Five Days in southern Ireland need advice Shannon airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2019, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying from New York to Shannon on Sunday night arriving Monday morning. We are invited to a wedding at Dromoland Castle the following Saturday night and plan to sleep at the sister location Saturday and Sunday nights and fly out Monday morning.
The question is how much to do between the Monday we arrive and the following Saturday afternoon wedding. Here are my thoughts.

Rent a car at the Airport and drive to Adare and then to Killarney. Sleep in Killarney Monday and Tuesday nights- enjoy the National park and the town Maybe even drive to Kenmare
Wednesday morning drive to Dingle from Killarney and tour the Dingle Peninsula including the visitors center for the Blasket Islands and Slea Head
Wednesday night sleep in Dingle
Thursday take the drive to Cliffs of Moher and parts of The Burren
Thursday night sleep in Galway dinner in Galway
Friday night sleep in Galway tour in Galway
Saturday leave Galway around 1:00p drive to Saint John's Church Cratloe, County Clare, Ireland
Wedding Saturday evening Dromoland Castle
Sunday free maybe falcon walk or Bunratty Castle
Monday morning flight home.

Would love your comments on this itinerary. We were originally thinking of driving through Adare and then to Rock of Cashel
Staying Cashel Monday night but then it seems to squeeze the rest of the trip.
One of our questions is what would you recommend Galway or Rock of Cashel.
I purposely flew into and out Shannon instead of flying into Dublin because we don't really have full week.
I've already booked my flight.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Old Feb 1st, 2019, 07:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just one quick note: >>Rent a car at the Airport and drive to Adare and then to Killarney. Sleep in Killarney Monday and Tuesday nights<<

No, no, no . . . Driving at all after an overnight flight can be very dangerous. And it isn't just the possible jet lag. SNN > Adare > Kilarney is about a 2.5 hour drive plus stops. I'd take a bus or taxi to Ennis and spend the first night there car-less. Get a car the next day . . .
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Janisj Thanks for your quick reply. You are probably right about the driving. What about if we reverse it?

Arrive Monday morning and take the bus to Gallway
Spend Monday afternoon and all day Tuesday in Galway
Monday and Tuesday nights - sleep in Galway
Wednesday morning early- rent a car and drive to the Cliffs of Moher possibly the Burren and Drive to Dingle (long day but lots of scenery)
Wednesday night - sleep in Dingle
Thursday day drive to Sleahead and Blasket Island visitors center and other areas around the Dingle peninsular (possibly food trail related)
plus later Thursday - Drive to Killarney
Thursday night Killarny
Friday tour the Killarney National Park - possibly Kenmore
Friday night Killarney
Saturday drive to St John's Church in County Clare for a 2pm wedding
Saturday night wedding Dromoland
Saturday and Sunday night sleep at the Inn at Dromoland
Sunday recover and possibly nearby Bunratty Castle or Falcon viewing at Dromoland
Monday morning return to NYC.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 07:18 AM

Dashing out so no time to digest the plan -- will be back later. But yes - bus, a couple of car-less days and then picking up a car would be better. Whether Galway is the best place -- like I said, I'll look over the rest of the plan later today. But I'm sure others will chime in . . .
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 10:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes to Galway over Rock of Cashel. Where do you fly from? We fly direct from the east coast so jet lag is not so bad for us. If you have a long day of flying I would take a bus to Galway. Wish you had time for an Aran islands day trip. If your flight is not long you could rent from the airport and drive to Doolin for the first night 63 km. I love pubs and music there. See the cliffs on the way. Your schedule sounds great btw. The wedding will be so much fun. Are you wearing a fascinator hat? Whole different thread!
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 10:18 AM

Had time to look it over more and I agree w/ macross that your new plan looks very nice.

BTW, It isn't the length of flight -- it is the time zones and loss of a night that can cause havoc. People flying from JFK or ATL will have much the same issues as one flying from SFO or LAX. And most times one does not even realize they are experiencing micro-sleeps which is when disaster can happen. That is why driving really isn't recommended.
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 10:53 AM

I agree that the new plan is doable. I would tweak the new plan by reducing Galway to a one night stay and add a night to Killarney. Galway is a fun city but it has few major attractions. You do not have time for a day trip to Aran Islands (Inishmore) or a driving tour of the Connemara. And you only have one full day in Killarney which has many attractions. Two full days would allow a visit to Killarney National Park (including Muckross House tour) and a Gap of Dunloe tour. You could fit in a visit to Kenmare and some of the Iveragh Peninsula (Ring of Kerry). Also a jaunting car (pony traps) ride.

Gap of Dunloe Tours
https://www.getyourguide.com/killarney-l1621/gap-of-dunloe-lakes-of-killlarney-boat-tour-t144624/

For your long day of driving from Galway to Killarney I would concentrate on The Burren enroute. The strangest and most compelling landscape you will ever see. Poulnabrone dolmen is a must see. If you do not make it to the Cliffs of Moher you can visit there on Sunday. You are staying at the Inn of Dromoland which is less than an one hours drive to the Cliffs of Moher.

Last edited by dugi_otok; Feb 3rd, 2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your help in planning the trip. From looking at the guidebooks, I thought we should stay two days in Galway but now after reading your suggestions, I'll check out Killarney for a longer stay. We thought we might do the Dingle Peninsula because we read ( or I listened to a podcast) that told us the ring of kerry can get very crowed and can be dangerous to drive. Lots to think about. I'll let you know what we decide. thank you
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 06:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
If you did two days you could do an aran islands tour from Rossaveal or Doolin. I like Galway for a base for the many pubs with good music and food in the evening, We are staying four nights there but doing day trips. I have been to Ireland so many times I have lost count but the pony cart ride has never been on my to-do list. I am going to try and get to Clifden this trip and back to Inishmor as my husband is going with me and has never been. The cliffs there are by far better imo than the cliffs of moher.

I love the Dingle Penisula.
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

I like the idea of driving to the Cliffs of Moher on Sunday. Maybe even have lunch in Doolin.
I have to ask the Mother of the Bride if it is appropriate to wear a fascinator. Sounds like fun.
Old Feb 4th, 2019, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/five-days-in-southern-ireland-need-advice-sha

Looking back at our itinerary and your suggestions, I agree that we should only stay one night in Galway but it would still be a long drive the second day through the Burren to Dingle.
We are thinking of staying in Kilrush after driving through the Burren and not going all the way to Dingle.
I'm hoping we could then sleep in Kilrush and take the ferry from Killmer to Tarbert and then drive to Dingle from there.

Monday bus to Galway and walk around Galway
Monday night sleep in Galway
Tuesday rent a car and drive through The Burren
Tuesday night sleep in Kilrush
Wednesday Ferry to Tarbert and drive to Dingle
Wednesday night sleep in Dingle
Thursday tour Sleahead and Blasket Island visitors center drive to Killary
Thursday night sleep in Killarney
Friday tour Killarney National Park & mansion?
Saturday late morning drive drive to St Johns in co Clare for wedding
Sunday cliffs of Moher/ Doolin for lunch
Monday fly home.

Could you let us know if you think this works? I haven't added a extra night in Killarney but I think we could be there earlier from Dingle because we will get to Dingle earlier on Wednesday. Thank you all for your help.

Will definitely do a trip report.

Old Feb 5th, 2019, 09:30 AM

I like your latest plan. Consider staying on the south (Tarbert side ) of the ferry crossing. Ferry leaves every 30 min in the summer, crossing takes 20 min. Below are a couple of B&Bs close to Tarbert you might consider. Gives you more time in Dingle (2 hour drive) on Wednesday.

https://www.shannonferries.com/page/ferry-timetable/7

https://www.booking.com/hotel/ie/cas...oom=#hotelTmpl

https://goo.gl/maps/mMJ54Yk79qJ2

https://www.booking.com/hotel/ie/gre...oom=#hotelTmpl

https://goo.gl/maps/vfdtAoU69iH2
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Dugi_otok/ Glad to hear you like our revised plan. and thanks for all the links.

I'm still trying to find out how you all know how to help people like me when I post something. I'd like to do the same for other in the New York area.
Do you do a search of Ireland somehow and have it sent to you? just wondering, but thank you
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 02:16 PM

I like your revised plan a lot. We did your original Dingle to Galway plan back in 2016 and it was a long, hard day. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun day but we were SO EXHAUSTED when we got to Galway that no one even wanted dinner, just bed! Your revised plan sounds more relaxing.
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 05:41 PM

>>I'm still trying to find out how you all know how to help people like me when I post something. I'd like to do the same for other in the New York area.
Do you do a search of Ireland somehow and have it sent to you? just wondering, but thank you<<

Not quite sure what you're asking. Do you mean how we find threads/questions about Ireland . . . or how we know the answers?

We find questions about Ireland (or France or London, or Madrid or wherever) just by looking at the Europe Forum. If there is a specific country one is interested in - they can click on 'View by Country' which will then display just that country.

If on the other hand you are asking how do we know the information we post to help travelers? Mostly because we've traveled to the places multiple times, or live there, or lived there in the past. People who love cities/countries they've visited often do sign up for blogs or newsletters about those places to help keep up to date on developments (for instance I read daily newspapers from the UK and get e-mail alerts about lost of places I've visited/lived (Paris, Scotland, Ireland, Peru, Kyoto, London Theatre, whatever)

If you want to help people who have questions about New York -- check out the United States forum.