Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

$439 Miami to Rome in Sept!! But is it worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found a fare using itasoftware.com for $439 from Miami to Rome...almost fell off my chair with excitement until I saw the carrier - Martinair. Didn't know who they were, but after some investigation on Fodors learned that they are the charter flight branch of KLM.

Apparently the catch is that because they are a charter co. if you miss your flight or if your plane has mechanical problems and can't fly you could be stuck for days (they don't have a big fleet to fill in for out of service planes). If this is true I doubt this will work for me since I just found out I'm going to be in a wedding two days after we are planning to get back from Italy But maybe it will work for someone else....
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:45 PM

There is probably ONE aspect of this you could control if you wanted to...getting to the airport on time.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 12:32 AM

Well missing the flight would certainly be because one did not check in on time for sure.

But mechanical problems?? One could be at the gate four hours early and still not be able to board because of mechanical problems!

Audrey, if you absolutely have to be back home in time for a wedding a charter could be a problem for you because as you said this charter branch of KLM does not have a big fleet.

Can you check on what the service records are for Martinair?

I fly KLM but not famaliar with Martinair.

$439.00 is sure a good price. Hard decision. If your flight was delayed 24 hours would you feel up to being in the wedding the day after you arrived home?

Good wishes to you on your decision.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:32 AM
P_M

If they are affiliated w/KLM, is there a chance they will fly you on KLM if such mechanical problems should arise? I would ask that question.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 05:10 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It appears Martinair is a Dutch airline. Their website only lists flights to Amsterdam from Miami but maybe Rome is a new route they are going to try. www.martinair.com or www.martinairusa.com
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 05:22 AM

Even IF there were a mechanical problem (and the odds are there will not be), being delayed one day would still give you a full day to get ready for wedding. Martinair actually has flights from Rome to Miama and vice versa every day in Sept except Sept 23.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 05:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
bardo1 - Where did you find schedules that included Rome?
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:21 AM

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/di...prego/calendar

enter miami to fco
enter sept 1 and 30 days after
click on "Martinair only"
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Martinair is a long-standing and quite reputable Dutch charter/semi-scheduled operator. If you use them you will fly to AMS then change to KLM the rest of the way.

One thing I've noticed about Martinair over the years are their very affordable business class-type seats, often competitive with coach costs on mainline carriers.

I'd check them out, but of course if your schedule can't tolerate any slack whatsoever, you'd probably play it safe. Book USAir, for example.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, good point Gardyloo, none of the airlines are that reliable these days. I would be fine to go to the wedding if we got back a day late, but I'm sure there will be pre-wedding activities to attend the day before as well. Not as important as the wedding, but still I'd really like to be there. And I'm not really sure what happens if the plan can't go (all I've read are past fodors posts), i.e. if they'll put you on another one or if you might be able to go on KLM....maybe I'll give Martinair a call and see. I'll post back here and let everyone know if I get more info.