500 Messages per Frame!

Jun 24th, 2001, 06:57 PM
xxx

500 Messages per Frame!

Yes! Keep up the good work there at HQ. It's looking good!

Jun 24th, 2001, 06:59 PM
xxx

Hmmm...

When I logged on and scrolled down, there were 500 messages in the first left-hand frame. When I posted this message and went back to the board, there were only 50. Can only guess that you're working on it there at HQ.

Jun 24th, 2001, 07:02 PM
xxx

Did a reload (refresh, to you PC users) and it's back to 500. Maybe I don't quite understand the fine points yet. Still, I appreciate work you're doing to make this a smoother-running board.

Jun 24th, 2001, 07:52 PM
xxx

Eureka!

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.cfm?fid=2&rows=500

If you use this URL, you'll get 500 messages in the left frame!

Jun 24th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Rex

I wondered who else would figure this out. I pushed it up to 30,000 last night (and grabbed all the tid's) - - but figured that I better not say anything about it.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jun 25th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Paulo

I've a feeling that if everybody starts loading 500 or more thread titles in the left frame, the site will eventually call for mercy

Look at it as the threads beeing stored in a computer disk at random. All threads have a forum flag and a time flag (last reply time). Oracle search function must now retrieve all threads bearing the fid=2 flag (Europe) and order them by time flag, displaying "rows" number of threads. Of course, Fodor's programmer is smart and he may doing such a search from time to time (say every minute or two) and cash the result. So, when one orders such a search one is actually only retrieving the info that was cashed (and not performing a search from scratch). What's unknown is how many rows the programmer has set the computer to cash (50, 100, 300?).

Paulo

PS. This cashing procedure may explain why not necessarily a thread is immediately sent to the top when posted ... it may be because the procedure indeed only performs REAL searches at set times.

Jun 26th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Blooper

Rex, don't even THINK about grabbing my tids !!!

Jun 26th, 2001, 06:48 AM
Cindy

Nice feature indeed? Does anyone know how to make it work on the USA board?

Jul 8th, 2001, 03:28 AM
Kathy

What's happened??...The URL for the 500 messages isn't working anymore.

Jul 8th, 2001, 04:10 AM
s.fowler

The reason it doesn't work anymore is because the forums are back to the previous version.