Notices

5 days in southern Ireland

Old Feb 5th, 2020, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 days in southern Ireland

Hello Everyone-
My extended family is taking a guided tour through Ireland in June. We have a wonderful itinerary planned with a tour company. Essentially we start in Dublin and end in Listowel (where my husband's family is from). HOWEVER... after that, my husband and our 1 year old son are taking a few more days to travel on our own (without a guide and my in-laws) and we want to go south, with a rental car. I've done a lot of research but Im looking for advice on an itinerary that makes the most sense. Below is the itinerary I put together but I welcome input.

Essentially Im figure out how to balance our time between Dingle, Kerry and Cork. A friend recommended the Ard Na Sidhe house in Killorglin for it's centrality to allow day trips without having to pack up everything and a 1 yr old toddler.

Day 1: Leave Listowel and drive to Dingle. Spend the day there and the Dingle Peninsula (maybe Blasket Islands?), drive on to Ard Na Sidhe House on Caragh Lake (Kerry).
Day 2: Day Trip to Valentia Islands. Return to Ard Na Sidhe House
Day 3: Check out of Ard Na Sidhe House and Drive to Ring of Kerry for the day. Drive to Kenmare and stay at Sheen Falls Hotel
Day 4: Day Trip to Kilarney. Return to Sheen Falls Hotel in Kenmare
Day 5: Check out and Drive to Cork for the day but then onto Dublin

Questions:
Should I spend more time than a day in Dingle? Hotels there were hard to come by. I confess I do like nicer accommodations, but not all are friendly to 1 yr olds.
Should spend more than just an afternoon in Cork? I have a reservation at Hayfield Manor as a backup.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions