5 Days in Athens & the Mainland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our cruise ends in Athens 5/24/03 at 7:00am. Trying to decide where to go and how. Buy tours or rent a car? What are the must see's?<BR>Meteora? Delfi? We drove around Tuscany for a week 2 years ago, loved seeing little towns and eating in restaurants with the natives. <BR>Would appreciate any help re: car rentals, tours, time needed to travel. Thanks, Mary
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 04:20 PM

Hi,<BR>There are a lot of interesting sites to see. Delphi is one of them. You should rent a car and drive there and then take the car ferry across the Corinth Bay and drive to Nafalion (sp). In this area there are ancient Greek, classical Greek, and Venetian ruins and the town of Nafalion is lovely. Get a good guidebook, as they are very helpful to get you going. Also drive to the tip of the Sunion Peninsula and see the temple of Poseidon. The drive along the ocean is lovely. There is a small town along the way called Vari, (I think) where the village is dedicated to roast lamb dinners. All the vegetables and the lamb are delicious. If you so not like meat do not go there. They roast every part of the lamb and it is there for all to see. We have traveled to Monevasia on the tip of the eastern Mani. I love this town, but it takes a while to get there. I have not been to Olympia, but that is also a possibility. I have been to the monasteries at Meteora and they were not my thing, but others love them. The Pelion Peninsula is wonderful. It is near Volos. Have fun planning your trip.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you yipper. Your info was very helpful..............Mary
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 04:51 PM

Hi,<BR>I would suggest that you choose either Delphi and the Meteora region, or the Argolid area (where Nafplio is situated).<BR>Delphi and then west to Meteora is very scenic and probably the quieter option. There are also quiet, beautiful areas west of Meteora but the roads are very winding and arduous.<BR>The Argolid is a very easy area to visit. I agree that Nafplio is wonderful. It would make a good base for you to explore thae area. From Nafplio you can visit ancient sites or beautiful beach resorts - whatever you fancy.<BR>Re. getting there:<BR>I prefer independent travel but the drive from the Peloponese to Athens Airport can be horrendous due to traffic problems. If you do this allow a lot of time. You may be best to spend four nights in Nafplio and one at a beach hotel at Vouliagmeni (nice place not too far from the airport). That way you could get rid of the car the day before you fly home and take a taxi to the airport.<BR>Re. Delphi and Meteora, another wonderful place in the area is Galaxidi - very Greek in character, up market but not expensive, a small town on the water. We stayed there and used it as a base to visit Delphi. It has a lovely waterfront with great restaurants and is a much nicer place to stay than Delphi itself.<BR>One last idea re. transportation: if you go to the Nafplio area, you could take a train or bus to Corinth or Argos and hire a car from there.<BR>Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Bootman4U

You might also find it easier and more relaxing to take the usual four-day so-called &quot;classical tour&quot; out of Athens which generally includes Corinth, Epidaurus, Olympia, and Delphi. Most, if not all of the tour companies based in Athens offer it and you will definitely see the &quot;highlights&quot; in an easy manner. of course, if you're tired of the &quot;group thing&quot; then car rental might be more to your liking.