40th Birthday England

Jan 13th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

40th Birthday England

I'm in the preliminary stages of planning a six week trip to Europe, and as it happens, will be in England over my 40th birthday. Any suggestions on where or how to celebrate? I was thinking Bath, staying at a nice hotel doing and doing a spa day, but can't seem to make the itinerary work. We will be in England September 11th - 24th, with my bday on the 20th. I'm looking for relaxation, a nice dinner, or some sort of fun activity - not a club or dancing or anything like that. Any suggestions? Or suggested itineraries to make Bath work (London, Oxford and the Cotswold's are the only places I know I want to go as of right now).
Jan 13th, 2016, 12:02 PM

Going by car or train to those English places - makes a big difference in itineraries - by train you could go to Oggsford first then Cotswolds and onto Bath but a car would be nicer for say the Cotswold Hills though there are buses and trains to many of the towns but bus service IME is not that frequent - depends whether you want a quick look or in-depth tooling around. If car I would rent in Oggsford - saving driving out of London and a day or so on a car rental. If going by train check on the Days Out of London railpass that covers trains to all those places - fully flexible just hop on any train anytime - also gives two airport transfers on airport express trains - details on English trains and passes - www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com.

If by car you may again want to pick up in Oxford and if in a hurry return in Bath and blast back to London on one of England's few high-speed train lines (well high-speed for the U.K. anyway) - again saving a day of car rental when in Bath where there is no need for a car. If a car and time driving back to London via Salisbury (a really neat old town with stunning cathedral) and Stonehenge and the Avebury Circle is easy - again may want to return the car in Salisbury and take the train into hectic London.
Jan 13th, 2016, 12:12 PM

"...can't seem to make the itinerary work."

What, exactly, isn't working?

When you say "a nice hotel", how nice? In other words how much are you will to spend? When I can afford them I enjoy country house hotels and you should be able to find one you'll like in the Cotswolds. Google "country house hotel cotswolds" for ideas.
Jan 13th, 2016, 12:40 PM

here's a couple of youth hostels in Bath to whet your appetite

www.royalcrescent.co.uk

www.thegainsboroughbathspa.co.uk/
Jan 13th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

I'm trying to spend at least 4 days in London and am willing to rent a car, which most of what I've read says to rent the car AFTER Bath, but if I do that, we're in Bath too early or too late. I'm sure I could figure out how to make it work with a little more research.

"Nice" hotel I would say about $300/night, I liked the Gainsborough in Bath but I just Googled for the country house and I like what I see! Any in particular you recommend?
Jan 13th, 2016, 01:15 PM

Olive, those sorts of hotels are usually beyond my budget and the one I have stayed in twice is not where you want to be.

One I know of in the Cotswolds is Barnsley House but I haven't been there since it was a hotel. I visited when it was still the home of the famous garden designer, Rosemary Verey. They do say they have a spa. http://www.barnsleyhouse.com

Have a look on Trip Advisor for reviews of any you're considering.
Jan 13th, 2016, 10:25 PM

Can you not go to Bath first?

Also what kind of $ are you talking about? Start thinking in real money (GBP) and we might have better ideas.

Search this Thread