Weekday flea markets in Paris

Aug 5th, 2001, 08:13 AM
andi

Weekday flea markets in Paris

I'm taking my 13-year-old daughter to Paris next April and really want to go the flea markets. The problem is that we're arriving on a Sunday morning and leaving on Saturday and the big ones are only open on the weekends. Has anyone been to any that are open weekdays and if so, which are the best? Thanks.

Aug 5th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Ursula

andi:
Marché aux Puces de Saint-Ouen (Porte de Clignancourt, 18th) is open also on Mondays from 9.30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
You will find all information like getting there, etc. at
www.les-puces.com
Site in English available!
Have fun ad go as early as possible!

Aug 5th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Susan

Andi, Here are a couple more:
Place d'Aligre (12th Arr), 25 Vendors, Mon-Sun, 9 am 'til 12:30 pm.
If you're interested in fabric, Marche Saint Pierre, Place Saint Pierre (18th Arr), Mon-Sun, 9 am 'til 7:30 pm. This is not too far from the one at Clignancourt.

Aug 5th, 2001, 03:30 PM
andi

Thanks. Just one more question (sorry). Is the one at Aligre pretty decent, with a good variety of stuff? Not looking for furniture, but just about anything else.

Aug 5th, 2001, 04:27 PM
JOdy

Hi , It all depends on what you are looking for,. Are you a serious collector and of what, are you a dealer, do you really mean flea markets ( tee shirts, African objects, postcards, not terribly good used clothing) or antique market??
There are wonderful buys for Americans, if you know what you want , know your prices, can recognize what is dreck and what is good. I have never gone to Vanves or St Ouen ( only the tourists call it clignancourt) and not found something that was not a great buy. But I know what I am looking for and waht the US value is, what I can sell it for or what I want to keep. Christofile is incredibliy cheap at st Ouen, it brings a great price here at home, have picked up Desvres majolica or Quimper for 1/6 of what I'd pay here. You have to know what you are looking for and what it's value is to YOU>

HAving said all that,
St Ouen -open sat-Mon, but most stalls will be closed on Monday. sat is the big day

Vanves-sat and sun, but again Sat is the best

Montreuil- Sat-Mon- again sat is best, but some lovely fabric and linens , if you don't mind seeing a lot of C**p first

Aligre- Tues-Sun- mornings, mainly furniture, decorater , items but there are 1 or 2 good jewelry designers among the permanet residents

Livre Ancien- sat and Sun- Books , and more books and wonderful finds , also engravings, maps and all sorts of paper, one of my favorites!!

Look for BROCANTE signs on lamp posts, or ask your hotel to see if there are any BROCANTES when you are there, it is just a wonderful french word for " good" junque! and are great fun to go to.

Aug 5th, 2001, 04:44 PM
andi

JOdy, Thanks so much. This is very helpful. I'm not looking for anything specific - maybe some decorative objects, clothes and jewelry. Who knows what'll strike our fancy. Given that, I'd guess that either Montreuil or Place d'Aligre will be fine. I just didn't want to get off the plane Sunday morning with my first-time visitor daughter and drag her immediately off to the flea market, but this is something I didn't get to do my last all-too-brief visit two years ago and want to this time, and I think she'd enjoy it too. Thanks again.

Aug 6th, 2001, 08:42 AM
carol

Hi Andi,

The Paris Tourist Office website (www.paris-touristoffice.com--my hyphen may be in the wrong place)provides schedules of local neighborhood flea markets (brocantes), with addresses, times, etc. Do a search within the "activities" field for "second-hand markets" and provide the dates you'll be in Paris. You may have to wait until 2002 to get specific information, but in the meantime, you can examine the site. I love these kinds of brocantes, they're a little closer to what we mean by flea markets, at least here in New York. The ones at the Place St. Sulpice and Rue Mouffetard were particularly memorable for me, I hope they're scheduled when you're visiting.

Aug 31st, 2001, 10:45 AM
Jody

to the top

Feb 9th, 2002, 04:44 AM
chapeau

topping for more!