Search

Changing planes in Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing planes in Amsterdam

Hi all,

My husband and I will be taking a trip to Italy in May. I'm looking at my ticket options on orbitz and I'm wondering how realistic it is to have a very quick turnaround in Amsterdam on our way back, even though we're changing airlines. I'll be coming from Milan on KLM, changing to a Continental flight to Houston. Can I comfortably do that with a 50 minute layover? I can opt for a (much) longer layover but of course would like to maximize our time. I've looked at maps of the airport online but it doesn't tell me where particular airlines are based. Thanks!
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 01:56 PM

I will let you know if 50 minutes is enough as I have a connection of 60 minutes to make next Friday 11/29/03. I am flying Northwest from Detroit to Amsterdam and then 60 minutes later KLM to Rome.

Larry J
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 04:14 PM

In January 2002 we had 2 hours betwen Continental flight and KLM flight. Continental flight arrived late. You are talking about international connection on two different carriers. With 50 minutes you may make it or not. I would go for a longer connection
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 04:18 PM

Nortwest and KLM are linked and so if you have a quick connection at Schipol and have to change airlines these would be the two to have. So I'm not sure the experience LarryJ has will be enough information for you.What I don't remember is if KLM and Continental are in the same terminal. The website for the airport would show you. Even if they are I would be uncomfortable with such a short layover. Moreove, Malpensa (Milan) has one of the worst on time records for airports in Europe, so if you're going to be delayed Malpensa is a likely airport for that. Schipol on the other hand is an extremely easy airport to navigate.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 04:24 PM

I should add that we missed our connection to NBO because of Continental flight. We had to wait until 10 pm (11 hours of waiting) to get on the next flight to Nairobi. Fortunately, there is a hotel in the airport so we rented a room for a day.
I agree with McBetsy, I would be very uncomfortable with such a short layover.

Old Nov 24th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I won't risk it!