4 weeks in Sicily

Mar 5th, 2018, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

4 weeks in Sicily

My husband and I want to spend 4 weeks in Sicily next March, both in our 70s we are planing on spending a week in 4 different places just relaxing and soaking up the atmosphere. Canít agree on where we should go, so any surgestions would be most appreciated
Mar 5th, 2018, 05:51 AM

A month is a good amount of time to explore Sicily and associated islands. However, it is not a destination that lends itself to basing in one place for a week. Palermo and Ortygia would be my choices, but probably not for a week.

There are a number of TRs on this site from people who have visited Sicily that may help. If you could explain what you and your husband want ro see it might help us help you.
Mar 5th, 2018, 07:46 AM

Is there a reason you want to go in March, as opposed to April or May? I understand that the island is abloom with wildflowers during those two months, which would be beautiful to see. (I am planning to go back next spring, just to see the wildflowers). The weather should also be pleasant - mild and sunny, but not too hot.

As thursday suggested, if you let us know your interests it would be easier to advise you. Are you planning to have a car? That makes a difference as far as where you might want to base yourselves, but I do agree with Palermo and Ortigia, as possible bases. I also think there's enough to see and do in and around those two places to justify a week in each.

If you will have a car, I'd suggest somewhere in the southwest, which is much less touristy than other parts of the island, and since you want to relax, possibly an agriturismo out in the country amidst the olive groves would suit you. I did that last year and loved it.

Last September/October I spent a month in Sicily - sorry, no trip report yet - and stayed an average of 4-5 days in each place I visited, with occasional shorter stops here and there, and one full week in Ortigia, where I took an Italian course. It was a nice relaxing pace. Like you, my main goal was to relax and savor the atmosphere -- altho' it was my 5th trip to Sicily, so I did not feel the need to see everything. Again, if you tell us your interests, it will be easier to advise you.
Mar 5th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply . May be you could suggest some where else to visit,.
our main interests now are walking scenery and good food.
Mar 5th, 2018, 01:27 PM

From Palermo, you should go to Monreale, Scopello and the Nature Reserve, San Vito lo Capo, and in the opposite direction, Cefalu, a one hour train ride away. The beautiful temple at Segesta and its Greek Theater are also easily reached from there. On the west coast, the city of Trapani is a base for the Egadi Islands, Erice, the salt pans, Marsala, and Movia, and Segesta also. There are wineries in the countryside reachable from Trapani and Marsala.
In the SW, I stayed at an agriturismo in the countryside between Castelvetrano and Marinella di Selinunte, a beach town with the beautiful ruins of Selinunte, There is some lovely countryside to explore in the area.
Other places to visit in Sicily: Mt. Etna, the baroque towns of Modica, Noto, Ragusa; Agrigento; Piazza Armerina, Taormina (beautiful but very touristy). Enna, From Milazzo you can get to the beautiful Aeolian Islands, either on a day trip or to spend a few days.
Mar 5th, 2018, 01:38 PM

If in 70s investigate whether you can rent cars or not in Sicily - a month there would have been great with a car and maybe 4 bases - some where you are content just relaxing - maybe some seaside resort areas. Malta is easy to twin with Sicily - can take a ferry there. So maybe a week there?

If trains check www.seat61.com - BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com for lots of ideas and practical info. Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia for schedules. There used to be at least some cheap passes for Sicilty where buses at times better than trains.

Corleone could be an interesting stay but...
Mar 5th, 2018, 04:26 PM
kja

I agree with thursdaysd that Palermo and Ortygia are good options, and that the island as a whole is not well suited to bases -- but of course, it depends on what, exactly, you want to see and do. I would strongly encourage you to get a good guidebook, perhaps the Rough Guide, so you can learn about your options and decide what most appeals to you.
Mar 6th, 2018, 06:54 AM

Since you are going off-season, I suggest Taormina as a destination.
Agree with May time frame--awesome flowers.
Mar 6th, 2018, 07:17 AM

IS there an off season for Taormina? I was there in April 2006 and it was crowded then. Visit, yes, spend several nights there, no. The wildflowers were good in April, too.
Mar 6th, 2018, 07:28 AM

DH and I visited Sicily and used a taxi to Monreale and busses everywhere else. In blue below, we couldn't coordinate our time frame with the bus schedules. Taormina, we couldn't find a room in our price range. Book ahead if you go there. We took the train from Syracuse up to Sorrento and on to Rome. If you are staying only in Sicily, others can add WAY more than what we managed. We were there in March and were comfortable with sweaters at night but do check the weather online. We stayed in Palermo and Syracuse. Agrigento was also a bus trip. Friends have driven in the countryside and said no problem but I wouldn't take on city driving.

Palermo-with side trips to Monreale, Mondello, Cefalu

Agrigento-with sides to its ruins, Piazza Amerina

Syracuse-Noto

Taormina-
Mar 6th, 2018, 04:10 PM
kja

I was in Taormina in May of 2007 and found it unpleasantly overrun with tourists.