Reload this Page >

5 nights in Pienza?

Search

5 nights in Pienza?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Jim

5 nights in Pienza?

We're planning 5 nights to visit Umbria and Tuscany in early June. <BR><BR>We've been to Northern Tuscany, but would like to spend one day returning to Siena. We'd like to visit some southern towns, such as Montelpuciano (sp?), but primarily would like to explore a couple places in Umbria (Todi? Spoleto? Perugia? Assissi?). <BR><BR>Our initial thought is to stay based in one spot that accessible to all by car, so we're thinking of 5 nights at Le Traverse as a base.<BR><BR>Any thoughts? Would it be better to split our time, and spend a couple of nights in Umbria proper? General thoughts on Umbria?<BR><BR>Comments much appreciated

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:07 PM

ttt

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Wayne

If you want to spend all 5 days in one spot, you might want to consider Arezzo, a nice centrally located town with good highway connections in all directions.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Jim

Thanks Wayne. Arezzo doesn't seem that far from Pienza, though. Is there another reason why we should reconsider Le Traverse/Pienza?

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Lil

I would love to stay five nights in Pienza, it is a great town and eat at Latte Luna!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Julie

We spent 4 nights in Pienza last Sept. and never ran out of day trips. Did not go far into Umbria though. If you don't mind the extra packing and unpacking, you might do 3 in Pienza and 2 in Assisi, Perugia, etc. On the other hand, if you don't mind a little extra driving each day, it does look doable to do even the more easterly of the towns from Pienza. It is a great little town. We stayed at the Il Chiostro and liked it a lot.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:12 AM
m

Jim,<BR> You have picked some fine choices. I am going to many of those in just two weeks. My boyfriend's sister is studying in Perugia so we are basing our stay in Pienza and Perugia. If you go to venere.com you can find lots of places to stay. These two spots are great to commute to Siena and Assisi, and the other surrounding areas..have fun, I know we will...

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:21 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jim, If you really want to see Umbria, and I think you should, then I would split the time. It is a good drive from Pienza to Assisi. Good luck !

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:38 PM
Jim

Thanks. Still not sure, but let me ask a different question:<BR><BR>If we do settle on 5 nights at Le Traverse/Pienza, where should we go (in Umbria, as well as Tuscany) without spreading ourselves too thin? Say two, or maybe three, towns in a day, and perhaps one day just cooling out closer to home.<BR><BR>We don't mind driving an hour or two after dinner, which should be taken into account.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:44 PM
Tom @ Scala Reale

My favorite place to stay in Tuscany is the Agriturismo Santo Pietro in between Pienza and Montepulciano. Beautifully restored farmhouse, excellent food, just a handful of individually designed rooms furnished with nice antiques and a few modern Italian design pieces. You need a car to get there and speaking some Italian is helpful in communicating with Anna and Felice, the owners. That said, I'll be mean and not give out their phone number since I know they already get about all the business they can handle; if you're industriuous enough to track them down you'll be rewarded.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 02:24 PM
ttt

to the top