Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon - 2 Weeks, 3 Locations (Paris, Madrid, Barcelona)

Old Jan 13th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Hello everyone! My fiancé and I decided to narrow our honeymoon to Paris, Barcelona, and Madrid
we are planning on purchasing airline tickets that arrive in Paris the morning of May 14th and leave from Madrid in the afternoon on May 29th.

to everyone that's been to these places, how would you split the days? I've been to Paris two years ago and my fiancé has not. We both haven't been to Spain before.

We do want to include day trips in each of these locations like Palace of Versailles and maybe one of the beaches near Barcelona and Toledo when we're in Madrid.

As for what we like to do, we're very different. I'm more of a fast-pace/city person. I get bored easily if I'm not on the move. I do love however looking at architecture and taking pictures. As for my fiancé, he's more relaxed (which is why I wanted to include a day near the beach or something for relaxation). If it also help, I'm in my mid-20s and he's in his mid-30s

Thank you for all your help
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 08:17 AM

A week in Paris and a week in Spain.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 09:02 AM

I'd also do a week (at least) in Paris since you will be jet lagged and will need some extra time in your first stop.

Then split the other week however you want in Spain. I'd do longer in Barcelona than Madrid myself.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 09:09 AM

If your fiancé is more about relaxation, maybe consider spending a bit more time on the beach or outside of a city than just a day? I definitely travel more like you fast paced city or adventure, and my fiancé is a beach bum lay around type. We're definitely going to have to compromise when we plan our honeymoon, but it'll probably be more than a day at the beach for his wants.

So maybe look at 4-5 nights in Paris, since you've been there and he's not so city oriented, with the daytrip to Versailles.

Then head to Barcelona and park your longest days there, 6-7 nights, and take a look at some of the towns on the Costa Brava to split nights between city proper and a coastal town? It would be a good change of pace, and I think the Costa Brava region for you would offer enough great landscapes and seascapes for photography. Cadaques and Begur come to mind, but there are other great options along the coast.

Then finish out your trip in Madrid, 4-5 nights, with the day trip to Toledo.

So this could be:

-4 nights Paris with Versailles
-7 nights Barcelona and Costa Brava
-4 nights Madrid with Toledo

or

-5 nights Paris with Versailles
-6 nights Barcelona and Costa Brava
-4 nights Madrid with Toledo

or

-4 nights Paris with Versailles
-6 nights Barcelona and Costa Brava
-5 nights Madrid with Toledo

Does your fiancé have more interest in Madrid or Paris? That might help you determine where to put the extra night if you keep Barcelona and coast to six nights.

Just a thought!
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 09:34 AM

IMHO Paris is worth at least twice as long as Madrid - but that's just my opinion.

I would have a look at the two cities and what each of you want to do/see in each city - so you can decide based on your wants - not just the opinions of others.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice

@nytraveler as I mentioned before, I've been to Paris before and my fiancé hasn't; he's not a big city person and probably would rather pick a beach. Just wanted to show him to where I've been.
I did research on Spain, but since we both haven't been there before, I'm asking for advice to people that traveled there on the good and the bad. To me, the actual experience of the traveler seems like a better opinion then what I'm reading/looking up
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 11:07 AM

What you're reading is also actual experience of travelers who've been there, and we don't know you any better than the authors of travel guides do.

That said, I agree with nytraveler. I find Madrid, apart from the amazing art, a hard city to embrace. If your husband prefers a beach, then go to Barcelona instead of Madrid, or the Costa Brava. Or just stay in France and go to the Atlantic coast to someplace like St-Jean-de-Luz, or to the Côte d'Azur.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 11:32 AM

Agree wit bot StCirq and Ny

Madrid is great but definitely can 'be seen' in much less time than Paris.

Barcelona is an easier city and is close to the sea - take a break to Sitges or Casteldeffels or ... to spend a day at the beach.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 03:06 PM

We have used this studio for the past 13 or 14 years. Great owners nice area.

Nadine Giblin
Studio 30 sqm Paris 9e near Montmartre
E-mail : [email protected]
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 06:38 PM

Well my experience with Madrid has not been good. It is one of only 2 places in eruope that I would not go back to (after more than 100 trips). To me it seems a lot like Chicago - a major city with lots of tall grey buildings in a hot, very busy city. (I have nothing against Chicago - I like it - but in the US. Don't want it in Spain). We didn't find too much to see/do and were ready to leave after 3 days, including a day trip to Toledo.

Barcelona is OK, but I'm not in love with it as many others are.

What we love in Spain is Andalusia since it is the most unique,with it's fantastic Moorish heritage. And we like the beaches in that area - esp Puerto Banus. Also love the Atlantic coast around San Sebastian for beaches in the middle of the summer.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 08:30 PM

The reason to read guidebooks is to understand what is in these places you are visiting. Take a look and see what moves you - in Paris is it the Eiffel Tower or the Louvre or Versailles or the lifestyle - eating in cafes, watching the street life, etc. So see what you - and your fiancé - find appealing about these places.

Other than the wonderful art museums, I found not much to love in Madrid.

If it was my honeymoon - and it isn't - I'd spend all of it in France, dividing time between Paris and the coast.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 10:37 PM

We go to Spain every year... visited Barcelona eight times , Madrid six ( last time in Oct) and number of other cities once or twice.
Paris , about twenty five times .

You might wish to do some research on on you own.
Some of the comments here are rather peculiar.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 01:27 AM

Both Barcelona and Madrid are fabulous cities and in very different ways. Medieval and cutting edge Barcelona with a strong regional (Catalan) identity and more popular with tourists (Gaudí "all over" the city, the Gothic quarter ++), and on the other hand majestic but yet very local feel Madrid with world class museums and wonderful parks (and the best nightlife, the madrileños are called Los gatos/the cats for a reason...). Everything from local feel tapas bars and everyday restaurants to spectacular dining in both cities.

I used to think that I loved Madrid more than Barcelona for the more genuine feel of it, but have come in serious doubts after several recent visits to Barcelona. Check out the Barceloneta district (just inland from the huge city beach with the same name) and the Poble Sec district at the foot of Montjuic (Jewish mountain).
Barceloneta: http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...taurants-spain
Poble Sec: http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/wv3/...to-bodega.html

I use to stay in the medieval and vibrant El Born district, a stronghold for Catalan identity and culture, some of the best tapas bars and restaurants in town and great nightlife. http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...s/el-born.html

And make a reservation in Tickets, tapas from heaven, fun and affordable for what you get, and now ranked among the 50 best restaurants in the world. You must make the reservation on midnight Barcelona time, 60 days prior to your visit, ten minutes after midnight all tables are normally gone: http://www.theworlds50best.com/list/...inners/Tickets
http://www.barcelonabook.com/tickets...estaurant.html

Ciutat Flamenco, the most cutting edge flamenco festival in the world, goes on in the Mercat de les Flors theater in Barcelona in late May. Plain fantastic Israel Galvan dances on May 20 and 21. Seen him many times live both in Spain and abroad, and recommend very much. Far away from the flamenco stereotype: http://mercatflors.cat/es/ciclesifes...co-men-2016-2/
Watch this, and you're sold ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l38omxKBjKw

These sites give good and updated info on both cities:
Madrid: http://www.esmadrid.com/en/portal.do
Barcelona: http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/