Reload this Page >

4-star hotel in London for under $80/night (US Dollars) in December 2002

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 09:32 AM
CM

I bought 5 nights at a 4-star hotel on the Thames in London from Tuesday, Dec 17 through Saturday, Dec 21 on Priceline.com. My plans changed, so I have to sell this to someone and am willing to do so at a substantial discount. Please go to my Ebay auction site to make a bid: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1944992068

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 01:05 PM
abc

Is this transferable??? CM, if you've purchased the hotel room under your name, then is the hotel okay with someone else checking in?<BR>

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 01:22 PM
xxx

Not normally. One of the deals about Priceline is that you can't transfer it. I'd avoid this one, folks.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Leslie

Here's the description from EBay. There really isn't any risk, based on the description. The hotel is the Thistle Royal Horseguards.<BR><BR>&quot;The dates for the stay are December 17 through December 21 (5 nights, checkout on Dec 22) I bought these rooms on Priceline.com, but my friend had to cancel her flight so I don't need them anymore. The regular price for the hotel is 175 pounds/night which is about $275/night, but I got it for much, much, cheaper. I found someone here who will take it, but I want to see if anyone will just pay me closer to what I paid. I am in London for the semester, studying law, so I will be here until December 20. I will personally meet whoever wins the auction and hand over the room after I check in. Alternatively, I can put that person's name on the guest list and they can check in themselves, whatever is easier. The hotel is really nice, it is on the Thames overlooking the Houses of Parliament. Visit their website at: http://www.thistlehotels.com/main/ho.../indexnn4.html for pictures and more information. This is a really good deal, there is no risk involved because I will personally hand over the rooms. I just want to get my money back! Also, Priceline only guarantees the room to accomodate 2, but chances are you can get 2 double beds, which means that 4 can sleep there.&quot;<BR>

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 04:06 AM
jen

&quot;There really isn't any risk&quot;???!!! How about the risk that &quot;CM&quot; will take your money and not show up at the hotel, and doesn'teven HAVE the Priceline deal that they claim to? <BR><BR>One of the key safeguards in dealing with ebay sellers is their feedback rating; this seller has a feedback of merely 4 and the most recent was in May 2001. I wouldn't touch this one.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 06:34 AM
xxx

And all 4 remarks have high praise. Sometimes you just have to have a little bit of faith.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Jen

A seller of a big-ticket item with 3 feedbacks (as a buyer) from 2000 and 1 from 2001 requires more than &quot;a little bit of&quot; faith.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 07:06 AM
xxx

So this auction is not for you, Jen. Stop beating a dead horse. Someone might just be interested and willing to take a chance.<BR><BR>If the item is a fraud, and someone is the successful bidder, they will have support from EBay.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 07:09 AM
jig

I sent an email to Thistle Hotels and to Priceline, so don't bother bidding on the auction. CM violated the terms of the auction and won't be able to sell his reservation.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Leslie

jig, if you did do as you said, why not be forthcoming and post under your real name, and add some legitimacy to what you have written? Besides, you don't have the Priceline confirmation number, or even know what the bidder's name is to even complain to Priceline or Thistle.<BR><BR>Sure there is a risk involved here, but if you can win the auction at a bargain price, it might be worthwhile to take a chance.<BR><BR>I can say that the Thistle Horseguards is the best Thistle hotel in the chain. Bids have been accepted through Priceline at various dates for as low as $75.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Jeez

Jeez, Jig - why not mind your own business? Was it really that important to you that he not break the rule that you had to &quot;tell on him&quot;?

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Leslie

I suggest that if someone is interested in bidding on this auction, and if you win it, that the best way to protect yourself would be to pay CM a small portion of the winning bid via Paypal, and then pay the balance to CM in person upon arrival at the hotel when you check in. <BR><BR>I would hope that CM would be amenable to this suggestion, as it has already been mentioned that there is some risk involved.