Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

5 hour layover---enough to go into Amsterdam city?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 01:44 AM
jmv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave tomorrow and have 5 hours between planes in AMS-Schipol airport. I know we've gone into town on the train on previous long layovers but can't remember the minimum number of hours one should allow to be safe with new security. We'll be coming from an international flight but leaving on an intra Europe flight to Nice so check in shouldn't be too bad. I'm inclined to do it. Anyone think we shouldn't? What's your rule of thumb for am't of time to go into town and return and still make your next flight? Thanks.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 05:17 AM
JonJon

You may recall the train into Centraal Station takes about 15-20 minutes one way and they run frequently both ways, all day.
Assuming your luggage is checked all the way through so that shouldn't be a problem.
I just returned from Amsterdam this past week and even check-in for a flight to the US didn't take that long.
You'll get a lot of opinion on this but I would personally feel comfortable arriving back at Schiphol 1 1/2 hours ahead of my flight departure..the real "delay" may be checking in for the flight since I assume you won't already have boarding passes..if you do then even less time would be needed I suspect. Good luck.
By the way..would it be possible for you to check in and obtain boarding passes for the flight to Nice BEFORE you go into town....I would definitely explore THAT possibility since to do so would not entail going through security or anything else..when you return you proceed directly to the boarding gate.