Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

5 days in Germany, tour or train, please advice

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Chitra

Hi,

I had posted a message about a short time in Germany and lodgings in Frankfurt. I got some helpful replies, so I decided to post more questions.

My first two days I'll be near Limburg. I'll have time during the day. Any suggestions for must-see things welcome.

I have 3 days after that. I defenitely want to see Neuschwanstein (spelling iffy). Grayline has a tour of the castle and Fussen leaving at 9:30 from Frankfurt coming back at 10:00 p.m. I don't know if they stop at Lindenhof. The charge is about $225, lunch and entrance included. This will be my first time in Germany. I'm a woman and will be travelling alone. I'm wondering if it is best to take the tour, or take a train. Given the short time I have I don't want to waste any time either.

I also want to see Heidelberg. Grayline has a tour for that as well, not as expensive though and a half day tour of the Rhine.

Advice welcome.

Chitra

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Russ

You spelled it correctly!

Neuschwanstein is stunning. However, I think it's truly a waste of time and money to travel that distance if you only plan to see Neuschwanstein and maybe Linderhof. There are lots and lots of things to see in Bavaria that are more worthwhile. N'stein is barely 100 years old, and in terms of historical significance, it is virtually meaningless (unless you are one of those people who are enthralled with the zaniness of King Lidwig.) It's a good 6.5 hours each way on the train, and apparently the bus isn't much faster. Save the time and money and buy yourself a nice sweatshirt with Ludwig's castle on it from an airport shop.

If you must go, take some time. Take the train to somewhere along the Romantic Road (Augsburg is a pleasant city with good connections to N'stein -- a better spot to daytrip from than Limburg), stay a couple nights, and see a few more things. Dachau, Ulm, and Munich are all possibilities. You could head to Heidelberg for your last day/night.

If you want to see some real castles, Limburg is a good spot to daytrip from. Take the train west along the Lahn river to Koblenz and you'll see castles along the way in Diez and Runkel; from Koblenz, take the train south to Braubach, where the only undestroyed castle on this stretch of the Rhine puts on a good tour -- Marksburg. (www.roadstoruins.com/marksburg.htm)

Other super castles to visit: Burg Eltz, west of Koblenz near Moselkern on the Mosel River (a 45-minute walk/hike from the station, however) and Reichsburg Castle in Cochem, right in town, further upstream from Moselkern. Also undestroyed, Eltz' furninshings are spectacular. Reichsburg was rebuilt in this century, but wow, what a place. Both have good tours.

www.burg-eltz.de
www.roadstoruins.com/Cochem.html

You'd be best off with a German Railpass for 4 days of unlimited travel ($174, $130 if travelling with a partner on a twinpass) if you're going to go all the way to Füssen. The railpass also includes travel on the Rhine River cruise boats (used to be completely free, but it may only be at a discount now.)

Hope this helps.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 04:43 PM
Thyra

In terms of being a woman alone, you should have no problems traveling in Germany, and I also agree with Russ that it would be worth you while to take the train. Trains in Germany are safe, easy and efficient. I also must agree with the above, Neuschwanstein was a fascinating place, but not terribly steeped in history, there are some terrific places in Baveria worth visiting (Munich comes to mind) . Also $225 for a one day tour even with lunch and a guide seems steep to me, you could easily do it for $50.00 if you take the train, pay for your entrance, take the tour, pick up a guide book and have a nice lunch. This area is so lovely, you will have a wonderful time

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 04:44 PM
Thyra

Woa, what the heck did I mean by that? It would be worth you while....try it would be WORTH your while... sorry.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 06:47 PM
dan woodlief

Personally, I would take the train. Hamburg and Munich are each are about 3:30 away from Frankfurt, and Rothenburg is maybe 2:30. The German trains are highly dependable and not very hard to use. Have done the Munich-Frankfurt route and found it fairly scenic. I would think Neuschwanstein would make a fairly tough daytrip from Frankfurt.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Nick Butkus

To see the best of Bavaria, you need a car. It doesn't matter if you're a woman, Germany is very civilized and probably safer than the USA. Go for the gusto & rent a car! (for $225 you can get a small variety for a week)

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 09:07 PM
Russ

Chitra: There are places you cannot reach in Germany by train -- but not many. You don't need a car to get where you're going if you don't want to drive, and if you're alone, it's quite hard to understand the allure of driving. There are around 40,000 km of track in Germany, and service at nearly all hours of the day. Here's a website with a diagram of the train lines for Bavaria that you might use for your planning; as you can see, the train seves a tremendous number of towns! Click on Eisenbahnkarte Bayern (Galerie) for the full map.

www.bayern-takt.de/

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 06:05 AM
xxx

If using the train, you might want to consider places closer to Frankfurt. Heidelburg is close by and easy to get to. Rothenberg is worthy (don't let switching trains deter you--the stations get progressively smaller from Frankfurt to Rothenberg and the connections are easy to make). Koblenz and/or Rudeshime (sp?)are great starting places for Rhine trips. Strassbourg, France was a 2 hour drive from Frankfurt (I am not sure of time by train). The cathedral there is breathtaking. I would HIGHLY suggest Trier, the Mosel River, and Burg Eltz over anything on the Rhine. However, your connections and travel times may not be as easy. I think whether you choose to do tours or trains depends on what type of traveller you are. You will see more on your own. But if you prefer, some commentary and company, a bus tour may be preferable. FYI-if you travel to Munich. Organized tours to Ludwig's castles are cheaper and less time consuming from there.