4 nights in Berlin

Jan 19th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Glenn

4 nights in Berlin

Spending four nights in Berlin in July. Have a hotel, but need suggestions for sights, restaurants, excursions etc.

Jan 19th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Lauren

I have a trip report on my 2001 two week home exchange in Berlin that includes most of the sites, Potsdam, etc.

I am happy to send it to anyone who wants it for reference.

Enjoy Berlin! It is a fabulous city.

Jan 19th, 2002, 09:22 PM
Linda

Berlin is a fabulous city. Sights: Checkpoint Charlie Museum, Pergamon Museum (entire ancient ruin), Templehof Airfield (Berlin Airlift), Reichstag, Unter der Linden, Kurfurstendammstrasse, KaDeWe Department Store, Olympic Stadium, Potsdam, zoo, Brandenberg Gate. Excursion to Dresden (2 hours south by rail).

Jan 20th, 2002, 03:24 AM
Ginger

Berlin Walks do a great Introduction to Berlin walk that lasts 3.5 hours. Meet at taxi rank at Zoo - cost DM 31. You'll need some kind of transport pass (one day pass can be bought from guide, but its more economic to buy a 3-day pass from tourist office if you plan to use S and U-Bahn and busses while you're there). If you buy your 3 day transport pass (DM32) before the walk you get a 25% discount on walk. All transport was easy to use. The No. 100 bus is great as it takes you around all the major sites, (assuming you have a transport pass you can just hop on and off).

Pergamon museum is superb (suggest you get the headsets as they give full background to exhibits), Ishtar and Market gates amazing and, if your feet can take it, it's well worth going upstairs to next level (beautifully decorated walls of an excavated Jordanian castle, marvelous carpets and prayer room from Allepo(sp)).

Egyptian museum interesting (if you want better explanation in English there are metal slates hung near floor level with English explanations). I thought Charlottenburg Palace a bit of a disappointment (although lunch in the Orangery there is nice for a casual type meal). I thought the grounds and the annexe nicer than palace.

Highlight of my trip to Berlin was the dome at the Reichstag. There's a sweeping double walkway and great views. Most moving site was the work of Micha Ullman (work viewed via ground level panel in the square in front of university).

The architecture of the new Jewish museum (a broken star) superb - although museum is a bit of a way out (around a 20 min walk from centre), "the void" exhibit in museum definitely worth visiting, the poetry (via headphones in Crusader section) utterly beautiful. There are many more things to see in Berlin, above, for me, were the high and lowlights.

Cost of taxi from Tegel to centre around 30DM.

I didn't take any excursions out of Berlin as once there I found there was so much to do.

Jan 21st, 2002, 09:00 PM
Lauren

Well, I missed the dome of the Reichstag and the Jewish Museum was not open when I went to Berlin last August. It was just too warm for the dome. In the heat, that dome turns into a reasonable facsimile of a sauna.

I guess I will just have to return--in spring or fall--to do that dome and the new museum.

Feb 9th, 2002, 02:13 AM
Mags

Glenn, I am so jealous! Berlin is my favorite place in the whole world; I was just there for 2 weeks over New Year's. My favorite part of Berlin is the Tiergarten. The Str. des 17. Juni goes up the middle of the park (named after the 1953 uprising), past the Siegessaule (beautiful monument; goddess of victory, I believe) and ends at the Brandenburg Gate. The Brandenburg Gate has been covered (for renovations, I heard) for my last two trips but I heard it should be uncovered this summer so hopefully you can see it. The Reichstag is right by the Brandenburg Gate, walk up to the top of the glass dome for a fabulous view.

In Mitte visit the Unter den Linden. I took the u-bahn to Alexanderplatz (the Fernseturm is close to there) and made my way west toward Unter den Linden. Many of the historic buildings are in this area. I love the Checkpoint Charlie Museum; it is fascinating. Checkpoint Charlie is at the Kochstrasse U-Bahn station (my friends and I had a hard time finding it initially).

Visiting the remaining portions of the Wall always remains a highlight--it gives me shivers. Visit the Topography of Terrors in Mitte, and my preference, I really enjoyed going to Bernauerstr. and seeing Wall remains there. Also definately visit the East Side Gallery (on the souteast side of Berlin.)

When I was in Berlin last August we took a boat ride around the river Spree. I highly recommend it! Great peaceful way to see Berlin (Museum Island, Tiergarten, Mitte,...). I have stayed in Charlottenburg both times and love Ku'Damm--from Adenauerplatz to the Wilhelm Kaiser Gedatniskirche (spelling?)--the famous bombed out cathedral that was left as a WWII memorial. Prenzlauer Berg is charming has many cafes with outdoor seating, great for July!

I haven't listed as much as others, but when I go to Berlin I tend to wander, prefering to explore all the neighborhoods and the charm inherent to each of them. These things were the highlights. Berlin is a fabulous city and I know you will enjoy your time there hugely!
Mags