4 days to Italy trip-panic sets in!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are leaving for our trip to Italy in 4 days. I thought I was set...as far as decisions about places to visit and things to do. After reading a few more threads over the last few days, I'm having second thoughts. We are spending 2 1/2 days in Venice and 3 days in Florence. In Florence, we are doing a cooking and winery tour one of the days. The other day, we were going to take the train to Cinque Terre. I'm concerned that Cinque Terre is pushing the agenda. With such little time, should be stay in Florence the extra day?? We are looking for a day just to walk and soak up some beautiful scenery. We are tying to keep in mind that this is our first trip overseas. Is Cinque terre to far away and too busy to do this? Any last minute suggestions? Are there any small costal villages near Florence that are easily reached? Thanks!!
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:41 AM

>I'm concerned that Cinque Terre is pushing the agenda.< - You're right to be concerned; go to the CT on your next trip, when you have more time.

>With such little time, should be stay in Florence the extra day??< - Yes; there is much to see and do there.

>Are there any small costal villages near Florence that are easily reached?< - No.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Skip Cinque Terre. Stay in Florence if you want to walk and soak up beautiful scenery.

I'd recommend going to Boboli Gardens and the Pitti Palace, and then taking the walk up to Piazzale Michaelangelo for a beautiful view of Florence.

Is your goal to hit the beaches or see a body of water? If so, then I would have suggested you have chosen Naples, where you could have been closer to the bay and taken a hydrofoil over to Capri and AnaCapri.

Florence is close to many coasts. Via Reggio if you're into the beach, Livorno if you want to see the port... both are easy to reach by train.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:45 AM

With only 3 days in Florence and one is a tour day, I would not got to Cinque Terre. It is too far for a day trip and part of the charm of that area is the walking which you wouldn't have time to do much of. There is so much to see and do in Florence that I would suggest staying put. I haven't been there yet, but my next trip I plan to take the bus to Firsole (sp) or go up to the Piazza Michelangelo to get the view of the rooftops of Florence.

Save Cinque Terre for your next trip and give it the time it deserves.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:54 AM

i don' think you'd enjoy CT with the schedule you have planned and would suggest spending the day in Florence. If you want to get a little bit out of the city, you could try Fiesole one afternoon.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Do not feel you have to go to Cinque Terre, it was a lovely place, hills by the sea and little secluded towns, now it is a place packed with tourists. On the other hand Florence, even with tourists, still is a fascinating place. Have a meal a la Casaligna, inexpensive and great food.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Skip CT and do Florence which could include a daytrip to Sienna,Pisa or a few hour trip up to Fiesole(really great views and ruins just 20 minutes by local bus) as others have suggested.
Since this is your first trip overseas, don't overplan as you will be coming back I am sure in the near future.Where are your flying in and out of?
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 08:25 AM

I am going to join the rest of the chorus and recommend that you skip CT. There is so much to see and do in Florence that you probably will not get to see everything you would like in the little bit of time you already have. When you get home start saving and planning your next trip to include CT as I believe Italy will draw you back over and over again. Enjoy.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Hi kstoby if you finally focus in Florence the important part is that you realize that the charm of Cinque Terre, is gone in great part.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Ditto skipping the CT. You will be very disappointed to see the sea of tourists there during the day.

If you feel you must do a day trip, you can go to Siena (by bus) or Lucca (by train, town less crowded than Siena) for half a day. Fiesole is easier and close by city bus #7.

If you must see the beach, go to Viareggio. (Or pop over to Lido while you are in Venice.)

Make sure you go up to Piazza Michalengelo, see if you can time it for sunset and then watch the lights twinkle on as the church bells toll. Magical.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM
ira

Hi K,

Wait until you get to Florence to decide.

If you want to go to the CT, all you do is go to the train station and buy a ticket.

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 10:05 AM

I agree with the opinions to stay in Florence. The train will take 2.5 to 3.5 hours each way,with one change.So, it can be done,but not the most relaxing day.

You can day trip to Lucca or Pisa by train or to Siena..
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 10:08 AM

I think you should "skip" Cinque Terre, on this trip. I think it is too many places for the time you will be there. The extra day in Florence would be my choice, and If you do want to try for a day trip, I suggest Sienna, as it is a "very easy day trip" to make from Florence. It will be an enjoyable town to see for a day.
After your cooking and winery tour, you may enjoy some of the wonderful art and culture Florence has to offer.
If you enjoy art, Florence is a jewel!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 10:13 AM

kstoby,

What "cooking and winery tour" are you taking?

I second the Piazzale Michaelangelo recommendation; it's a must see.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 10:28 AM

If it was me I would go shopping for a day in Florence ! I was there last week and the winter clothes were just being put out and the summer sales starting.

If not go to Siena - see a few sights and have a nice long lunch in the Campo