict the number of activities you can do and sites you can see each day. The waits at Notre Dame tower, D'Orsay and Eiffel Tower may exceed 2 hours.

Another thing: Paris is chock full of terrific, nameless eating establishments. I would not go out of my way to eat at any mid-level restaurant, brasserie or cafe about which I'd read or heard.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 01:28 AM

Unless you are really into war history/memorabilia I would skip the war museums at Les Invalides. Napoleon's Tomb is interesting though.

Paris will probably be very hot in July, you may need to slow down a couple of those days and fit in a few drinks breaks.

I agree with hmmm that if you find that you aren't near the restaurants on your list, don't worry. You will easily find somewhere else to eat. The other thing we adore for lunch in Paris is a crusty filled baguette, a cold drink, a pastry and we just find a spot in a park and relax. Oh, don't sit on the grass though!!

I know it's a really individual thing, but to me, it is a huge waste of time to sit for 2-3 hours at lunch time, there is too much to see! I just get impatient and want to get moving again.

Do go to the Jardin du Luxembourg, we were lucky enough to rent an apartment on Blvd St Michel last year, right across from the jardin. Every afternoon, we would stop there on the way back to our apartment and just sit and watch the children playing with their boats on the pond etc. We would watch the chess players, the children on the pony rides, Parisienne ladies catching some sun (still elegant even if they have kicked off their shoes and hitched up their skirts) etc it is a lovely park and really shouldn't be missed.

Have you been to Paris before? If not, then I hope you love it. If I could, I would move to Paris tomorrow!!
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 03:24 AM

It seems like you have a lot packed into the 6 or 7 days of your trip. Depending on how you fare on overnight flights, you may find that on your arrival day especially you are too tired to accomplish all that you have set out to do. I would build in some wandering around time or "relax in a cafe" time.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 04:13 AM

I'm assuming this is your first trip since you're hitting all of the top sites...

I would add L'Orangerie to the day you visit the Tuileries, the museum is right by there. I would move the Louvre to another day, it takes at least a half day, especially if you love art.

Make sure you eat at L'as du Falafel in the Marais, they have the best sandwiches I've ever had. Soooo good!

Re: hmmmm's comment about restaurants, there are also tons of poor to mediocre restaurants in Paris, and when we were there we unfortunately chose some of these because we didn't do our research. It pays to do a little research and end up with a better than average meal!
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 05:18 AM

Regarding day 2: If you really want to visit the Catacombs, I suggest doing it immediately after lunch, and then you will know how much time you have left to explore the 14th before getting back to hotel to prep for your birthday dinner. (You probably won't have much time at all.)

<<<Day 2 - Tues 7/7 - Paris - *Bday Celebration!*
'Bike About' Tour 10am-2pm
Jardin de Luxembourg, 6e / picnic?
Montparnasse, 14e, cafes etc.
Catacombs, 14e
B'day Dinner - Les Ombres (7e)- 8pm>>>
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 05:23 AM

I think it looks good but agree with britomart about Orangerie and lub2cthings about Catacombs.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 06:31 AM

Two small suggestions for day 1. Go down to and walk around the Square Vert Gallant at the tip of the Ile de la Cite. There are stone steps from approximately half-way across the Pont Nuef, on the left as you walk aaway from the left bank.

http://pjk.smugmug.com/photos/145518522_X8idt-M-2.jpg

And at the Brasserie D'Ile St Lois, whatever else looks good, share a tart a l'onion.

And if you get a nice night, take a bottle of wine out onto the Pont des Arts, the next one over from the Pont Neuf. It's a pedestrian bridge with benches down the middle. Go about 8:45 or 9:45 which will give you time to find a seat, open the wine and then watch the Eiffel Tower begin to twinkle on the hour. It's an expirience.

Bon chance!
Pjk
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 07:10 AM

<And if you get a nice night, take a bottle of wine out onto the Pont des Arts, the next one over from the Pont Neuf. It's a pedestrian bridge with benches down the middle. Go about 8:45 or 9:45 which will give you time to find a seat, open the wine and then watch the Eiffel Tower begin to twinkle on the hour. It's an expirience.

Bon chance!
Pjk>

I was told to view from Pont Neuf. Is Pont des Arts better?
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 07:29 AM

The Pont Neuf is a motorway with sidewalks and several "indents" in the railings to sit and take photos. The view from there might let you see a little more of the tower.

But the Pont des Arts is a pedestrian bridge...

http://pjk.smugmug.com/photos/516947271_Ub9zz-M.jpg

...and all of the young (and young at heart) people go out there with various things - guitars and blankets, bottles of wine, entire picnics. You might even see a catered affair for well-to-do people with tables and candles. Nice nights there after dark are unique happenings in Paris. You can only see the top portion of the tower, but it's worth a look-see one night if you are in the area, and maybe a go-back if it looks appealing.

We never miss going at least once.

Pjk
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Wow guys, thank you so much! I've incorporated many of the things you suggest here and rearranged some of the other activities. I really appreciate the responses. MERCI!