4 nights in East Sicily. Please advise the best itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are getting to Sicily from main land of Italy via Messina and will have a rental car. The best scenario- we'll get to Messina about 6 PM on Friday and would like to continue to a hotel in Taormina or Catania. We will stay in East Sicily Sat, Sun, Mon and have to start heading back to mainland on Tue before noon. There are so much to see and my plan GRANDIOSO includes Taormino's Roman amphitheater, Catania, Syracuse, Noto, Modina, Ragusa and the Doric temples in Argigento. The distances between the cities are short but reasonable part of me says that it is impossible in 3 1/2 days including Sunday. We have not been to Sicily before and having a car can be both blessing and curse considering parking in the city and driving conditions.

Any advice re: itinerary would be highly appreciated
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 10:56 AM

If possible, just stay in one place and drive from there. Others can suggest best places to stay with a car.

In my opinion, you could skip Agrigento and go to Piazza Armerina instead, but do google them as it's your trip.

I haven't been to Catania but don't remember why we ruled it out.
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 10:59 AM

PS-Please report back about how it went. Have a super time.
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 11:21 AM

Hi C,

Listen to your reasonable part. Yes, your plan is impossible with just 3.5 days. You must be the one to decide what your priorities are.

It may look like the distances between the cities are short, BUT some distances are longer than others and it always takes longer to get somewhere than you think or michelin maps tells you.

You don't say when your trip is.

You have nts and 3.5 days. Hard to really count half days because your main objective on those days is to be where you need to be for transportation. It sounds like you are coming via ferry to Messina?

If you really must see the Roman theater in Taormina, head there first and spend the night. See the theater and leave early in the morning for Siracusa. Spend your other 3 nights there.

There is no reason to try and see all 3 Baroque towns on a trip this short. Pick 1 and visit it as a day trip from Ortigia, which is where you want to stay rather than the main city of Siracusa.
Spend one day seeing Ortigia, a half day seeing the Arch Park at Siracusa, maybe on your arrival day in Ortigia.

A day trip to Agrigento will be a very long day. I also would recommend visiting the Villa Romana. It was the highlight of my 3 1/2 week trip.

Sicily has so much to see that 3.5 days is just a tiny little sample. Don't try to do too much. You would actually end up seeing less and spending more of your time in transit.

It's your trip so you must make the hard decisions. If you read all the trip reports here from those who have planned and visited for trips of different lengths, you will see that even people who had "longer" visits have had a very hard time deciding what to include.

Hopefully you live somewhere that will allow you to return!

Buon viaggio!
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 11:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
having visited many of those places in our 10 day trip in September, I can truthfully say that the nicest in which to stay is Syracuse, but it's not realistic to think that you could get there from Messina at a reasonable hour on the Friday, nor that you could get back to Messina on the Tuesday for 12 noon.

Catania is more central to the places you are interested in, but from all I read [we didn't get there] the traffic is hellish and getting in and out for touring every day would be a nightmare. Ditto Taormina where we did stay.

I think that you need to prioritise and as you say, be realistic. We didn't get to Agrigento in the 10 days we had so you are unlikely to be able to manage it either, but you should be able to fit in Piazza Armerina for the wonderful Villa Casale with its fantastic roman mosaics.

Whilst I dislike one night stands, in this case I think that spending the first night in Taormina would be a possibility, you could spend the evening walking around [after all the tourists have gone] and then make an early visit to the Temple before driving to Noto. Spend 2 nights there using it as a base to tour as many places as you can comfortably get to.

on Sunday travel to the villa Casale and spend the night in Piazza Armerina or, somewhere closer to Messina - there are some nice inns in the vineyards and woods on the slopes of Etna if that appeals to you.

You will then be within striking distance of Messina for your journey back to the mainland on the Tuesday.

BTW, you don't say what time of year you're travelling. That would be useful lot know.
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 08:48 PM
kja

A car is not likely to be helpful in Taormina. And while Taormina offers amazing vistas, it can be SOOooooo crowded with tourists as to be unpleasant. Plan acdordingly.

You do NOT have time to see Sicily’s highlights – that would take 2 or 3 weeks. If you have only 4 nights, you will have to be extremely selective. And with so little time and so many gems, I don’t see how any of us can offer reasonable advice – you really need to do your own homework on this one, IMO!

FWIW, I found the Rough Guide particularly useful, but would think consulting a few different guidebooks at your local library would be helpful.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 08:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think Agrigento is really part of an eastern sicily trip and since the roads up from the south are poor it would make more sense to come at it from the north east along the motorways. I might cut it this time. But I would priorities the Villa as Ann says.

Catania, I would also cut, just because it seems to have little of interest compared to the density of sites in other towns.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi to all Fodorors! I was surprised and overwhelmed by your replies, and I am deeply appreciative of the time you took to respond. I was not expecting to get so much information. I have proudly shared it with my skeptical husband!

I am familiar with a couple of your names from reading previous years' forums, especially Dayle's, as you described your Sicilian trip in such details. Remarks of all of you are equally important! Thanks again.

I 've failed to write that we suppose to get to Sicily on Friday June 2 living on Tue, June 6. As you correctly assumed via Messina. We will rent a car on mainland. Any suggestion whether it is better to depart from Reggio di Calabria or Villa San Giovanni?Are you familiar with ferry procedures?

Thank you for supporting my "reasonable" side. Based on this we have decided to stay 1-st night in Taormina, spend the evening to see the Teatro Greeco and in the morning head to Syracusa/Ortigia and make it our base for the rest of the trip (the 3 night+3 1/2 days). We will omit Argigento from the itinerary.
I have not decided which Baroque city to visit, but I am planning to stop at Villa Romana, as you have highly recommended. At this point in time to make hotel reservations is the highest priority, as it seems that entire world is going to Sicily in June! if you have any suggestions re hotels (and places to eat), it will be of great help.
Thank you very very much for advice and support.
Less anxious, C
PS Dayle, I have to re-read your road notes again. I remember you have mentioned hotel in Taormina and Syracusa and places where you have eaten.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 03:54 PM
kja

In Ortygia, I recommend L'Approdo delle Sirene:
http://www.apprododellesirene.com
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 04:36 PM
kja

And in Taormina, the Osteria Nero D'Avola.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 05:21 PM

C,

Grazie for the compliments. I am glad my long trip report might be of help. I certainly have benefited from others' detailed reports in my planning for trips to bella Italia! Just do what is reasonable and enjoyable. Sicily and the Sicilian people are wonderful and you will love what you see and do on this trip.

Im sure you will decide very quickly to return.

Buon viaggio!
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 10:13 PM

Hi cfvac1, I'm sure you're looking forward with anticipation to your trip!

Just a heads up that it will be warm in Sicily in the beginning of June, so bring some cool clothing.

You might like to read about our May 2016 trip to Sicily, which was the latter part of 5 weeks in Italy. Here's the link:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-in-italy.cfm

Scroll down about a third of the way to find the beginning of Sicily.

Links to photos of Syracuse, Noto https://flic.kr/s/aHskNJvNdk

Link to Taormina https://flic.kr/s/aHskTHhtr6

Link to Agrigento, Villa Romana del Casale https://flic.kr/s/aHskNgggZW

Link to Modica https://flic.kr/s/aHskRffLen

There are some events going on in June in the places you want to visit:

http://www.ticketone.it/biglietti.ht...ue&language=en

The Greek Theater in Taormina closes at 7 pm and probably earlier on concert days.

Syracuse also hosts Greek plays in the Greek theater during May and June.
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 07:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi cfvac - glad that you found our joint ideas of some help. I think that given the amount of time you've got the plan you've come up with is as good as any and certainly by being in Siracusa /Ortigia on your last night you will be able to get straight on the motorway back up to Messina the next morning, by which time you should have become more accustomed to dealing with Sicilian roads and drivers.

We enjoyed Ortigia very much not least because of the lovely hotel we stayed - the Hotel Livingstone - which I can thoroughly recommend. But I'm sure that the others recommended here are equally good if not better - you will be spoilt for choice both for accommodations and for where to eat as the food there is excellent.

I'm afraid I can't help with the ferries but it may be that someone else here can.

I'm sure that you will have a terrific visit and want to go back, as almost everyone who goes to Sicily seems to want to do. Buon Viaggio.
Old May 4th, 2017, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Hello Forum,

Thank you again for your support and great advice. I checked your listed links, sundriedtopepo. Very helpful.Thanks. I finished with reservations in Taormina and Syracuse. Now I have peace of mind. Planning what to do is fun! My husband is a big fan of the "Godfather" movie and was excited to learn that there is a tour to places where the Italian part of the movie was made. So, I may have to adjust the plans for "la familia" . Will share with you my Sicilian memories.

XO,
C