Search

5 days in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 days in Italy

Hi,
I am planning to visit Italy first time, in 1st week of April. 2 days in Rome, 1 day in Venice, 2 day in Florence and Pisa. Flying in and out of Rome.

What will be the best way to travel? I think car would be good to travel between two cities. or would train be better.

I understand 5 days might not be enough but hoping it will be a good orientation visit. Also it is a Good Friday week and planning to be in Florence for that (avoiding Rome).

Any suggestions, tips welcome.

Thanks,
NA
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:39 PM

Hi, we are doing basically the same thing, just a bit longer timetable. Our current plan is to fly into Rome. Stay in Rome and area 4 days. 5th day drive to Pisa. Same day, evening, take train to Venice. Do Venice and area 4 days and fly home from Venice.

We've never done it before. Just our plan. Looking forward to seeing what others tell you.

Katy
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:45 AM
ira

Hi N,

With such a short time, I suggest skipping Pisa, unless you absolutely have to have a pic of yourself holding up the tower.

In addition, I suggest that you fly into Venice and out of Rome. That will save you a day of backtracking and won't cost any more than the additional train ride.

I do hope that your 1 day in Venice is an overnight.

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:49 AM
ira

Hi K,

Why are you driving from Rome to Pisa?

It takes just as long as going by train.

Why are you giving up time in Rome and Venice to go to Pisa at all?

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 03:24 AM

I agree... take the train. It's a lot more relaxing. You don't have to contend with all the Vespas on the road. and you don't need to worry about parking.

I also agree... fly into Venice and out of Rome ... and skip Pisa. (Look at the Multiple Destinations choice in an air website to get flights and prices for your jaw-leg itinerary).
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 04:21 AM

Hi

Well, I think it is too many places to visit in just 5 days but that is up to you

I went to Rome in the summer of 2005 and it is a great places with lots to see and do. I have posted a trip report with some pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . Feel free to also check out the Google map that I have made that shows where some of the attractions are located: http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy_map.htm

We also went to Venice a few years back. And here is a similar trip report http://gardkarlsen.com/italy_venice.htm . Hope that this helps a little in the planning. Have a great trip.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you all for your responses. Actually I awill be flying in from Paris and returning back to US. So will see if I can get the airtravel set.

I understand it is too many places. I am very flexible with destinations though this being the first trip.

I am sure I can take a half day excursion to Pisa from Florence. Any suggestions?

NA
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:29 AM

Hi NA,

Be aware also that Florence will be mobbed with students of all ages on school field trips out on Easter break!

With only 5 days, I would also recommend skipping Pisa.

I hope you take the advice you are asking for! You are trying to do WAY to much in 5 days.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:22 AM
MaureenB

To fly in and out of Rome, and with only 5 days, I'd suggest you stay in Rome, with a day-trip to Florence. Too much rushing around to try to get to Venice and back on this trip, IMHO.
>-

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:29 AM
ira

Hi N,

>I will be flying in from Paris and returning back to US.

I suggest flying www.myair.com from Paris ORY to Venice VCE and flying home from Rome.

>I am sure I can take a half day excursion to Pisa from Florence. Any suggestions?<

Don't. If you get bored with Florence take a 1/2 day visit to Siena. The SITA bus leaves from near the SMN station on Via Santa Caterina de Siena and takes you into Siena: 1:30 hr, 13E RT.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Four Italian cities in five days? Absolute insanity! You'll spend a good portion of that time just going from destination to destination!
I would seriously recommend you rethink your plans....and with only five days, confine yourself to two cities. Even then, you'll won't even come close to experiencing the A-list items!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Visiting just Rome and 1 day trip to Florence and then go to Venice for 2 days sounds good.

Checked www.raileurope.com for trains and even you by Eurail pass it asks for reservation fair. The 3 day pass is $164 + $19/day for additional days. + $90 for 2nd class reservation. Isn't that too much.

May be flying will be cheaper.
NA
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:48 PM

With just 5 days, I'd limit myself to ONE city with a day trip or two to its surroundings.

But it's your trip...
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd travel by train between the cities. It's fun and easy.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Enjoy your trip!
You know that you won't be able to see all the highlights of Venice, Florence, and Rome, so pick what's important to you. Many sights are beautiful lit up at night and don't require admission: for example, Rome's Trevi Fountain and Pantheon and more, and the Leaning Tower and two other gorgeous buildings near it. So pick what you want to see/go into (the Vatican Museums and St. Peter's Basilica in Rome for example; St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace in Venice for example; the Duomo and Uffizi (you can see the David at the Accademia in an hour or less--just skip the rest of the museum) in Florence, for example--and walk by the other sights at night.

Or, arrange a one-day tour of each city. You'll have a great time! You just won't be able to shop as much as you'd like!!!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again.
Ya I plan to take 1/2 day or full day organized tours and not shop, so it might work.

Just found 50 euros for flying from Rome to Venice, sounds good. (much better than $300 + for train).

NA
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Where did you get $300 for the train Rome to Venice? RailEurope? Bad info. I just looked at a random day in March and it was 61 Euros for second class on a Eurostar. That was on www.trenitalia.it. And remember the train takes you from city center to city center. If you fly, add the time and cost for getting to and from the airport.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There's definitely something not right about that train price!
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Checked http://www.trenitalia.com/
The pricing for Rome to Venice is 51 Euros for 1 Adult.Looks good.

How do I go to Florence from Rome? Drive/Train/Tour?

Thanks you all.
NA