5 days in Rome - any suggestions?

Sep 6th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

5 days in Rome - any suggestions?

My girlfriend and I will be visiting paris and rome in two weeks (4 days paris, 5 rome). I have been to paris and am pretty well versed there...but much less so about rome. Any insider tips (besides the standards, Trevi fountain, spanish steps, vatican, etc). Thanks very much.
Sep 6th, 2005, 07:03 PM

and the things you enjoy doing are....??
Sep 6th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, should have clarified...museums, restaurants, sight seeing, etc...but we also like shopping or just sitting in a cafe watching the world go by. We are staying on the via veneto so we should be very centrally located.
Sep 6th, 2005, 07:11 PM

The grounds of Villa Borghese (I'm sure I butchered that) were lovely even in the middle of winter when I there. I bet it's gorgeous in the fall. There is a museum there, but just going to the grounds for a picnic and people watching would be fun, I think. The Spanish Steps were cool and there were good shops to browse thru in the area.
Sep 6th, 2005, 07:14 PM

Walk up the stairs designed by Michelangelo to the Capitoline hill. Go around to the rear of the Senate building and take in the view over the Forum toward the Colosseum. Then descend to the Forum and walk through history.
Sep 6th, 2005, 08:06 PM

I would suggest the museum at the Pamphilij Palace- it's a real palace occupied by Italian aristocrats, open to the public. Wonderful paintings, including a famous Caravaggio and Titian. excellent self-guided audio tour. The ballroom is the site of the premier performance of Handel's water music, just to let you know the caliber of the history of the place. Not many people know about this palce. Centrally located, not far from Pantheon.
Buon viaggio
Roz
Sep 6th, 2005, 08:13 PM

And, since you are staying on the Via Veneto go down the Via Veneto until you get to the Piazza Barberini. Right there at the end of the Via Veneto, where the subway stairs are is a cafe. Sit there at an outside table and have your morning coffee (if you get up early that is) and watch all the Romans as they go to work. You should find a newspaper rack there also if you want to get the International Herald Tribune to read while enjoying the people watching and your coffee. Nobody at the cafe will rush you. Have a wonderful time in Rome!!
Sep 6th, 2005, 08:14 PM

To sidetrack a little, ROZ, this is the place that I am interested in visiting - but I haven't heard much about it and I think I'm spelling it wrong when I "google" but i'll try this spelling.
Thank you so much for mentioning it.
Sep 6th, 2005, 08:24 PM

Hi, tfly212!

Of course there's plenty at the Vatican Museums and the Forum to fill more than 5 days (or 5 months), but there's something interesting and highly unusual that's quite close to where you're staying.

On the Via Veneto, down toward the Piazza Barberini, is the church of Santa Maria della Concezione, and in its basement is...an ossuary. Yes, you heard correctly: an ossuary, a crypt, a bone-house, the final resting place for thousands of Capuchin monks from centuries past. In this crypt, the bones of some 4000 monks are fashioned into wall decorations, chandeliers, crucifixes. Skulls are stacked in heaps some 5 or 6 ft. high. The skeletons of more revered church leaders are left intact and clad in brown robes. Altogether, an extremely impressive, even awesome display, all seemingly part of a brevity of life/memento mori theme.

You asked for something other than the standards, and I'd say this qualifies.

Rome is a glorious city--have a wonderful trip!

(NB: I know some people use the word "ossuary" to mean a bone-receptacle and not a bone-house, but in fact both meanings are acceptable.)

Sep 6th, 2005, 08:35 PM

We loved the Villa Borghese (sp?). The sculptures were unbelievable and it wasn't such a huge collection that you were overwhelmed. I would highly reccomend it.

the turnip
Sep 6th, 2005, 08:53 PM

Hi smalti, I am glad you brought this up since tfly212 will be right there on the Via Veneto. I didn't as I have know people that thought it was "sick" so I am always hesitant to mention it.
Best wishes.
Sep 6th, 2005, 09:08 PM

Hi, LoveItaly!

Yeah, I guess a visit to the Capuchin charnel-house is not the most obvious way to say, "romantic week in Rome with my girlfriend," but I think it is really very interesting. And unusual, which tfly212 seemed to want.

We'll lift a glass to you, LoveItaly, at the Atlanta GTG--you can be there in spirit!

Sep 6th, 2005, 09:16 PM

Hi smalti, LOL, noooo not romantic, that is for sure. And I too found it interesting but I have to tell some friends that went to Rome for their anniversary really chewed me out after they returned home. Didn't go over at all,let me assure you! Hmmmm, maybe that is why I hardly hear from them any more. You think? And some family members also let me know "they did not appreciate my recommendation". What is that old saying "different strokes for different folks".

About the Atlanta GTG. You have no idea how much I wish I could be there. Do think of me and know that I will be thinking of all of you. Cheers! P.S. Please give OWJ a big hug for me.