Reload this Page >

5 days around Frankfurt...what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 08:01 PM
Ken

I am going to be in Germany for 5 days at the end of April. Not familiar with the area at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on a couple of day trip, 'must sees'. Was thinking of taking the train to Munich for a day? I don't want to spend the 5 days constantly running, was thinking more of doing a day trip on day 1,3,5 and relaxing day 2,4. Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 10:27 PM
Art

There was another post re 3 days in Frankfurt a couple of days ago. With 5 days you could take a cruise up the Rhein, Visit Weisbaden, Wurzburg, have a nice dinner with apful wein in Sachenhausen across the river from Frankfurt. Heidleberg is also easy to reach.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 02:47 AM
Chris

Hi! In my opinion Munich is too far for a daytrip. Like the other poster said, Wuerzburg, Heidelberg, Wiesbaden, Mainz all make interesting visits, as do some smaller towns (Miltenberg, Fulda). Frankfurt itself merits a day; contrary to its reputation it does have some nice corners.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 06:20 AM
pat

Frankfurt indeed has some nice corners, Walking along the Main, and enjoy the Mainhatton skyline, i think you can enjoy your dinner in one tower and see the city light by night. Going to Goethe museum, old market place as well as old parliment.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Lee

Ken, being a former "Frankfurtian", there are some things that I would normally do on weekends, being that they are close enough to day-trip or just hang around in the city. <BR> <BR>For day-trips, I would head south to Heidelburg and spend a day in that charming university city lying by the Neckar River. Visit the Heidelburg Schloss (castle) above the river, also. Next, you could take the train over to the Rhine River valley and take in any of the great towns and view the many castles on either side. You could head over to Rothenburg and tour this virtually intact medieval town that dates to the 15th century. Every one of these is a winner. <BR> <BR>In Franfurt, you can visit the Romerplatz just on the north side of the Main River and take in St. Bartholomew's church. This is the reconstructed old town square with it's share of charm. Walk up (north) along the cafe's to the Hauptwache (main shopping area) and also see the Alte Opera. For a fantastic view of the city and river, pay a few marks and walk up into the steeple at St. Bartholomew's. It's great! Frankfurt is also home to the tallest building in Europe, the Commerzbank at 63 stories. <BR> <BR>Make certain that you cross the river (going south) on the Alte Brucke and head into the Sachsenhausen pub district along Rittergasse Strasse. This is where Frankfurt eats and drinks. It's a great area. Try the schnitzel and pils at Zum Bockchen. ask for "Edwin". <BR> <BR>You don't have to do all of these, just pick a few. <BR> <BR>Hope that helps with the choices. <BR> <BR>